newboat2016

Just ordered my first drone

On 1/19/2019 at 4:16 PM, tomnjo said:

Also, I wonder if I can call in the morning and give a time or if I have to call just prior to takeoff.

For small, uncontrolled airports (assuming they even answer), it's usually enough to speak with them and let them know you'll be flying periodically in the area, and that you'll be under 400 feet.  The "sUAV Rules and Regulations" forum on mavicpilots.com is a great resource for airport notification, both from knowledgeable people, and real-world experience with various airports and heliports.

Been doing some other research. I have two hospitals within 5 miles of a couple of areas that I may be flying. Called both and explained why I was calling and was directed to their security departments and was given their numbers to call when I fly. I am on the very outer fringes of both of these hospitals, so it's not like I'm going to be in the way. Just want to follow the rules. There is an airport by the river where I plan to fly. Called the number and it is only answered Monday through Friday. So I guess I can call Friday and leave a message for the weekend. I'm more concerned about the airport anyway, since it sits in the cornfields only a couple of miles away from the beach area of the river.

Just read this article about Boeing. I was kinda surprised that they are getting involved in this area. Stretching this into the furture, I wonder when Boeing will announce an autonomous B-797x.

Cargo crews will be first to disappear, if the plane crashes, no people onboard will parish. Once they get the bugs out, commercial would be next. A dispatcher sitting in an office far far away will take control of the plane if necessary.

https://www.aviationpros.com/news/12440901/boeing-autonomous-passenger-air-vehicle-completes-first-flight

So some kid that is good at video games will be my pilot?  :slap:   I'll drive myself.  :)

Look at it this way. Those of you who own and operate a drone are simulating on a small scale whats coming in 20 years or so. You're the pilot on the ground commanding what the plane will do without you in the cockpit.  Can't wait to see when an airport does a ground stop and all planes have to divert. The good side is that there is no crew time out. Robots will fill the plane on arrival which is calculated by a computer at a airline contractor facility. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, SST said:

Look at it this way. Those of you who own and operate a drone are simulating on a small scale whats coming in 20 years or so. You're the pilot on the ground commanding what the plane will do without you in the cockpit.  Can't wait to see when an airport does a ground stop and all planes have to divert. The good side is that there is no crew time out. Robots will fill the plane on arrival which is calculated by a computer at a airline contractor facility. 

I tell you what, I know Jeff had lost his drone (not sure if he mentioned it on this thread or another), but I remember he said it took a header into the water and for what I paid for that Mavic Pro, not sure, but I might've been better off letting it go today. 

You know how I always catch it for my son bringing it in to the boat because it's tough to land when the boat is rocking etc.?  But guess what, he's gonna have to learn how to do it no matter how rocky it is because I'm never catching that thing again.  Not only did I almost go take a header into the water but after catching it, it has a tendency to rev its blades even more when you hold on to until he shuts her down and as I'm holding on trying not to go overboard, the right side of my face made for good brakes LOL!  I look like I just had a brawl with a mountain lion, kinda like what almost do here on this forum on a daily basis. :haha-7383: One guy at the marina asked what happened, I said "you should see the other guy! :D Luckily no stiches needed.

You need to build a portable helipad for your drone in all conditions:

1 hour ago, SST said:

You need to build a portable helipad for your drone in all conditions:

Yeah, right.  I've seen that video before and it's amazing.  Talk about a well-trained helo pilot because he saw the break in the wind and swells when he decided to bring her down.  Patience was the key. 

Well, yesterday after putting ointment on it (specifically Bacitratin). it's actually looking a lot better than when it first happened and even a few hours later as the swelling was in full force.  I just wanna minimize scarring as much as possible.  Not that we have a lot to work with in the first place but don't need to look like Al Pachino in Scarface, either! :D 

Zqewu1wb.jpg

Geez...the Coast Guard is gonna think your a runner gone bad with those slices on your face!

I think HG better get that cat declawed.  :scratchchin:

Funny I was telling a friend I downsized the pic to post it so that maybe it would limit the ball-busting but I like it anyway.  Most people who ask me what happened instead of saying you should see the other guy, now I telling people you should see the cougar. :D

I have to hydrogen peroxide it a few times a day to limit the scabbing and then add the Bacitracin to keep it moist and infection free.  

