wijeff

Marine battery what's your brand

32 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Shepherd1 said:

Like your thinking! Not personally a fan of Exide batteries. I really like Optima (not cheap) and Deka too. (aka East Penn).

I know Deka (East Penn) supplies batteries to Mercury (Quicksilver) and Yamaha among others. Up here in the Great White North, Exide supplies Crappy Tire, so I don't purchase batteries from them.

NOTE: for anyone with a boat that is stored for 30 days or more, I HIGHLY recommend removing the negative battery cables off the battery(s) to prevent parasitic discharge, especially on newer large boats.

The manufacturer of brand name batteries can be region specific.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Something to remember about buying any battery.  They CAN have hidden damage occur during any of the shipments.

Bought super cheap battery from big sporting chain 20 ??  years ago. post broken when I opened box.  Crack in top of 2nd unit.  Last time I bought a battery on the web.

See it. Check date on side. Check water level if above plates. Add more at house................ Done

I have replaced old and installed new batteries before the 2013 season. All the same type, deep cycle AGM made by ODYSSEY, model 31M-PC2150, and sold under Sears DieHard Marine Battery brand. They are rated 1150 CCA, they tested around 1350 when new. Now, after four seasons they still test 1300+ CCA house, and 1150+ CCA engine. I can't complain.

17 hours ago, Richard W said:

I have replaced old and installed new batteries before the 2013 season. All the same type, deep cycle AGM made by ODYSSEY, model 31M-PC2150, and sold under Sears DieHard Marine Battery brand. They are rated 1150 CCA, they tested around 1350 when new. Now, after four seasons they still test 1300+ CCA house, and 1150+ CCA engine. I can't complain.

Those batteries are rated at 1370 MCA (32 degF) and 1150 CCA (0 degF).  At what temp are you testing the CA at?  If you are testing at 70 degF then I would expect CA to be ~1847 on a new fully charged battery rated for 1150 CCA.  The devil is in the details and you have to be careful how you are testing.

Bingo Dennis .  They are out to con us. If we do not understand their test conditions.

All of my 13 ? engines start with 1 pull by hand cold. Or a 1/2 pull when warm. So my biggest reason for dying is NOT OVERCHARGING to remove the lead sulphate.

46 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

Those batteries are rated at 1370 MCA (32 degF) and 1150 CCA (0 degF).  At what temp are you testing the CA at?  If you are testing at 70 degF then I would expect CA to be ~1847 on a new fully charged battery rated for 1150 CCA.  The devil is in the details and you have to be careful how you are testing.

Good point ... I usually test in late October just before storage when the temperatures are in low 50s at best.

I use the professional Midtronics battery tester that has a temperature sensor and I believe it compensates for the ambient temperature difference.