8 posts in this topic

can anyone help me with traceing down the source of fuel smell coming in to the cuddy cabin of my 2003 215 ss. I have looked everywhere. if the cabin is closed overnight you smell gas, but leave the doors open and you can't smell it ?????

Gasoline leaks into the bilge and you can smell it in all enclosed spaces on the boat.

Try to find the source of that leak ASAP, it's not safe to leave it unattended.

Did you recently fill up?  If I overfill mine, even just a little, it will drop to the rubrail, then I smell it in my cabin.  

Do you know anybody that has a portable gas detector that could help you find the source? I just borrowed one from somebody looking for a leak in my RV and found out it was my dog's breath stink'n everything up

I'm curious about the original poster's issue. I have a 215 SSi; however, I only have gasoline fumes when I have both covers on the boat at the same time (cockpit and mooring).

I don't have any fuel leaking in the bilge, and I would assume the OP would see some trace of fuel in bilge or around the motor area.

If you can smell it it can blow up. Look in the engine compartment, fill, feed and vent hose. Remove the tank cover and look inside

If aft cabin, remove the carpet and locate the fuel tank sending unit, pop the access port and look/small and test the tank compartment

Do you have a plastic tank? They are known to allow the smell of gas but not leak.  Still should have it checked out to be sure.