murphydog

power ratins on Merc 5.7

I am shopping for an older (1998 to 2005) Chap 260 signature cruiser.  As i see different ads, I see the merc 5.7L that interests me, but with many different H.P. ratings.  Can someone please explain how the 5.7 L merc engine can have different H.P.?  I've been told i should get at least 300 H.P. But Ive seen 5.7s with as low as 250 H.P   Also I would entertain a big block, but I have yet to see one for sale.  Any thoughts?

I am by no means an expert, but the different HP ratings come from different internals and such. What cam is in the engine, fuel injected vs carburetor, etc... I would definitely look for something with 300 hp or more. I used to own an 82 Chris Craft cabin cruiser 25 feet with a 5.7 liter 260 hp Merc and an Alpha 1. Getting on plane with a full load of passengers and fuel required putting two of my buddies up front on the pulpit. I eventually put trim tabs on to help & after I burned off half my fuel is was fine, but more HP would have been nice!

Thanks for that input. I have come to the conclusion that the minimum I should get is the 5.7 mag with 300 hp. Or a big block if I can find one. Those seem to be few and far between 

Not sure why but the cruisers don't seem to come with much hp.  The cuddy's on the other hand have plenty.

I have the Chap 260 with the 5.7 EFI 260 HP.  I cruise around 30 MPH at about 3500 RPM.   No complaint from me.  Its fully loaded, with gen a/c and hot water.  We often have 6 adults on it. 

You will find 5.7L (2bbl) at 210HP, a 4bbl at 250 HP, EFI at 260 HP and the MAG/MPI at 300 HP. 

Same block, different internals and fuel management.

brick

Just to pipe in then....the 300hp version of the 5.7 liter MPI started with the model year 2002 engine. Keep in mind they put model year 2002 engines in 2001 boats at times and 2001 model year engines in 2002 boats at time so some got TBI and some got the higher HP MPI. Prior to that, the fuel injected version was 260hp for Mercruiser but was throttle body injection and bric covered the carbed version.  MPI small blocks offer much more than just more HP but are associated with newer than 1990's boats but oddly enough they made MPI big blocks for several years before 2002. 

More great information!  You guys have told exactly what i need to know. I had a surveyor yesterday tell me he likes the 300 hp magnum better than the big blocks. I'm sure the. 300 hp is the smallest I will go, but if I can find the right big block I might go with that. The big blocks seem to be harder to find 

thanks again!

One nice thing about the 5.7 and the 6.2 is for the 5.7 they stopped making carbed or EFI engines and didn't run the technologies concurrently as they did with the 5.0 (carb and MPI that is).  The 6.2 then was only ever an MPI engine.  

Smaller boats for years in the 2000's would have the carb option or the MPI option of the 4.3 and the 5.0 and for a brief period the 3.0.  

Most cruiser people...........TRUE CRUISER PEOPLE. Can be satisfied without getting onto a full plane. But they do WANT to be able to carry some furniture & LOADS of drinks, eats, ice, clothes, ..................PEOPLE...........BIG PEOPLE.  There are some old & new fully enclosed cruisers in our group. BUGS, mosquitos ? Rain.

INTO THE FULLY ENCLOSED CABIN WITH  A C  !!   :wub:  :wub:

A thought for us that LOVE a OFF plane cruiser with all the comforts of your living room on a boat.

Look up TRAWLERS. It is a fantastic cruiser. With unlimited  FOOD, DRINKS, TOILETS, SHOWER, A C.   Clothes storage,.........Cruising range ? At least 500 miles on 1/4 of a tank.