I have had the props on mine hit my shins but have never broken the skin. They DO hurt, though. I just have a cheapy Holy Stone drone. Flies nice, has all of the GPS, follow me, and return home features. Just doesn't take stable videos unless the air is dead calm.

20 hours ago, tomnjo said:

I have had the props on mine hit my shins but have never broken the skin. They DO hurt, though. I just have a cheapy Holy Stone drone. Flies nice, has all of the GPS, follow me, and return home features. Just doesn't take stable videos unless the air is dead calm.

Yeah the pain at first wasn't as bad as the shock of what happened.  Then I had to deal with my son's guilt because he felt really bad and thought that he might've been too slow shutting her down and this might've not happened.  But  I told him no worries, @#$%@# happens wahatayagonnado?  Not a big  deal and the hydrogen peroxide is working well, keeping it from scabbing up which is the whole trick, I guess. 

The problem is we just don't want to ruin our upholstery on the rear sunpad since it's in excellent condition, as is all other vinyl.  So unless I put some type of hard surface on it, then I have to catch it.  I'm going to see it I can make a foldable, 1/4" PVC surface that can cover most of the pad and draw a center circle in it like they do on helo pads for helos to land on, lol.  It's not only the blades, it's me taking a dixie off the boat trying to hold on the dam thing! lol

But what is really freaky is that once I grab it, its sensors are so sensitive it thinks either it's getting tangled up in a tree branch or catching a vicious wind gust and so the blades rev even higher.  And I mean REV! lol  Problem with having a hard surface landing pad is the added extra weight which I am pretty cognizant of.  I've already added about 40 - 50lbs with the new windlass anchor but almost all boats have those so it didn't concern me much.  Also now I'm adding the bow thruster which is MORE weight.  But hey, like the Irish say, tis whatit is. 

In all of the research I have done, catching the drone when flying it from the boat is how most people do it. Even when I land mine on the ground it revs higher and does a bounce or two. The instructions say to pull both joysticks down to stop it. The only problem is that if it is slightly in the air when you do that, the right joystick will try to make the drone pitch in that direction and I think it makes it rev to do so.

I land mine on the hardtop.

I know you were upset that I did not comment on your post after tagging me.

A little late but......................PUTZ!

You asked for it, looks like you will survive!

This thread made me go out in the yard and play with mine. I tried shutting down the remote in mid flight and it returned to it's takeoff point to make a landing. Not ideal in a boat. So I tried hovering it over me, about 15 ft. high or so, then hit the auto land button. It did a large drop at first, which was kind of scary, but then slowed down. I reached up and grabbed it, it revved up but I kept holding it in the same position without trying to lower it or move side to side. The engines did shut down after about 5 to 7 seconds. I guess it thought it had landed.

5 hours ago, jeffk said:

I land mine on the hardtop.

I know you were upset that I did not comment on your post after tagging me.

A little late but......................PUTZ!

You asked for it, looks like you will survive!

You know, we knew the days of chivalry was a thing of the past,  but now you cant even trust a private conversations to anyone!  

You just got a bug up your $^& because the Giants look like dog @#$%@# getting blown out by the Cowboys while the Pat's picking up Antonio Brown and blowing out the Steelers in the first game looked like the Haulover Inlet on a Salsa weekend! Lol 

6 hours ago, tomnjo said:

In all of the research I have done, catching the drone when flying it from the boat is how most people do it. 

I must've done it 30+ times between last and this season and always held it at a good distance until it freaks out with that revving thing it does and shuts off.  I blame the guy that threw his wicked wake on us and threw me off balance. :D

9 hours ago, Hatem said:

I blame the guy that threw his wicked wake on us and threw me off balance. :D

Some one on here?  :scratchchin:     :haha-7383:

5 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Some one on here?  :scratchchin:     :haha-7383:

Hahaha, now that is funny!  I don't think that guy comes up this way and if he does, I'd recognize him in a second anyway.  I know his boat, his marina all that stuff. 

But that was good, especially the way he's been going nutty around here imagine if he started bringing that @#$%@# to the water?  Him and his boot-licking donkeys lol! :D 

I was hoping you would take that better than my meddling joke that offended the Australian guy that was on here. I really still feel bad about that. I didn't stop to think it was probably not as much as a headline down under.