Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newboat2016

Just ordered my first drone

39 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, newboat2016 said:

I'll use You Tube when I post mine.

Possum  Kingdom?  Where the heck is that and why would anybody name a place that? Unless of course, it's full of possums. LOL

It's west of Dallas Ft Worth Texas, the only US site for Red Bull's International Cliff Diving Series.  Oh and yes, plenty of Possum's

The biggest problem I seem to be having is seeing the video on my phone in the sun light!

13 hours ago, newboat2016 said:

The biggest problem I seem to be having is seeing the video on my phone in the sun light!

I turn up the screen brightness and disable auto-brightness, before hooking it to the phone.

my biggest issue is that the phone has lost signal a couple of times.  I discovered the cable doesn't always "snap" all the way in.

Awe man, I crashed the Mavic!  I'm so stupid!!!  My indoor cat jumped the fence and my grandson was worried about him.  The kids were swimming in the pool.  I wasn't worried because he does it every chance he gets.  But to turn their worry into fun, I ran inside, booted Mavic and came back.  I took off and hovered until home point was locked.

I ascended high enough to get over my tree, so I thought.  As It was hovering and I walked around to get a visual, I got around just in time to see that I wasn't quite high enough.  Just as I started to climb, the wind blew a fledgling limb into a rotor.  Down she came through the tree and landed on my rocky dry river!  Doh!!!

The grandkids were stunned, eyes wide and hands over their mouths.  It worked, no one was worried about the cat.

Now I'm 5 days into DJI Refesh.

2 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Oh man!!  So DJI is going to repair it for you?

Yes,  either that or I will choose to use a refresh for 79 deer. 

8 minutes ago, Duane2135 said:

Yes,  either that or I will choose to use a refresh for 79 deer. 

Not a bad deal!

Wow Duane! Sorry to hear that. I haven't been flying mine as much as I'd  like because I've been dealing with a death in our family.  From what I hear from other drone owners, it's not if you crash, but when!

I've had a couple of brief flights from my boat and luckily I haven't crashed mine or sunk it, but I've had a couple of times where the video dropped out and I wasn't quite sure where the drone was. It's really easy to have it "disappear" against a background of distant trees.  Luckily, the return to home feature has brought it back close enough for me to get a visual, then I take back over and land it.

I think DJI Care Refresh is a great program, even though I hope I never have to file a claim.  

On 7/21/2017 at 4:18 PM, Duane2135 said:

Awe man, I crashed the Mavic!  I'm so stupid!!!  My indoor cat jumped the fence and my grandson was worried about him.  The kids were swimming in the pool.  I wasn't worried because he does it every chance he gets.  But to turn their worry into fun, I ran inside, booted Mavic and came back.  I took off and hovered until home point was locked.

I ascended high enough to get over my tree, so I thought.  As It was hovering and I walked around to get a visual, I got around just in time to see that I wasn't quite high enough.  Just as I started to climb, the wind blew a fledgling limb into a rotor.  Down she came through the tree and landed on my rocky dry river!  Doh!!!

The grandkids were stunned, eyes wide and hands over their mouths.  It worked, no one was worried about the cat.

Now I'm 5 days into DJI Refesh.

Keep us updated on how it goes with DJI.  They are one of the WORST companies known to man for customer service and wait time for repairs.  You will most probably not get back YOUR drone but somebody else's problem as a replacement.  I hope you have good luck as I recently bought the P4P and have not had good luck with the ridiculous NFZ's they are imposing making difficult to travel with it and be able to even fly it.  

So far so good, fingers crossed.  They quoted $370, to repair.  I took and paid for a refresh.  I realize I'll get a remanufactued unit.  As long as I get back a working unit I'll be happy.  I shipped it from TX last Monday, they received it Thursday and quoted me Friday night.  I paid, now waiting for status change indicating shipping. 

I have read about the slowness of their repair, but so far, everything seems to be going ok.

6 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

So far so good, fingers crossed.  They quoted $370, to repair.  I took and paid for a refresh.  I realize I'll get a remanufactued unit.  As long as I get back a working unit I'll be happy.  I shipped it from TX last Monday, they received it Thursday and quoted me Friday night.  I paid, now waiting for status change indicating shipping. 

I have read about the slowness of their repair, but so far, everything seems to be going ok.

Just an FYI AirVenture has an area now for drone mfgs and there are a ton.  They even have a outdoor cage to test fly.  I know they had it last year but stopped this year and impressed how big it is.  Just another reason to get back Duane :)

16 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

New Mavic showed up, thanks to DJI Refresh.  All test out fine so far. :) 

Good to hear!!