Sign in to follow this  
gators5

Second Bad Voltage Sensitive Relay Module?

I think my VSR on my factory battery switch has gone bad for the second time in 3 years. Gonna order a new one and install.

The power to my boat doesn't turn completely off, only partial when switch is in off position, for example everything still has power but not enough to turn motor over. I replaced the original VSR with a new one about 3 years ago when I experienced this first and it resolved my problem. Now it has come back.

Anyone have ideas or similar issues in what the root cause could be?

What style if switch is in use with the VSR? Is there an on-board charger thats activating the VSR when the boat is slipped? The only way for DC devices to have power when the switch is off, unless they are wired direct to the battery(s), thus circumventing the switch. Even then, Im not sure how that would effect the VSR unless its combined and passing current all the time. This would certainly shorten its life. 

3 hours ago, 330Signature said:

check the wiring of your battery switches

I have checked and it appears to be correct per diagrams.

2 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

What style if switch is in use with the VSR? Is there an on-board charger thats activating the VSR when the boat is slipped? The only way for DC devices to have power when the switch is off, unless they are wired direct to the battery(s), thus circumventing the switch. Even then, Im not sure how that would effect the VSR unless its combined and passing current all the time. This would certainly shorten its life. 

The battery switch is the stock OEM, Iooks like a 2 battery Blue Sea with 1, 1+2, off and 2 as selections.  I do have a 2 bank smart battery charger connected when boat is not in use, connected directly to batteries, not the switch/VSR.  I charge it with the battery switch in off position. Could it be activating the VSR the whole time it is charging?

23 minutes ago, gators5 said:

The battery switch is the stock OEM, Iooks like a 2 battery Blue Sea with 1, 1+2, off and 2 as selections.  I do have a 2 bank smart battery charger connected when boat is not in use, connected directly to batteries, not the switch/VSR.  I charge it with the battery switch in off position. Could it be activating the VSR the whole time it is charging?

The charger may be connected directly to the battery post physically, but I bet that the VSR is connected to the #1 & #2 posts of the switch. This makes them electrically wired together. So yes, when the charger is on, its voltage will activate the VSR. Now, this might not be a lot of current, but its on/combined for a significant amount of time. This can shorten its life. This is one reason I dont like an ACR/VSR paired with a traditional switch.  

Thanks WWT, your explanation makes sense as to shortening the life of the VSR. I will change the frequency of using the charger to not using it in boating season since we are on the boat almost every week and keeping the charger hooked up while not in use 100% of the time was most likely overkill.