Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, Shepherd1 said:

What engine exactly? 496 crank position sensor is mounted at the rear of the engine near where a distributor would sit on an older 454, etc.

I have Volvo penta 5.0 gxi-b 

it starts then shut down in 2 to 3 sec

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, paulswagelock said:

Yes. Replaced on 496 - relatively easy. 

I have a Volvo penta 5.0 gxi-b 

I can start the engine after 2 to 3 sec it cut off going crazy 

Edited by BRUCE J BEEGAL
up date info

Hmmm, I don't know a 3.5L Volvo, but if the engine was say a Volvo 5.0 GXi-B, I would say it's from the early 2000's.

If you do have a 5.0 GXi-B, then item # 8 in the link below.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744230-28-5042.aspx

Pick your poison from the link below: 

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineGasolineEngines.aspx

I'm not familiar with Volvo audio alarm horn strategies, so can't advise you on what you should hear at key on. A crankshaft sensor is certainly a critical component, but I've only ever seen one fail on a 496. (intermittent shut down, and stumbling - would usually restart like nothing was wrong)

Shepherd1 thank you my engine is a 5.0 gxi-b  I am trying to fine a crankshaft sensor. We are checking all the warring and connection on all of the sensor and checking the neutral  safety switch. thanks if you can give me a call 215-768-4100 

boat.jpg

Can't promise that I'll be able to call, but I'd be very interested to see what your fuel pressure is. 

NOTE: care needs to be taken when checking fuel pressure. I don't know the specs for a Volvo 5.0 GXi-B, but would think 43 psi max.

Another thing to try is running the engine off an outboard tank to eliminate a possible problem from the boats fuel tank, fuel line, anti-siphon valve, etc. If the boat does run properly off a shop tank, 6 gallons won't take you very far...