Exoset

Florida Keys - Video

40 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Exoset how much fuel can you carry? We could easily hold a 55 gallon drum on the swim platform or over the engine hatch.

I guess 50-60 gallons is a good target. My tank hold 115 gal so I would go with at last half of it.

Same for water, I have a pretty little water tank (25 gal) if we go I want to take at least 50 gal of water.

9 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Truer words have never been uttered. There's no way Incan convince her if that. She loves the Keys idea so I'll quit while I'm ahead. :)

So in the Keys you would need to take an hotel for the month ? From what I have seen, if (like me) you're after quiet, nature, etc then the lower keys should be your target (Marathon, Big Pine, etc), for more activities (parties, etc), especially at dusk / night ( Key West is recommended). Drew will be able to talk about upper keys (Islamorada, Key Largo, etc), I have not stayed there but a lot of people told me that as it is the closest from Miami so, there is a lot of spring breaker, etc. I assume it should be noisy, at least more than the lower Keys.

Don't worry about Dry Tortugas, there is plenty to do just in the Keys ;).

I LOVE the upper keys. It is true that they are sometimes more crowded than further South, but the amount of quality reefs off of Key Largo is astonishing. Also the stretch of islands and boating from Miami to Key Largo is beautiful as most of the islands are very remote and undeveloped (Biscayne National Park). It is true that the northern reefs have declined a ton and are heavily used, but still it is so easy to get away from other boaters as there are so many reefs and so much space. The upper keys are very laid back and quiet after dark. Not much night life or hustle and bustle, nothing like Key West.

Key Largo is pretty busy with traffic, but North Key Largo is absolutely desolate. Tavernier is very sleepy, but peaceful and charming. Our favorite cafe and nature preserve are on Tavernier.

Islamorada has a nice vibe and is fairly lovely for the keys.

Marathon I have found has the most vagrants and undesirable residents.

Big Pine is beautiful and serene and Looe Key is the best barrier reef in the whole keys reef tract, but quiet is an understatement. It is like a whole other world and the bugs after dark are worse than other keys, but it is still with it.

Key West is quaint and has some charm, but equally as many crazies and tourists. It is full of history and wonderful sights, but also full of sketchy people, especially after dark. The reefs around key West used to be some of the best, but due to tourism, sewage discharge (which has been alleviated), and cruise ships prop dredging are now the most degraded in the keys, but they may be recovering some based on what I've heard. I generally avoid key West though...

I didn't had any problems with bugs in Big Pine nor Marathon. I guess it is worst at Bahia Honda at dusk but I haven't stayed there after 5 PM, I always slept at the Marina.

I talked with several other boaters and they were very friendly but it is true that I am from Canada and people are more distant than in US. Even more true in Quebec. Also we spent all of our time boating so I can't tell if people on land were friendly or not. My days were always the same, boat, beach, snorkle, that is my vision of holidays :).

No matter where you will be in the Keys, I am confident we will be able to meet somewhere ;)

Drew, is it feasible to stay in hotels or condos on a trip from Key Largo to Key West? (or another turning around point ?) Or

is it too much trouble.  We have an open bow, so dry land at night is all we can do.  We made it to Bimini in my boat, without

any issues except for getting the %$#@ beat out of us.  No taking on waves over the bow but we ran about 20 mph going

over and 30-32 coming back.  I now know why you cautioned about a smaller boat making that trip !!!!        

Yes, it is very feasible to stay a hotel, but it is more $ so be aware. Many of the small boutique type hotels have their own dock, but they will charge you to use it. Still, they are very cute a charming and I recommend La Jolla, La Siesta, Coral Bay, etc.

Just let the wife watch your vid.    Now she is asking to take the boat when we head to gulf shores in a few weeks.     Don't think our little 186 ssi would fare well out there !

Well on the gulf side there is a lot of open decks, PWC, etc..

You should be good, gulf side is calmer than most of the lake I went so far, but don't go on Atlantic side when it is windy.

Ok guys, is it time to start planning summer 2018 ? :D

I won't be down there before the 11th of June and I should stay until 6 or 7 th of August. As planned, I will stay there : https://marathonmarinaandresort.com/marina-2/

If interested 1 month with 30 AMP, TV, Pump out at the slip every week, trailer storage cost 950 $ taxes included. I don't know if it is too expensive or not but that is the only place I found where there is decent dockage and RV park for my parents.

On my way I should cross those states if some want to join on the road : NY, PA, VA, SC, NC, GA and FL. All the way on interstates from north to south : I87, I90, I88, I81, I64, I95, US 1. Departure will probably be the 7th by the end of the day or early the 8th of June.

I will be there no matter what and will have two months to plan small trip (Miami, KWest, Bimini or else), I will be glad to meet those able to be there :).

Let's plan !!!!!!! :D

I am in for the keys.

The run to dry tortugas is not for me, I am not carrying fuel on a swim platform.

A lot depends on you guys that drive a long distance where you want to put in.

Do you want to spend the day mostly cruising or anchored up with each other swimming eating and enjoying the scenery....drinking too!

Maybe a new folder and we can start with some dates?

Haha @jeffk that is precisely what I am planning to do AND what I have done in 2016... I think people in FL call this Farniente.

I don't mind going to DT but I won't go there alone if nobody want to. I will wait what @Drew have to say about it.

Are you willing to make some small trips ? Like Miami, Key West or even go back to Bimini, I am thinking of 3-4 days max.

A new thread is a good idea, I will wait to see if there is enough people interested ;)

I live in Miami....not much of a trip.

If I were driving down, there are some decisions to be made.

How far do you want to go....remember you have to drive back!

What do you want to see, and do.

Personally I like the upper keys better.

I dont like key west and that would be a haul for me, take me two days by boat to get down there.

Larry, there are plenty of hotels by the marinas.

If we do key largo, dont stay at john pennekamp as you will be a walking mosquito bite if you go out at night.

If you guys do key west and dt, maybe I will drive down and meet you guys one night.

Hey Jeffk, 

What about Zman and I come to your place and we all cruise to Key Largo?  Then on down to Islamorada? I haven't mentioned

this to him, so it's just a thought. I think cruising thru Miami would be cool.  Looking at a Sea Ray 310 on Monday.  But I'm coming, whatever we are floating in  !!  

21 hours ago, RRRR said:

Hey Jeffk, 

What about Zman and I come to your place and we all cruise to Key Largo?  Then on down to Islamorada? I haven't mentioned

this to him, so it's just a thought. I think cruising thru Miami would be cool.  Looking at a Sea Ray 310 on Monday.  But I'm coming, whatever we are floating in  !!  

I think that would be fun. Take a break on the ICW and dock up at a restaurant for a meal. Find a marina to stay on the boat a night during the trip. Hmmmmm