castle285ssx

Winterization

Okay, so I currently have a 285 SSX and was thinking of upgrading.  Guess my question is will the winterization and spring start up cost be more than I can afford.  I have had the local dealer doing the work on my 285SSX, maybe $800 for winterizing and $500 for spring start up.  Can I simply double those numbers?  Any thoughts?

You pay a guy to start your boat in the spring?

All one does is put the batteries in and turn the key.........:o

The spring start-up seems a bit steep, unless it includes a full fluid change, impeller replacement, bellows check/replacement, etc.

That said, if you're concerned about bearing a doubling of those costs, I'd think seriously about whether you can handle any unforeseen repair costs.

Put the drain plug in. Put the computer bilge pump fuse back in.  Turn on the battery switch.  Check all oils & gauges of course. Should be good to go.

The boat was put away running  O K.

Never paid a penny for winterization or dewinterization on mine.  About 2 hours to change the oil and drive lube and winterize in the fall.  Absolutely nothing to do but turn the key in the spring.  If you pay to have it done, and you are paying a lot, then yes, 2 engines would approximately double the cost, probably a little less.

probably need to learn to do some of that your self or find somebody else.  spring start up should be taking the covers off, putting batteries on and turning the key.  and for $800 what are you getting for winterization.  My winterization cost me 20 bucks and 30 mins of time,  spring start up cost me less than 100 doing the fluid changes.

need more detail.  what is included in your 2 charges.   I pay 240  deer for engine winterization that includes fluid changes.  I winterize my water systems and cover it my self.   i do the startup stuff myself.   I assume you will be going to a twin engine boat, so  that will add some .

800 to winterize? I almost choked! I started to winterize my own boat last year. So simple it burned me up that I didn't do it myself before. Its so simple its disgusting. haha

Do nothing in the spring, will I never heard of that. 

1. Out drive fluid gets changed in the fall. I always check it in the spring because it can fill in air gaps over the winter.

2. I do a load test on the batteries. Clean and grease the connections.

3. Flush out the fresh water system. 

4. Replace the AL anodes. Why let them be exposed to the winter.

5. Run up the engines before putting the boat in the water.   

6. Every other year do a impeller change. Why install them in the fall? More of a chance of them taking a set over the winter.

7. Change the fuel filters. I want the stabilizer from the tank to be in the complete fuel system from the spring.  

In my case I bottom paint too and I am sure I left something out.

56 minutes ago, SST said:

800 to winterize? I almost choked! I started to winterize my own boat last year. So simple it burned me up that I didn't do it myself before. Its so simple its disgusting. haha

yeah just winterizing around here is in the 200 range, just winterization no fluid change.  Now figuring its a 30min task to just winterize,  I figured out how to do it a long time ago.  I just cant see paying 1500 bucks a year to have somebody winterize my boat and then unwinterize it, for what probably accounts for a an hour or two worth of work and less than 100 bucks in parts.  He might be shrink wrapping as well, which is 10-12 per foot in the fall.