John Schneider

Bimini Wobble

On 6/24/2017 at 4:17 PM, John Schneider said:

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

The wobble never bothered me that much until a week ago.  I was doing some general maintenance stuff on the boat, including checking all screws/bolts for tightness.  I found one of the through-bolted screws for the base of the top on the port side, the head had sheared off.  The other screw on that base was fine and still tight.  Replaced the broken one and started thinking about trying to stop the wobble.

This is indeed an aftermarket top I added just a few years ago.  Working with the guys at Boat Covers Direct, we designed the top just the way I wanted it.  It had to be high enough where I could walk around when it was up without ducking (I'm 6' 1" tall).  Also wanted to mount it far enough forward where I'd have full coverage in the two console seats during peak times of sun.  Once I got the top and mounted it, I then custom ordered the rear support poles.  Probably could have made them a bit shorter so that the rear mounts were a couple feet forward of where they are now, but still don't think what would have made any difference in the wobble.

Hey John, We have the same boat essentially. Your front mounts, are they mounted on the top of the gunnel? or Are they mounted on the side with a swivel bracket? I am about to put holes in the boat and love your opinion.

Thanks,

Bill

I started crossing my front straps several years ago.  Took care of the problem and hasn’t really been a problem to duck under them.

On 7/11/2018 at 4:36 PM, whciii said:

Hey John, We have the same boat essentially. Your front mounts, are they mounted on the top of the gunnel? or Are they mounted on the side with a swivel bracket? I am about to put holes in the boat and love your opinion.

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill - Its mounted on the gunwale:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/johnmsch/Boat/IMG_3253.jpg

On 7/11/2018 at 6:53 PM, Rick480 said:

I started crossing my front straps several years ago.  Took care of the problem and hasn’t really been a problem to duck under them.

Hey Rick - When fully deployed, I don't have an issue with the wobble.  I keep the front straps pretty tight.  The wobble only happens when its rolled up as seen in the first picture in this thread..

23 hours ago, John Schneider said:

That's just the kind of setup I've been pondering.  Did you bend that pole yourself or have it done by a metal shop?

AFAIK, it's stock.  I'm the 2nd owner, but I'm pretty sure it came from the factory that way.

my OEM bimini wobbles a small amount, but makes a lot of noise!  so, for me the solution was nylon washers -- quiet as a mouse now!

Don't have the issue on the water with mine, but do when trailering.  I have found that when I wrap with two bungies, taking up the slack in the folded cover, I don't get the wobble.  

Mine wobbled and made noise on my 2012 216 ssi, but i bought some nylon washers to eliminate the gaps which cause rattling.  A side effect was it removed most of the wobble.   

I also had two mounts that I had to secure better under the gunwhale.