Brian_

280 Signature walk through windshield won't close

I have an issue that has me truly perplexed.  The boat is a 2003 280 Signature.  The problem is that the walk through windshield won't close at the top.  It closes fine at the bottom, but the top is off by 1/4".  There is no visible damage at any of the attachment points to the fiberglass or to any part of the windshield itself.  Any ideas?  Is there some way to adjust it that I am not seeing?

8 hours ago, TNBrett said:

Is it too tight at the top, or too loose?  A pic would be helpful.

Too tight.  I'll take a pic when I get back home this afternoon.

I had a 2003 280 and if I recall, there is a windshield brace on the helm side of the windshield walk-through that may be in need of adjustment.  Simple fix, push up on the windshield at that spot, adjust the brace.

Is this a new issue? Any work done on the boat prior to the issue?

brick

On 6/27/2017 at 6:44 AM, Jerry B. said:

I had a 2003 280 and if I recall, there is a windshield brace on the helm side of the windshield walk-through that may be in need of adjustment.  Simple fix, push up on the windshield at that spot, adjust the brace.

Hmmm...there is a brace there, but I don't recall it being adjustable.  Traveling for work now, but will check it out on Friday when I get home.

On 6/27/2017 at 7:15 AM, brick said:

Is this a new issue? Any work done on the boat prior to the issue?

brick

New issue with no work done prior.  Left on a Thursday and it closed fine.  The ride back home on Sunday was going to be chilly, so I went to close it before we left the dock and it wouldn't close.

Loosen up some screws for the brackets and hinge and window frame mounts til you get it "squared" again and then snug the screws back up to be sure it close properly.  Then tighten them back up.

2 hours ago, Brian_ said:

New issue with no work done prior.  Left on a Thursday and it closed fine.  The ride back home on Sunday was going to be chilly, so I went to close it before we left the dock and it wouldn't close.

Possibly a passenger or occupant push / pulled on it; put too much weight to it; fell against it, etc.

Can you tell if it is the center section or the port or starboard windshield that has changed?

brick

Ok, so after 6 weeks of work travel and a little vacation, I finally got around to messing with this again.  Neither the starboard or port side windshield segments appear to have moved.  I'm stumped on this one.  It'll take a few posts, but pics to follow.  This is the port side support.

boat1.jpg

Starboard side support

Dp6Orlk.jpg

Top of center windshield

Kf7LSkp.jpg

The bottom would close fine!

DgXnDDl.jpg

Windshield hinge

Ug1N5zv.jpg

Based on the last pic, it looks like the gap at the hinge has opened up.  Happened to me one year when I opened the door while ice was frozen in the hinge.  Bent it all up & I had to replace it.  Taylor-made was able to send me a new hinge.