clermontnoles

Boat Plug- Underwater LED light

40 posts in this topic

I saw these online and wondering if anyone has installed one on their boat.  Want underwater LEDs but not looking forward to drilling through my hull!!  There are a couple manufacturers out there and was wondering how bright they are and did they last very long? 

www.boatpluglight.com

I bought the Dagon OSS Solid Bronze transom light and installed for this season. So far so good. No leaks, very bright although I have a real big swim platform. So light just extends about a foot past it in semi clear water. For a regular bow rider or wake boat they would work great. I wouldn't hesitate. So far worth the investment for me. 

18 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I've been considering a Diablo.

+1.  Seems to get good reviews.

i have the  VEGA PRD 133 watts at 8000 lumens , that i bought from them last year.  it still works.   i paid 199.  its down to 185 now.   lights up the water pretty good, i am in very clear water.   i also bought the add on (remote, and controller that lets you change colors and do special effects)

FYI for anyone buying RGB lights including Diablo. Some of you probably are aware but for those who are not think about it before buying.

If you get a RGB light the leds are going to be split up 3 ways to accomodate each color. 

For example say light has 24 leds. 8 red, 8 green, 8 blue. 

Now if you get solid color only then all 24 leds will be blue = higher output . 

Keep in mind when purchasing. I went with solid blue so I would get all the output I could. White is actually the highest lumen too. 

I had the drain plug light not to impressed, outdrive blocks the light to much of the light. Got a set of led lights from Westmarine, they work better.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--aqua-bright-ii-high-intensity-blue-led-underwater-light-2-pack--14996219?recordNum=5

1dc499e4-52fc-492a-8ec4-1825f9b3b4fd_zps

if you want the drain light drop me a PM, i'll send it to you. If I can find it in the basement.

Probably a silly question, but once you run the wiring where do you connect and how are you powering the lights?

Spectrum is the light to go with if you want bright ! 3000 lumens along with a big bank withdraw 275 to 500 buckaroos

On 6/20/2017 at 7:14 PM, Toddler said:

I had the drain plug light not to impressed, outdrive blocks the light to much of the light. Got a set of led lights from Westmarine, they work better.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--aqua-bright-ii-high-intensity-blue-led-underwater-light-2-pack--14996219?recordNum=5

1dc499e4-52fc-492a-8ec4-1825f9b3b4fd_zps

if you want the drain light drop me a PM, i'll send it to you. If I can find it in the basement.

Ditto, me too, not impressed with plug light. Is your pic above of those LEDS from Westmarine? I assume they are.....if so, very nice for the price!

I have the drain plug light and lights on the sides of the boat.  The drain plug light is not as bright and if you have a single drive, like Toddler stated, it will be blocked by the drive.  

1 minute ago, Jjlai724 said:

I have the drain plug light and lights on the sides of the boat.  The drain plug light is not as bright and if you have a single drive, like Toddler stated, it will be blocked by the drive.  

What drain plug light do you have?  There are scads of them.

I have Ocean LED. The outer is a blue/green option while the drain plug is just blue. 

55934e3e-2d05-4b90-b124-c78465109ea8.jpg

FWIW, the Drain Plug LED I purchased and was NOT impressed was a "LED BOAT DRAIN PLUG LIGHT BTY 20 WATT 1000 LUMEN UNDERWATER LED LIGHT LED" by  diablo-royale-customs  for 60 deer.

They do have a new dual drain plug I am considering....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-LOKI-2-UNDERWATER-LED-BOAT-PLUG-DRAIN-LIGHT-50-WATT-2400-Lumens/252971005006?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

On 6/21/2017 at 10:09 AM, chickenmpc said:

Probably a silly question, but once you run the wiring where do you connect and how are you powering the lights?

There is a Yellow busbar at the back; run the ground to there. The Accs switch was powered, so all you have to do is connect to it.

14 hours ago, Toddler said:

There is a Yellow busbar at the back; run the ground to there. The Accs switch was powered, so all you have to do is connect to it.

Awesome...sounds too easy.  Thanks Toddler!

31 minutes ago, chickenmpc said:

Awesome...sounds too easy.  Thanks Toddler!

Hope you got a teenager......to run the wires:D