John Schneider

Bimini Wobble

Whenever I have the bimini top rolled up, I get some pretty bad side-to-side wobbling when running in rough water, or even crossing wakes.  Looking for some ideas on how to eliminate, or at least minimize this. 

The only thing I can think of is running a strap from the top left side of the bimini to the right side of the boat, and one from the top right side to the left side.  Seems like that would be a hassle having that big "X" that we would have to duck under when going fore to aft.

ChapTop.jpg

Notice the two stainless steel support poles on the back side of the bimini.  Although they do have quick-connect fittings, that's too much of a pain in the butt to have to disconnect them each time.

What's that bimini setup on your Chap?  Looks like the back poles have a bow in them.  Do you get the wobble in rough water?  How are they anchored?

They do wobble. To be honest, on your pic, your bimini seems to be mounted too far forward on the windshield making your support poles very long. I think shorter rear support poles will give you less wobble. 

Actually, they are the perfect length for where I mounted the top.  I wanted it more forward to give me more shade on those 95+ degree summer days.  IMO, yours is too far aft.  :D

IMG_0913.JPG

Depends on where you're sitting and the angle to the sun.  Neither is wrong.  John Schneider, yours looks aftermarket; really tall. 

Tom's point was that the length of the supports may add to instability, regardless of your desire for position.

Longer & taller will wiggle more.  A given. So does higher speeds in rougher water. A STIFFER   U  arch tube is the only way to reduce the side to side flexing.

Maybe moving the support pole bottom mounts closer to the back of the sides of the windshield. The only problem is that you already have mounts farther back and would have to either leave them there or remove them and fill  the holes. Best bet is to watch it wobble.  :rolleyes:

It does really bother some people (RoyW). Never did bother me that much. My tower contains it now.

Are the mounts through bolted? Mine weren't on my first boat and it wobbled like crazy. On the 2335 I through bolted them and it was much better. Something to consider. You could also trim your support poles and move the mounts forward. I would...

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

The wobble never bothered me that much until a week ago.  I was doing some general maintenance stuff on the boat, including checking all screws/bolts for tightness.  I found one of the through-bolted screws for the base of the top on the port side, the head had sheared off.  The other screw on that base was fine and still tight.  Replaced the broken one and started thinking about trying to stop the wobble.

This is indeed an aftermarket top I added just a few years ago.  Working with the guys at Boat Covers Direct, we designed the top just the way I wanted it.  It had to be high enough where I could walk around when it was up without ducking (I'm 6' 1" tall).  Also wanted to mount it far enough forward where I'd have full coverage in the two console seats during peak times of sun.  Once I got the top and mounted it, I then custom ordered the rear support poles.  Probably could have made them a bit shorter so that the rear mounts were a couple feet forward of where they are now, but still don't think what would have made any difference in the wobble.

5 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

I have cross pieces to prevent the wobble.

Sweet setup.  I'm assuming that is custom aftermarket?

If possible, could you please post a closeup of where those two poles meet on the top?  Can't quite figure out how you did that.

I had the same problem on my other boat. I added a cross brace using another support from the center top rib to the same pole. Also had a local canvas shop add another zipper the Bimini boot and cut a hole in the top sleeve of the bimini.

e10d357f-5dbf-465d-ad39-4c1fa60d4ff1_zps

We had the same problem on our 216.  I was surprised how loud it was.  Drove my wife nuts.  We have the tower now and love it.  The stability of the bimini is a bonus

if the noise is main problem, I found that using nylon washers on all the bimini joints made it quieter.  I just purchased the washers at Home Depot.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:43 PM, Toddler said:

I had the same problem on my other boat. I added a cross brace using another support from the center top rib to the same pole. Also had a local canvas shop add another zipper the Bimini boot and cut a hole in the top sleeve of the bimini.

e10d357f-5dbf-465d-ad39-4c1fa60d4ff1_zps

Perfect.  That looks like exactly what I need.  Think I'm going to do that on both sides.  Problem solved, and it actually looks good!

Thanks for posting the pic!

13 hours ago, 270owner said:

if the noise is main problem, I found that using nylon washers on all the bimini joints made it quieter.  I just purchased the washers at Home Depot.

Not sure what you guys mean by "noise".  My big concern has always been the stress on the mounts, which was confirmed recently by one of the screw heads breaking as I mentioned above.

4 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

Here re is a pic of where the two pieces are joined to the center of the Bimini top  

IMG_4741.jpg

Got it.  Thanks for posting.  That's actually pretty clever!

I don't have a pic of mine, but mine just has one support pole and two small arches that come off the center arch to spread the canvas. The support is provided by nylon straps front and rear corners. I have them pretty tight and mine is stable at speed and in rough water... Mine is definitely an aftermarket one as well and came with the boat, looks almost the same as OP's...

Just glue one of those dashboard hula girls on top of it.....:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Just glue one of those dashboard hula girls on top of it.....:rolleyes:

Creative solutions brought to you by tomnjo! :lol::D