Mike316

New 226

26 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the advice last week on the new 226 purchase. We decided on the 2015 with the Volvo V8 over the 2016 with the V6. Overall $1200 cheaper and they threw in a spare prop and spare tire for the trailer. Took the boat out yesterday for the first time. The family loves it. Big upgrade over our Monterey.

One more question for you guys. Our drain plug is stuck. Tried the PB blaster for 2 days and still couldn't get it to budge. Is it expensive to change out that plate with the 3 screws that holds in the plug and should I let the dealership do that or is it something easy that I could do?

2015 226 SSI.JPG

2 minutes ago, ColdOne said:

I would take it back to the dealer and have them take care of it.

ehh used boat, dealer is only required to do so much. 

To be honest I replaced the whole unit once was less than 20 bucks and took 10 mins.  Buy the part, unscrew the old one get some 5200 sealent put it around the flange and some on the screws and screw back into place.  probably more time and cost effective to just get it done.

Yep, brand new to you boat, go to the dealer, unless it's cross-threaded (user error) I'd take it back to them... Parts would run you $10-$35 bucks, but access to the inside portion of that bung underneath and behind your engine is the issue... 

2 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

ehh used boat, dealer is only required to do so much. 

To be honest I replaced the whole unit once was less than 20 bucks and took 10 mins.  Buy the part, unscrew the old one get some 5200 sealent put it around the flange and some on the screws and screw back into place.  probably more time and cost effective to just get it done.

Is there no inner portion on the drain plug bung? My previous comments may be incorrect...

You may find a grounding strap attached to the inside. Two of the three mounting screws are screws, the third is a bolt with nut on the inside where the grounding strap attaches. That bolt will be your challenge. 

Take it back to the dealer. ( but probably after  July 4th )

brick

See if dealer can do it as a warranty. Old boat sold as new = a warranty.

2 hours ago, Mike316 said:

Thanks for all the advice last week on the new 226 purchase. We decided on the 2015 with the Volvo V8 over the 2016 with the V6. Overall $1200 cheaper and they threw in a spare prop and spare tire for the trailer. Took the boat out yesterday for the first time. The family loves it. Big upgrade over our Monterey.

One more question for you guys. Our drain plug is stuck. Tried the PB blaster for 2 days and still couldn't get it to budge. Is it expensive to change out that plate with the 3 screws that holds in the plug and should I let the dealership do that or is it something easy that I could do?

2015 226 SSI.JPG

Nice ride Mike

definitely take it to the dealer for warranty work, there should be a grounding strap inside and you will want to make sure you (they) seal it backup real good

1 hour ago, Ingalp01 said:

Is there no inner portion on the drain plug bung? My previous comments met be incorrect...

the one I did once had no grounding strap,  believe the part was like 15 bucks and literally a 5min job.  But if there is more to it and a boat being under warranty then maybe take it in

Sounds like a cross thread situation.  If you are like me, my free time is everything and taking the boat out of the water and dragging it to a dealer to wait in line to get your simple thing fixed can be a problem.  I might be inclined to diy and toss in an LED plug while you are at it.  That is assuming that the third 'screw/bolt' can even be reached to do it.  That's a nice boat.....55mph on tests.  

2 hours ago, ColdOne said:

I would take it back to the dealer and have them take care of it.

Called the dealer I bought it from. He is not a Chaparral dealer but he offered to repair it. He is 90 minutes away so he said he would just send me one and I'll do it.

26 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Sounds like a cross thread situation.  If you are like me, my free time is everything and taking the boat out of the water and dragging it to a dealer to wait in line to get your simple thing fixed can be a problem.  I might be inclined to diy and toss in an LED plug while you are at it.  That is assuming that the third 'screw/bolt' can even be reached to do it.  That's a nice boat.....55mph on tests.  

Thanks Rider. My wife really loves this boat. She's the one that takes it off and puts it back on the trailer and she says it handles so much better than our Monterey. Also, closest boat dealer to me is 2 weeks behind on service so I really can't wait for that.

1 minute ago, Mike316 said:

Thanks Rider. My wife really loves this boat. She's the one that takes it off and puts it back on the trailer and she says it handles so much better than our Monterey. Also, closest boat dealer to me is 2 weeks behind on service so I really can't wait for that.

I hear you but wow...my wife won't even attempt to pull on or off the boat lift....the trailer is light years away.  Dealer service on this stuff can be backlogged pretty far.  When I replaced my previous Chap with my current larger but older chap, I needed a few things done to it and there was a five month wait at my in-town marina which meant summer would've been over.  I ended up bringing it way out of town to get it in, in sane amount of time.  

6 minutes ago, Mike316 said:

We do the same. I back up the trailer, wife drives boat on/off.  We have it down to an art  

brick

2 minutes ago, brick said:

We do the same. I back up the trailer, wife drives boat on/off.  We have it down to an art  

brick

We tried that once at the wife's insistence and she hit a trailer in the parking lot which cost me $.  

16 minutes ago, brick said:

brick

We are the opposite, I back the trailer down to just before the water, wife backs me in and I drive the boat off the trailer. Wife parks the truck and meets me at the dock! So far, so good...

Nice boat.  You'll be really happy with that set up.  

For launch I'll back the trailer and boat up and line it up then hop in.  She backs the last 20 feet into the water and I'll dirve it off.  

For retrieving, I need to dock the boat and get the trailer then we load it on with the dock lines.  

Enjoy the summer with the new boat.

Congrats on new ride.  We had that same setup, expect you will be well pleased with her performance in most regards.  Enjoy your summer.

2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

We tried that once at the wife's insistence and she hit a trailer in the parking lot which cost me $.  

If my wife hit someone's trailer  in the parking lot while putting our boat on our trailer - that would be a trick...

brick

3 hours ago, brick said:

brick

3 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

That's impressive.  She must have built up some serious speed to make it into the parking lot.  Had to be one he!l of a repair bill.  

7 minutes ago, LambChop said:

That's impressive.  She must have built up some serious speed to make it into the parking lot.  Had to be one he!l of a repair bill.  

My wife did hit the bowstop once. Came in a little hot, and the trailer was in a little deep. Required a visit to the gelcoat guy.,.

brick

51 minutes ago, LambChop said:

She was bringing the trailer to the parking lot as I stood and tended to the boat after it got launched when we had guests with us for the day.  This was back several years ago with a smaller boat and trailer.  I wouldn't put a parking lot hit with the boat past her however....she once roller her car on the highway several times and managed to walk away unschathed once they got her out.