Jump to content
Cycleman07

Original Wiring on 284 with Wet sounds Upgrade

Recommended Posts

Alright, have a question that is a little tricky to word...I have a Sunesta 284 with the Wet Sounds Rev 8 Tower speakers and HTC-6 Amp.  It didn't seem like it was tuned very well from the dealership or factory which isn't totally unexpected.  I have spent the day trying to tweak it to sound better and here is my dilemma.  The Sub and cockpit speakers share the same output from the head unit and plug in to channels 1&2 and the tower speakers are on a separate output and are plugged in to channels 3&4.  I wanted to turn the tower speakers gain up which i was able to achieve by increasing the gain on channels 3&4 and running them on full pass and they sound great.  I also wanted to turn the gain up to the sub and of course run it on low pass, while running the cockpit speakers on high pass.  It appears that the output to the sub is from channels 5&6 on the amp.  I haven't tried yet but am I correct in my understanding that i can achieve what I want to achieve by adjusting channels 5&6 to more gain and low pass for the sub, and adjusting channels 1&2 to high pass for the cockpit speakers? 

 

I know that was a word salad and probably hard to follow, but any help would be appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure this is any help, but I have a similar setup on our 244 Xtreme and I just started turning dials until I got the sound that I wanted.  Not sure if it's correct, balanced, etc., but we're happy.

If your boat's on a trailer, any automotive sound shop can likely tune the sound.

What drives me crazy is that the left side drives our bow speakers, with the right driving the cabin speakers. What were they thinking?  And, it's too tight at the amp to easily correct this mixup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree.  They literally could have slid it over a foot and gave us more room to mess with it.  Something just seems missing from mine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cycleman07 said:

Alright, have a question that is a little tricky to word...I have a Sunesta 284 with the Wet Sounds Rev 8 Tower speakers and HTC-6 Amp.  It didn't seem like it was tuned very well from the dealership or factory which isn't totally unexpected.  I have spent the day trying to tweak it to sound better and here is my dilemma.  The Sub and cockpit speakers share the same output from the head unit and plug in to channels 1&2 and the tower speakers are on a separate output and are plugged in to channels 3&4.  I wanted to turn the tower speakers gain up which i was able to achieve by increasing the gain on channels 3&4 and running them on full pass and they sound great.  I also wanted to turn the gain up to the sub and of course run it on low pass, while running the cockpit speakers on high pass.  It appears that the output to the sub is from channels 5&6 on the amp.  I haven't tried yet but am I correct in my understanding that i can achieve what I want to achieve by adjusting channels 5&6 to more gain and low pass for the sub, and adjusting channels 1&2 to high pass for the cockpit speakers? 

 

I know that was a word salad and probably hard to follow, but any help would be appreciated.  

Sounds like you have all 3 zones, in-boats, woofer and tower speaker, all on one 6 chnl amp. Not ideal, but from a tuning aspect, we can deal with it, just need to confirm this. 

How many in-boat speakers, 4? Hoping none or all are left on head unit. This can be confirmed by pulling the RCA with the system off, and then powering up the system. Any speakers left playing are driven by head unit. 

Start with the easy stuff. ALL of the full range speaker need to be set to hi-pass, period. Sub-woofer, low-pass. 

With that 6 chnl amp, you basically have 3 zones of controls. 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6. Chnl 3/4 can get their signal head unit direct or pass-thru from 1/2. 5/6 can get the signal from 1/2 or direct. Need to see how many RCAs sets are plugged in and them look at the position of the mode switches to confirm. 

IMO, I like to link the sub to the in-boats or head unit direct, not to the tower zone. If all 3 sets of RCA inputs are occupied and the mode switches are in the correct spots, the amp is in 6 chnl mode.

For tuning, you need to treat the tower zone by itself. head unit EQ to flat, LOUD to off, HI-PASS (trust me) and an appropriate cross over Hz. All before touching the gain

For the in-boats, if the head unit has a dedicated sub RCA out, needs to be full range. in-boats on hi-pass. The in-boats hi-pass x-over and woofer low-pass x-over effect each other. I can tell you where I would set the tower speaker hi-pass x-over, but the in-boats and woofers' ex-over I cant without knowing more about the woofer setup and in-boats. Think of them as a 2-piece band. 

In closing, the gain is not a volume dial, so dont treat it as such.

PS, I would consider a 2nd amp. Need to split the load up. Doing so would improve the dynamic range of all the speakers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cycleman07 said:

I agree.  They literally could have slid it over a foot and gave us more room to mess with it.  Something just seems missing from mine.  

Sounds like you have an HT6 amp with the controls on the end under a black rubber cover. They dont offer an HTC, but they do offer an HTX but the controls are on the front panel under a cover. Easy to access. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cycleman07 said:

Correct HT6.  Still need to figure out if we can control the sub on channels 5&6

What do mean by control it? Yes, chnls 5/6 can drive a 4 ohm woofer and they can get their signal direct or pass through. The HT series did not offer a sub level knob if thats what you mean, However, there are ways to do sub level volume control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew my explanation wouldn't be clear. I have 2 sets of RCA cables that plug into the amp.  Channels 1&2 inputs run the cockpit speakers when I unplug it the sub goes off as well.  Channel 3&4 feed the tower speakers.  When I change 1&2 to high pass the sub goes into high pass as well.  On the amp output side it appears channels 5&6 power the sub.  I read in the manual that if you turn off 5&6 inputs then 5&6 can get the signal from input 1&2.  I was just wanting some clarity before I run back out to the lake to mess with it more as my boat is slipped.  Again this is confusing me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Cycleman07 said:

+I knew my explanation wouldn't be clear. I have 2 sets of RCA cables that plug into the amp.  Channels 1&2 inputs run the cockpit speakers when I unplug it the sub goes off as well.  Channel 3&4 feed the tower speakers.  When I change 1&2 to high pass the sub goes into high pass as well.  On the amp output side it appears channels 5&6 power the sub.  I read in the manual that if you turn off 5&6 inputs then 5&6 can get the signal from input 1&2.  I was just wanting some clarity before I run back out to the lake to mess with it more as my boat is slipped.  Again this is confusing me 

The output cross-over filters for 1/2 cannot in any way, effect 3/4 or 5/6. The input signal pass through is separate from any cross-over processing. 

 

You want "INPUT" set to out 4 chnl and "INPUT CHNL 5/6" set in to OFF. 3/4 get their signal direct and 5/6 get pass through from 1/2. However, the 1/2 cross-over and gain setting will not impact 5/6. The signal is passed through clean. If in doubt, Y the signal into 5/6 and change the input. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent.  So if I determine that my sub is run off 5/6 which I believe it is, then I turn the 5/6 to off, set it on low pass, and run 1/2 on high pass for my cockpit speakers (I.e. 6 1/2's).  Am I reading this right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×