Ingalp01

WOT range for 1999 5.7 injected

Hey guys, I've been doing some research and since based on things I've read here, the MPI wasn't available in my 1999 2330 SS, I'm assuming I have some other 260-300 HP injected 5.7. And best guess is my WOT range is somewhere between 4400-5000 (4800 on non MPI & 5000 on MPI of that era)

I was told it was a 5.7L EFI w/ 300 HP (See original ad quote below" 

Ive been all over the Mercruiser site and the only non-MPI engine in my year range I see with a 300 HP rating is called a "Horizon" Can anyone help me out with this? I'm hoping I haven't purchased a 260 HP boat, although that would probably be sufficient for my needs.

"1999 Chaparral 2330 Sport Bowrider 

Roomy 24' bowrider with a 5.7L EFI Mercruiser 300hp Bravo III outdrive, duo SS props. A Classic Big Bowrider with 8'6" beam that gives a lot of space for you, your family and friends to spend a fun day on the water. Depth finder, built in cooler with drains, rear sundeck /sun pad, stereo c/d, trim tabs and anchor locker. This boat looks and runs great so all you need to do is just turn the key and enjoy. She comes with a bimini top for a shade, Tandem trailer. Priced to sell $12,900."

PS... I didn't pay $12,900 for the boat & it doesn't have trim tabs either... It does have fresh water wash down and is in impeccable shape... Came with lots of extras, mooring covers, trailer locks, first aid, flare gun kit, life jackets, anchors, etc... I wish I had snapped a picture of the engine, I swear it says 300 HP on the cover... ???

Im not sure what mine will do, but after my prop question yesterday I had a lot of guys chime in about whether my prop gets me to where I want to be RPM wise at WOT. Hence my research on engines and B3's and looking for RPM range... Tomorrow if the weather cooperates I'll get her in the water and see how she works out! I've also inquired to Mercury Marine's tech department, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I guess my other big question was (Did Mercruiser offer a 300 HP injected 5.7L in 1999 that wasn't an MPI) which I only find in that year range in an 8.1... I know I'm full of questions, but I hate not knowing what I'm dealing with...

Go to the Mercury/Mercruiser website. Submit your serial number. Ask what the HP rating and WOT RPM range are. 

Probably 4400 to 4800. If the motor is a "MAG" it is 300 HP  

brick

Thanks Brick!  I have submitted all of that information to the Mercury website, but just haven't gotten a return answer. I'm driving home now, lovely Atlanta traffic! I'll look at the engine when I get home and snap a picture of it as well

I have a '95 mag that is rated at 260 hp with 4bbl carb.  My wot is 44-4500 rpm, with 26 deg bravo3 three blade setup. 

Thanks! I think mine is 5.7L injected 300 MAG... I'm going to try and get her in the water for a test run this afternoon...

If it is the 5.7 EFI, I think they were rated at 280 HP. Probably 4800 RPMs.  Where's Shep, he will know....

I'm pretty sure mine is the 280 Horse... I did get it out on the lake today, cruised down to Aqualand Marina to eat at Pig Tales. Everything was great until just before we docked and an alarm went off like we had low oil pressure or an overheating issue, but gauges all looked good, I made it to the dock and shut her down. Checked the oil, full. I did notice some oil in the bilge mixed with a little water, but I think that's old oil where the mechanic must have drained into the bilge. Let it sit for a few and fired her back up, no alarm for about 30 seconds then alarm came back on. Seems fine when I felt the risers and such, not too hot etc... Other than this, she ran great, turned well, trim gauge doesn't work, but trim works fine... wondering if it was an issue at idle, no alarms while cruising...

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

First thing that comes to mind and that is easy to check is the drive oil reservoir in front of the engine. There is a float sensor in it that will alarm when it is low. 

