Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SST

Is this too ludicrous to be true?

16 posts in this topic

The day after I returned from my vacation, I went down to the repair shop [on a Sunday] to look over my boat. I didn't really expect it to be finished. Just wanted to check it out.

When I walked around the corner of the building, I see my boat. But I immediately notice that the boat cover is barely snapped. I then notice that there is tons of water collecting on the cover [like a bowl of water] ready to dump into the boat. I climb onto the swim platform and manage to get the water off.  I then hop in the boat and look around. Kind of a mess but not anything to get excited about. But then I notice a beer cap on the floor. Lake Brewing Co. I'm thinking, why is that in my boat. For one, I don't drink and two, I don't usually allow alcohol on the boat. There is no reason for this being onboard.

I then notice that my air vent covers are missing. Without them water enters the engine compartment through the vents on the side of the boat. Not happy.

I go down on Monday to discuss my boat. I bring up the items above, the mechanic simply says. I dunno. I spoke with the receptionist and she didn't know anything either. No surprise. She said she'd look at the security footage. Never heard a thing about it.

I gave them my cell phone number to text me periodically or at least when it was finished. Never heard from them. The only time they text me is the day after I took the boat home. To give me the bill.

I towed the boat home and the BANG from towing was much worse than usual. I checked the reservoir and it was empty. I filled it. Its still full. No where is there any evidence of a leak. No oily dirt. I took a screw driver to move the coupler to see what would happen. I got it to move but it would not move back into position. Only partially did it return. I fear the boat will become unhinged if I try and launch the boat. Nearest appointment with a trailer shop is this coming Thursday. Kiss the 4th good bye!

Today, I'm sealing up my sending unit and my knee hits something. Its has something to do with fishing tackle with a thin fishing line attached. There is no reason for tackle to be on my boat. I don't fish. Even though I do have fishing gear onboard, its up in the cuddy. I haven't used it since I've acquired the boat. I keep it in remembrance of my brother who owned the boat before me. You'd have to tip the boat straight up and shake it to get this one little piece of tackle out of the cuddy onto the deck floor. 

I think they partied on my boat while I was out of town.

Is this too ludicrous to be true? Has anybody experienced this before?  What do I do about it if anything.  

Hope you all have a good 4th. I'm dry docked.

Sounds like it was an awesome party.  Perhaps they will invite you to the next one if you bring the beer and pay for the gas.

Cyclops and I took her out, ran good but that overheat alarm kept going off. And next time leave more than half a tank in her please. If you smell something rotten in a few weeks it wasn't me.

Not sure about the boating world, but happens in auto repair.  Our truck was in the shop getting some work done to pass inspection.  One of my mom's friends called and asked who was driving our truck.  Turns out the mechanic needed a truck to move a friend and was using ours.  Owner of shop denied everything of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were using your boat. What's the hour meter say??

When I was in my 20's my neighbor in my apartment complex was a mechanic at a nice import shop. At least half of the time when he came home from work he was "test driving" a customers car. On more than one occasion he would test drive those cars to the bar at night!

Seems there are plenty of dirt bags to go around. Had a garage use my car as the DUTY PARTS truck. They forgot that they wrote on the order form my odometer mileage it cost them $ 500 or a D A chat session in court.

I have to admit, Long long ago when I use to valet park cars, I took a couple out for a spin. One Corvette and one Datsun 280z. This is why I don't allow my car to be parked by anyone but me. BUT, I always tip the guy anyways. This is like insurance. Hopefully, he'll leave my car alone.

I guess I'm getting a little payback from 35 years ago.

Spent yesterday afternoon wet sanding and buffing the starboard side to remove the stains that they caused. GRRRR.

I write down usage every time I go out. There were 18 minutes of time used. I thought that wasn't a big deal. But their location does call into question of "maybe." The shop is in the heart of Buffalos water front so it would only take 5 minutes to get out into the water and "toss the anchor."  So, 5 minutes out, 5 minutes back in which leaves 8 minutes to run the engine and see what the problem is. Not able to tell if they launched it or muffed it.

I don't mind if they put the boat in the water to check out the problem. But if they are partying on my boat with beer on board, that's irresponsible.

Oh well, I launch tomorrow on the way to the trailer shop.

On 7/1/2017 at 8:51 PM, Mi3sons said:

Cyclops and I took her out, ran good but that overheat alarm kept going off. And next time leave more than half a tank in her please. If you smell something rotten in a few weeks it wasn't me.

:D

Any time I leave my Truck or Boat with a mechanic, or parking service,(airport), I take a picture of the hour meter or odometer with my phone. 

Is this too ludicrous to be true?

I must say...NO!

We have a beach front condo in a high rise in Gulf Shores. It is on the rental program and I stop by and check things out, whenever I am in the area and it is unoccupied. Last fall I "popped in" and to my surprise I find sex toys and medications (???) in the master bedroom's top dresser drawer and after looking I discover that my bedroom's hall access door's dead bolt lock had been changed. The main access door uses an access code for entry and stores the info of who has entered and when...

No doubt that "someone" in the rental agency was utilizing my condo as their private sex hideaway. A management person with the rental agency who I have gotten to know admitted to me that "it happens". So, there is no reason to  think that unscrupulous individuals would not utilize your boat in the same manner......SAD....really sad! 

Like edreg104 said....keep a close watch and take note!

A year or two ago I had posted a event that had happened while out boating. The boat was anchored along the beach and while I'm at the restaurant eating, I observe kids getting on my boat and using it as the diving platform. Then a guy comes along with his baby and puts the baby on the swim platform while playing. Needless to say, I was pissed and ran out to the boat and scattered everyone off of it.  Seriously annoyed.

But yesterday, I was the jerk [based on the above]. I took a ride to Port Colborne, Ontario [Lake Erie was smooth] and tied up in the Canal and went for lunch. When finished, I came out and I see one person standing on the dock looking at my boat. But then I see someone sitting in it. I started yelling that they're crazy for sitting on my boat. GET OFF! The guy standing on the dock walks away. As I get closer and my angle of view changes, I suddenly realize that nobody is sitting on my boat. Do I feel stupid? Yeah.  

When I walked out of the restaurant and looking at my boat, the giant cleat [not standard], US flag, and my florescent green jacket were precisely lined up making it appear as if somebody was sitting on my boat. I was about 1/4 mile away. I couldn't believe I screwed up so bad. What an optical illusion.

As I walked out to my boat, I went up to the guy that was looking at mine and explained what I saw [and the above story] and apologized.

Fortunately for me, he was cool about it.

Always make sure you get your facts straight before you respond. ;)

Other than my previous Chap being totaled by a body shop's incompetence, the worst I've had was when I had dropped my then SUV off at the dealer for some warranty work.  It was a used SUV with around 5k left on the factory warranty.  As isn't unusual, the tech drove the truck home to try to get the symptoms to occur so they could fix it.  He decided to go off roading through the trees and scratched the heck out of it and put a big dent in the door.  I showed up to pick the truck up from the repairs having been completed and nobody said a word as though I was going to drive away in it and just let the damage slide.  Long story short, two people got fired, the car manufacturer even got involved and offered me a new car at some discount that I wasn't interested in. Instead I had them fix it since I liked the car and got a long extension of the factory warranty with a zero dollar deductible and a few other things.