Jeff Okun

Definitely a fuel tank leak

I remember speaking with Chap customer service when my recently filled tank being to leak. I told them their boat had turned into a bomb. If it blew up, then the adjacent boats and marina would catch fire and my boat has Chaparral in big letters on each side.  There was a pause on the other end of the line and then the reply, "we will stand behind that".

The scariest part for me was climbing down into the engine bay and disconnecting the bilge pump just before the float was about to lift and pump gas into the bay. Thankfully there was no spark when I unplugged the bilge pump.

A real filled with fumes & air, bilge, is Russian Roulette. I would always want to blow fresh air into the boat for several minutes. like a leaf blower from outside the hull for 5minutes.  Then.

Crap. I really would not want to do it at all. My luck the float switch might be ready to ignite. Even a  " POP  " would scare the devil out of me at that time.

I did mix up explosive mixtures for a living at a job for a company that made street gas leak detectors. Grounded copper tank. Roof vent when I screwed up. I was a jumpy, startled guy, for weeks after being transferred to a safer engineering dept.

Just discovered my leaky fuel tank. 2005 Signature 270. It appears to be a construction defect as the no drain hole exist to allow water to drain from the enclosed tank area water from above entry points may have been in there for years unknown to me. This is obviously the cause of the tank failure due to corrosion. I pulled out over 14 gallons of gas and water. Now have the rest of tank pumped out. Waiting to get a response from Chaparral.

MCCFIN, mr name is Jeff Okun,  my boat is being torn apart as we speak for a leaking fuel tank. We tried calling Chaparral customer service and were referred to a dealer as in we don't deal with complaints . Went to a dealer in ft Lauderdale, fl ( intermarine ) at first they said no problem, we will call Chaparral customer service and see what they offer. They then got back to us and said Chaparral will supply me with a tank free of charge. But then they refused to do the repair so we6 had to move to another mechanic.  We were told by a rep that chaparral will give us nothing. Were u able to contact chaparral?  If so how did you?

These weeping holes in the bulkhead aft of the tank directing water from mid bilge to aft bilge are the problem on many Chaparral built boats. Pure and simple case of lousy workmanship that can result in loss of property, serious enjuries, and deaths.

That weeping hole on my boat was partially and permanently blocked during the production process. The haphazard approach, unfinished rough surface and construction debris left by Chaparral production crew block the hole completely by the time we bought it. Since then I have redrilled the hole to make it bigger and refinished with gelcoat so the debris that still collect in mid bilge and float aft do not get stuck. Not a complete solution as the water still gets dammed by uneven surface behind the hole and beyond my reach. There is constant moisture under the fuel tank, but it does not sit in standing water at least.

Take away from this unfortunate experience of so many Chaparral boat owners ...

In addition to any marine survey, inspect the D.A.M.N. boat yourself from the top to very bottom before or after the purchase and pay attention to the tiny details like missing or blocked weeping hole, unsealed screws and bolts, unrepaired misdrilled holes, loose or disconnected hoses, and most important ... the environment the fuel tank sits in, as well as its fill and vent hoses, connections and fill port.

BTW, if this sounds like unofficial CHAPARRAL BOATS indictment, it is ... and food for thought!

55 minutes ago, Richard W said:

These weeping holes in the bulkhead aft of the tank directing water from mid bilge to aft bilge are the problem on many Chaparral built boats. Pure and simple case of lousy workmanship that can result in loss of property, serious enjuries, and deaths.

That weeping hole on my boat was partially and permanently blocked during the production process. The haphazard approach, unfinished rough surface and construction debris left by Chaparral production crew block the hole completely by the time we bought it. Since then I have redrilled the hole to make it bigger and refinished with gelcoat so the debris that still collect in mid bilge and float aft do not get stuck. Not a complete solution as the water still gets dammed by uneven surface behind the hole and beyond my reach. There is constant moisture under the fuel tank, but it does not sit in standing water at least.

Take away from this unfortunate experience of so many Chaparral boat owners ...

In addition to any marine survey, inspect the D.A.M.N. boat yourself from the top to very bottom before or after the purchase and pay attention to the tiny details like missing or blocked weeping hole, unsealed screws and bolts, unrepaired misdrilled holes, loose or disconnected hoses, and most important ... the environment the fuel tank sits in, as well as its fill and vent hoses, connections and fill port.

BTW, if this sounds like unofficial CHAPARRAL BOATS indictment, it is ... and food for thought!

this is why all the chap homers disagree but have said it for year chap is an average constructed boat.

What happened to more  money buys higher quality.  ?   There is a massive difference between sloppy / greedy & possible fire & explosion.

I've read so many stories about this issue with Chap Signatures.  So, I have decided one will not be in my future.  Sad because it's always been a dream to have a Chap cruiser.  Still may buy a cruiser, but it won't be a Chap.  Lately, I've been thinking of keeping it simple with my existing boat and adding an RV to the mix.  I think of it as a dream being modified for lower maintenance.