wijeff

Marine battery what's your brand

32 posts in this topic

I am looking for two new AGM Marine battery's just wanted to see what's the worst and best  .

Whats your preferences 

1 Warranty ,  2 Amp Hours  , 3 Price

Who sells them 

What's your thoughts thanks happy boating to all 

I bought mine at Walmart I don't know the particulars but the price was right. I did make the mistake of listening to the shop and getting two deep cycle batteries instead of one starting one deep cycle. That's why i take an emergency battery along 

Edit:

Everstart Maxx 24dc:

2 Year free replacement

85 min. reserve

71.00 ea. on sale at the time.  

I also take an Optima group 27 as a back up. 

I have 3 of the Optima blue top batteries, 2 are used for starting and one is used for the bow thruster. 

I also have 2 AGM batteries that I got from Batteries + for the house batteries. All the batteries are 3 to 4 years old and going strong. 

I had all lead acid before and I have a hard time maintaining the water in them and that just kills them. Also the battery for the bow is a little tight to install so it helps to have a battery that I can turn on it's side.

I also have 2 Optima Blue Tops. If I recall I have a D27M and a D34M. Maintenance free so far and have always done the job. 

I have had them for 3 season with no issues. I was happy enough with them that when I upgraded my boat last year I took them out of the SeaRay and put them in my Chap. 

I have a Duracell AGM from Walmart.  It's made by DeKa, and an Interstate cranking.

I bought mine though Sears, which are made by Odyssey. Sears no longer has them, but and of course Odyssey has them. Also branded under X2 Power, Northstar and more.

Depending on which label, their warranty may differ. X2 Power has a 60 month replacement. Also in the first post their is no mention on which group size. So size for size, the Odyssey will give you more CCA and Amp Hours then a wet cell. This battery can do starting and deep cycle, so it has a high CCA and can last just as long if not longer than a deep cycle battery in its size. 

It can take the cold to -50 and in those winter months only lose 2% per month. So I don't remove them or charge them when on the hard. I just disconnect then grounds and in the spring do a load test. Which makes it a whole lot easier!!  This spring, after powering up the two chargers. It took about 4 to 5 hours for the chargers to go into a maintenance mode.

I have 5 of these on-board and have used them over the past 10 years. I only have good to say about them.

I run the Interstates with no issues, pull them before winter and keep in the basement.  Put them in and fire right up.

Chaparral dealer put in Lee brand marine batteries this year as old ones were starting 6th year.  Same brand was taken out and never had any problems with them.

I see a pattern developing. If you get one built correctly.  Happiness. Brand is not important.

This is a very tricky question actually. There are 2 main SLA battery manufacturers, Johnson Controls (marketed under Interstate for themselves) and Exide. Most SLA auto/marine batteries you can buy in the US are made by one of these two. Most AGM batteries are made by Johnson Controls (Optima), East Penn (Deka),  EnerSys (Odyssey), and I think one other.

Currently Everstart from Walmart is Johnson Controls, until a few years ago Everstart was all Exide. Other companies, who knows who they are using for their branding and some use multiple manufacturers. IIRC Duracell branded AGM batteries are from East Penn. The only way to know for sure who made the battery is to look on the MSDS for the manufacturer which should give you some clue.

I have two AGM's from West Marine, new this year.  East Penn makes West Marine's batteries right now.  The warranty's dropped in the past couple years though, now it's only 18 months on the AGMs

By waiting for a combination of sales, coupons, and reward certs, I was able to get them for between $75 and $100 off each battery.  So far, so good, but it's also year 1, and I'm fanatical about optimal charging/maintaining when the boat's not in the water and running. 

In my Signature 290, I have Die Hard Gold AGM group 27s, which I believe are Deka made.

I looked hard at the North Star, looks like great batteries, but price was higher.  Almost went with them.

I wonder how many long cranking engines have very short lived batteries ?

Get your engines to start in a 1/2 second when warmed up.  Or about 1 to 2 seconds if at 32F.  Frost morning.

I opted for a pair of Interstate AGM batteries on my new boat.  Never having to check water levels and the slightly smaller size made it easier to have them installed in a more remote spot than if I would have had to worry about regular water checks, etc.

Have Interstate wholesaler nearby so I go with them. Around (1) small herd/ea. one starting one starting/deep cycle. 

On 11/26/2017 at 6:47 AM, newboat2016 said:

I opted for a pair of Interstate AGM batteries on my new boat.  Never having to check water levels and the slightly smaller size made it easier to have them installed in a more remote spot than if I would have had to worry about regular water checks, etc.

AGM batterys have a different charging voltage. I am sure that you have set your charger to AGM, but for the benefit of others.    

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, Iggy said:

AGM batterys have a different charging voltage. I am sure that you have set your charger to AGM, but for the benefit of others.    

Very true!  In my case, I don't even worry about a charger.   My 4 year old standard wet cell batteries had not problem lasting through the winter last year, so I certainly  don't expect the new AGM's to have an issue either.  I just leave  my batteries on the boat, with the battery switch off, so there's nothing to drain them.  Sometimes I think boaters worry too much about keeping their batteries charged!!  Batteries hold a charge longer than many people think!

I would remove the ground cables. I too leave my batteries on board with out a float charge. But I would use the right type of charger. 

That would do 2 things. Your batteries would be fully charged and last longer. But that's me...... 

But I am not sure what type or size boat you have. Mine is in its slip mid May and out mid Oct. 

I leave it all connected because I have an outboard and if there's a nice day in the winter (I'm in Virginia), I can take it out on the lake! Today is a perfect example. It's 68 degrees, no wind and no clouds. I'll be on the boat in an hour or two having an adult beverage and smoking a cigar!! :)

2 hours ago, newboat2016 said:

I leave it all connected because I have an outboard and if there's a nice day in the winter (I'm in Virginia), I can take it out on the lake! Today is a perfect example. It's 68 degrees, no wind and no clouds. I'll be on the boat in an hour or two having an adult beverage and smoking a cigar!! :)

I have a Sig 290. Up here in Boston it would be on the hard all winter.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:47 PM, cyclops2 said:

I see a pattern developing. If you get one built correctly.  Happiness. Brand is not important.

+1.  I buy whatever is the cheapest and correct size for the application.  Avoid paying for a warranty.  Keep them charged properly.  If you avoid over charging water usage will be virtually nil.

2 hours ago, Dennis A said:

+1.  I buy whatever is the cheapest and correct size for the application.  Avoid paying for a warranty.  Keep them charged properly.  If you avoid over charging water usage will be virtually nil.

Like your thinking! Not personally a fan of Exide batteries. I really like Optima (not cheap) and Deka too. (aka East Penn).

I know Deka (East Penn) supplies batteries to Mercury (Quicksilver) and Yamaha among others. Up here in the Great White North, Exide supplies Crappy Tire, so I don't purchase batteries from them.

NOTE: for anyone with a boat that is stored for 30 days or more, I HIGHLY recommend removing the negative battery cables off the battery(s) to prevent parasitic discharge, especially on newer large boats.