That's indeed what it was! The mechanic that did my service this past week brought me some gear lube and I filled her up and made the trek back to Gainesville Marina. Got her home ok, but the drive lube reservoir is low/empty again and I think it must be leaking into the bilge somehow... I'll get it squared away this week, but all in all not too bad of a maiden voyage... Gotta give props to the mechanic for leaving his BBQ on a Saturday to bring me drive oil and he wouldn't accept ANY money. I tried to throw cash at him and his response was "#$^% no!" Steve Short from Boats Plus in Buford, GA...

About ~4500 rpm give or take. You probably have a 260 hp (at prop) EFI motor. I had a B3/250hp 5.7l (2 bbl) on a 2335 and it was PLENTY of power!

My 1995 2335 5.7 has 4200-4600 it is identified right above the flame arrestor (see picture) My manual say's 4400-4600 rpm. The original engine was changed to a 260 hp but I would say they must be about the same. 

IMG_0812.jpg

I'm still waiting on the exact HP numbers from Mercury Marine. One of their techs got back to me and I sent him a picture of the engine serial number and such, and he said he'd let me know exactly what I had in my Chap... In today's test though, if my speedo is accurate I saw 4700 at WOT doing about 48-50 mph... B3 w/ 3 bald set up... And everyone was correct, there's a lot of bumping in and out of gear while docking and loading with the B3z Great bite!

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

My 1995 2335 5.7 has 4200-4600 it is identified right above the flame arrestor (see picture) My manual say's 4400-4600 rpm. The original engine was changed to a 260 hp but I would say they must be about the same. 

IMG_0812.jpg

Allen, I'll have to look for that on mine. I sent the Mercruiser tech the following pic and they said they'd let me know...

http://2AAE1B70-BFC7-4D54-A22B-97F2FF12E59A.jpg

Ingalp01, A little to high for my liking.. I have a 1995 2335 5.7.  I get goose bumps at 4500 rpm. I am getting 45 mph with GPS and aluminum prop. 14.5 x 17. I don't keep it there for more than 30 seconds. I can cruise at 30 mph at about 3000 rpm.  It is a good number because the secondaries do not kick in and you can save some gas.  Don't quote me but I would say 6 gallons a hour.  I believe the boat weighs in at 4650 lbs empty. 

Beat me to it, Allen. Ingal, you test numbers seem to be right for that engine and boat size. I'm betting it's the 260 HP EFI. Also, your speedo is not accurate, none of them are. You were probably around 45 on a GPS at best.

My GPS displays in Knots, so I'll have to take closer note of all the numbers next time out. This time I was like a nervous NEW parent listening for strange sounds coming from their baby! All in all things went well. The drive shifted smooth, the engine ran great and other than the mysterious disappearing drive oil, there weren't any major issues. Already dropped the boat at the shop so they can work on it while I'm away! I have to leave for London tomorrow! Hopefully they will have tracked down the drive lube issue and I'll have a functioning trim gauge next weekend... 

Ingalp01,  Drive oil should never drop with the exception if you just changed the drive oil and the oil has not  found it's level from the drive to the reservoir. Another possibility is reservoir leakage (if your lucky) otherwise, it may be down under the waterline not a good thing. 

The first thing I alway do when I get the boat in the driveway is to pull the drive drain plug to check for white milky oil. 

I am running a Alpha one Gen 2 outdrive that is 22 years old and preparing for the worse. I consider myself very lucky. I been looking to see what the solution will be when it finally goes. The boat has been well maintained, but for it's age it maybe more economical to use a cheap "knock-off drive" or one that have been rebuilt by professional. 

Good luck

It had just been changed and the mechanic that came out thought the same thing, (drive oil seeking level)...

How much might have to be added on a Bravo 3 after changing? I added a 1/2 qt. then cruised another 9.7 miles and the reservoir was almost empty again... 

Regardless, it's at the shop and hopefully they'll get it squared away while I'm in London this week...

My guess is the prop shaft seal is leaking. Time for a pressure test. 

brick

Brick,

It's at Gainesville Marina and I'll have them go through it all this week.

Thanks to my Navionics Boating app, it maintained my track from our two runs. My max speed was 39 knots or approximately 45 mph!

I'm happy with that part at least!