Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
escarter1979

Trim Tabs on 236SSX??

9 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of putting trim tabs on our 07 236 SSX.  I need it to be able to stay on plane a few mph slower for wakeboarding.  I struggle keeping the bow down under 24 mph and would love to get down to the 20-21 mph range.  

Has anyone added trim tabs to their 236?  What size?  Where should they be placed?  I remember reading that closer to the out drive was better placement for wakeboarding improvements but the thread never provided any resolution.

Thanks,

EC

There are 3 options you could go with: One challenge however will be where to place the hand control unit on the dash for your particular model. 

1. Lenco

2. Bennett 1212E

3. Zipwake

Chaparral used a Lenco 12x12 Edgemount kit on the 256 SSx which has a similar hull shape as your 236 SSx. You will need 2 parts:

Lenco part # 15016-101            TT 12 X 12 ENS

Lenco part # 15270-001            2 piece LED trim position switch with indicators (2 piece design probably needed due to restricted space behind the dash

http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/products/trim-tabs/edge-mount

http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/products/lenco-switch-kits/led-two-piece-single-actuator

NOTE: I had to drill a 1/4" hole in each trim tab, and then installed one magnesium trim tab anode per tab. I did this after I noticed a little corrosion without them during the first season. Boat goes in late June, comes out right after Labour Day. No power at the dock, and no other docks or source of electrical power for several hundred yards in any direction.

Fresh water lake with no known problems, and a ss prop.

NOTE: the ss tabs are HARD drilling.

edgemount_diagram.jpg

Chaparral factory installed Lenco 12x12 Edgemount kit and controller on a 2010 256 SSx. Hard to see, but Chaparral mounted an anode on each tab; can see the single machine screw head on the bottom side.

Image result for 256 ssx trim tabsImage result for 256 ssx trim tabs

256SSx004.jpg

13 hours ago, Shepherd1 said:

There are 3 options you could go with: One challenge however will be where to place the hand control unit on the dash for your particular model. 

1. Lenco

2. Bennett 1212E

3. Zipwake

Chaparral used a Lenco 12x12 Edgemount kit on the 256 SSx which has a similar hull shape as your 236 SSx. You will need 2 parts:

Lenco part # 15016-101            TT 12 X 12 ENS

Lenco part # 15270-001            2 piece LED trim position switch with indicators (2 piece design probably needed due to restricted space behind the dash

http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/products/trim-tabs/edge-mount

http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/products/lenco-switch-kits/led-two-piece-single-actuator

NOTE: I had to drill a 1/4" hole in each trim tab, and then installed one magnesium trim tab anode per tab. I did this after I noticed a little corrosion without them during the first season. Boat goes in late June, comes out right after Labour Day. No power at the dock, and no other docks or source of electrical power for several hundred yards in any direction.

Fresh water lake with no known problems, and a ss prop.

NOTE: the ss tabs are HARD drilling.

edgemount_diagram.jpg

Chaparral factory installed Lenco 12x12 Edgemount kit and controller on a 2010 256 SSx. Hard to see, but Chaparral mounted an anode on each tab; can see the single machine screw head on the bottom side.

Image result for 256 ssx trim tabsImage result for 256 ssx trim tabs

256SSx004.jpg

+1

Changes the whole attitude of the boat.  Nice smooth ride at 60.All around great addition. The 1212E's fit perfect on the 236. You just have to exchange the actuators for the shorter ones. Good luck.

Best add-on I ordered with the boat.  I have the lencos and really like them.  They do have anodes on them too. 

Thanks for the info Shepherd1.

Can any of you tell me what they do to the wake? My main goal for installing these is to allow wakeboarding at 20-21mph.  I've read on some in other threads that the wake can suffer.

Thanks

EC

Escarter1979

Did you end up doing the trim tabs? Just bought a 07 236 ssx. Thinking about doing the same? Any of you guys that have, where did you put the indicatior?

I had Nauticus SX Smart Tabs on my 235 SSI and I loved them.  Got them for the same reason, wakeboarding.  They were an inexpensive option and did the job.  No switches, wiring or adjusting them.  I could let my wife and kid drive and not worry about them.  Very good customer service as well.

I have the 1212E.

They do change the wake if in full down position.

On my boat, this is not necessary if people are placed throughout the boat.  I always try to sit two up front if someone is in the first mate's seat next to me and everything works great with minimal trim and a full wake.  If only two are on the boat, no issues at 17 mph.

Switch is placed to the right of the steering wheel.

More importantly is our boat always lists to the starboard side.  Dropping the port trim tab for merely just a second pops the starboard side right up and perfectly levels the boat.