Slapshot

OneDrive Setup and Usage (PhotoBucket replacement)

16 posts in this topic

This forum has provided a good deal of insight to me concerning my boat.  I'm a new boat owner so I can't contribute much, but what I'd like to do is at least contribute something. 

In the absence of PhotoBucket I would like to provide an option to those of you who are in need of free file storage.  I know many of you are already utilizing other options, but I utilize Microsoft OneDrive because it is free, and I can upload any type of files including pictures.

I have composed two separate sets of instructions.  The first one is a complete set of instructions on how to setup an account with Microsoft OneDrive.  The second one is how to upload photos, and then insert them into webpages or forums such as this one.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Step One: OneDrive Setup Account

Step Two: OneDrive Usage

That's a nice and one of the most likely time proof alternatives.

Thanks for sharing the info and instructions. I will try it out!

FWIW....

We should note, however, that OneDrive's privacy policy didn't change along with the name. We mentioned this when we talked about cloud storage services that protect your privacy, but Microsoft is well known for giving itself broad rights to peek into your account and rummage through your digital belongings. From that article:

On the other end of the spectrum, Microsoft's SkyDrive has regularly come under scrutiny by privacy advocates. Microsoft is known to scan its users' files, sometimes with disastrous results. In 2011, a German photographer had his Microsoft accounts restricted because Microsoft deemed some of his professional work "questionable." Another user had his accounts closed even though the content he had stored was in a private folder, accessible only to him.

Of course, you give them that right when you sign up for a OneDrive account, but their approach goes much further than Dropbox, Box, or most other cloud storage companies (except perhaps, Apple, which gives itself similar rights). We would suggest that if you do choose to use OneDrive, be careful what you store there, use a separate account from the same Microsoft account you use for mail or Xbox, or consider encrypting your data.

OneDrive doesn't have the editing tools that make Google+ useful for photographers. It doesn't have any editing tools, aside from rotate, move, and copy. The galleries look great, but don't expect to do much with your photos.

Rip5, thank you for the information; however, from my time in information technology I have learned to take the good and bad with a grain of salt.  I believe you would be hard pressed not to find a cloud provider that isn't mining your data.  Once you upload to their servers your data becomes their data.

I've been dealing with Microsoft OneDrive since it's inception years ago, and I assumed my usage to be similar to everyone on these forums.  I have not had an issue nor have any of my work colleagues had issues with OneDrive. 

At this point in time I think it comes down to which SaaS (Software as a Service) meets your needs.  OneDrive meets my needs on multiple levels, and I use Microsoft products on a regular basis for work and at home.  (Not to mention it is free.)

If you have anymore questions or concerns please let me know.  I'm not a 100% advocate of any cloud provider (including OneDrive); however, I just wanted to give back to this community.

If you need instructions on how to use Google Drive I can share those as well.

Please base your cloud provider selection on who you feel most comfortable with and the product that meets your needs.

Most comfortable for me, will not be OneDrive. It's a helper for people with Windows 8, not a big advantage if

you are not running that OS. But it works, and that is the point.

Whatever people choose is fine, just update their signatures as it looks like HE\\ seeing this crap when you open up a post:

Especially when it is 1/2 the size of your screen....

IMG_4560_zpsznq6ug4b.jpg

Just moved most of my pics from PB to One Drive. Been playing with it on my sig pic and it seems to work well for me. Just have to get used to their process of embedding.

y4mijXLfN-ZfPsewqzmdMIGLTF5PB6rr6i5HNN3h

The two pics above look pixilated and overexposed. May not be the fault of OneDrive, but just what was used to

take the original. Glad it works for you.

It's actually my fault. Both pics were cropped then enlarged. 

Old people hate change. I'm still able to get PB to work.

However I will start playing with the others.  Denny.

IMGP4814_zpsalkb7g4t.jpg

Slapshot...I'm having trouble posting to my signature from an iPad.  Any write up for that?  

Much appreciated.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:51 AM, Jjlai724 said:

Slapshot...I'm having trouble posting to my signature from an iPad.  Any write up for that?  

Much appreciated.

Let me test it out on an ipad, and I will post my results.

Dapper-Dan-Pomade.gif?psid=1

Inserted via iPad.

Okay this is possible, but it takes a few extra steps.

1. I downloaded the OneDrive app from the App Store however I'm sure you could do the same from a browser.

2. I uploaded the above pic to the pictures directory.

3. Select the photo you want to share.

4. I selected the Save/Share option (looks like a square with an upwards pointing arrow).

5. Select Copy link

6. Open a browser like Safari or Firefox and paste the link & go.

7. Select the option View Original.

8. Copy the link from the address bar.

9. Go to the forums or medium which you want to share your photo via url. In our case we will utilize the Insert Image from URL.

10. Double tap the text area to paste the URL.