Sign in to follow this  
Slapshot

LED Project

I'm starting a new project since I completed my bellows, shift cable, and hose replacement project.  I want to upgrade or install the following:

Bow Navigation Light (LED bulb upgrade)

Cuddy Cabin Lights (LED bulb upgrade)

Install 3 Courtesy Lights (1 at the Stern entrance/exit, 1 behind captain's chair and 1 behind passenger chair near the floor)

Here is a picture of the original bulbs from the Cuddy Cabin Lights (left), and the Bow Navigation Light (right):

y4mci4bNMjDsrT6KpdudKgU9u7MdDZIguLlqQyyj

Does anyone know the LED replacement for either of these?  The one on the right has a part# 2641L, and my local part store had the following LED which looked compatible:

y4mZiazTWb1C1V7bgg48Tyudk6SSnmPyJwn4lLjQ

I couldn't find anything that resembled the Cuddy Cabin Lights. At least nothing that had the 2 extended prongs.  So I may just end up replacing the entire fixtures. Any recommendations?

Now on to the Courtesy Lights; I would like to add courtesy lights at the stern exit/entrance where the remote radio controls reside.  The radio controls no longer function because the previous owner upgraded the original stereo from the included JBL stereo which utilized this stern remote system.  Here is a pic of the area that I am working with:

y4mmM0iYxfpSw4Sp2ELMPDr8nVhVosRJNaXHNbjh

I thought about purchasing an LED light that covered the entire area, which is about 4" long, but I've since cleaned the area up.  I could fill in the existing holes with some filler and maybe buff the gelcoat.  Either way does anyone have a suggestion for an LED light that could fit this area.  Whatever light I end up putting here I will also put the same light behind each chair (captain and passenger), near the floor to light the pathway up on deck.  My helm has a wiper switch, but my boat did not come with a windshield wiper so I thought I might use that switch to control these courtesy lights?

Thank you

Jake

Personally, things like the bow light. I would buy a sealed unit. This will eliminate the lamp socket from rusting out.

As to a light to cover that area.......... There are so many out their, I would Google it.

And or try    http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|65136|2312540&id=2312543     http://www.imtra.com/lighting-light-fixtures-courtesy.htm

I should mention I am working on a limited budget which is why I wanted to just replace bulbs.  However, I was looking at the following for the courtesy lights:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N48WRM4?psc=1

That light is has a 3" diameter, and wouldn't quite cover the original 4" remote area.  I do like some of those defender lights.

Regarding regulated nav lights ... just don't buy generic LED bulb as the replacement for incandescent bulb. More info in this post:

On 6/20/2017 at 10:04 PM, Richard W said:

Regarding regulated nav lights ... just don't buy generic LED bulb as the replacement for incandescent bulb. More info in this post:

Yep, good point.

I've had great luck with lights from www.marinebeam.com.  They are a little more expensive, but built for marine-specific use.  I really like the lights that have 2 colors, e.g., red/white, so when you first turn on the switch it is red, toggle it again, and it's warm white.

They have pics of every light bulb, so easy to find the match.  They also sell sealed units, though I haven't tried those yet.

5 hours ago, 270owner said:

I've had great luck with lights from www.marinebeam.com.  They are a little more expensive, but built for marine-specific use.  I really like the lights that have 2 colors, e.g., red/white, so when you first turn on the switch it is red, toggle it again, and it's warm white.

They have pics of every light bulb, so easy to find the match.  They also sell sealed units, though I haven't tried those yet.

Perfect. Thank you for the suggestions. I will let you know what I end up going with.