Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyV

29 or 31 Signature ?

Just sold my 04, 265 SSI, Big Block

Now looking for either a 2005 or newer 29 or 31 Signature

Any opinions out there on which is a better boat ?

I saw a really nice 04, 29 with 250 hours, I wish it was newer

Should I spend the extra for a 31 ? 

I appreciate your input 

Thanks

At that length.  The length numbers are useless.

YOU HAVE to go on board feel & drive it  around & dock it to see if it     FITS   what you want & expect.   Bigger boats take longer to decide upon.  A LOT LONGER.

The older 29, is the same length as a newer 31.

My sig 310 is the same as my old 280 sig

You will spend extra for the 31 as it is newer.

If in doubt always go bigger. You will never regret. Going smaller you will. Test ride it and look at one and I think the decision will be easy

I have gone with up to 100' boat buyers.  It was ALMOST ALWAYS several trips back & forth to compare a lot of items to be changed out. Then buy.

Just make sure that they do not have the volvo XDP crap drive.

OP, Boats with the XDP drives (VP) have an OSI postfix in the engine name, i.e. VP 8.1 OSI.  As MPM suggest the XDP outdrives are to be avoided due design and part failure issues.  

Depending on the year a 31 maybe the same boat as an older 29. Like my 330 became a 350. The 29 has a nice cabin layout.

17 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Just sold my 04, 265 SSI, Big Block

Now looking for either a 2005 or newer 29 or 31 Signature

Any opinions out there on which is a better boat ?

I saw a really nice 04, 29 with 250 hours, I wish it was newer

Should I spend the extra for a 31 ? 

I appreciate your input 

Thanks

I will sell you mine!!! 2011 sig 290 w/Volvo's 4.3L 

We looked at a new 2007 Signature 29 but  a few things turned us off so we opted for a used 310 instead. The biggest thing about the 29" we didn't like was that you had to lower your galley table every night to go to bed and the minor thing was that there no place to store a trash can in the cabin area. The 29' boat in stock at the dealership at the time was a black hull and I wanted a blue hull, but in retrospect, my next boat will be white.

1 hour ago, Weekend At Bernie's said:

We looked at a new 2007 Signature 29 but  a few things turned us off so we opted for a used 310 instead. The biggest thing about the 29" we didn't like was that you had to lower your galley table every night to go to bed and the minor thing was that there no place to store a trash can in the cabin area. The 29' boat in stock at the dealership at the time was a black hull and I wanted a blue hull, but in retrospect, my next boat will be white.

I must have the redesigned 290. No need to lower or remover the table and we do have trash storage. But the mid-ship berth is more comfortable. 

3 hours ago, Iggy said:

I must have the redesigned 290. No need to lower or remover the table and we do have trash storage. But the mid-ship berth is more comfortable. 

The 290 we looked at had an electrically controlled table you had to lower to make the forward berth. The aft berth was more like a coffin for two (my wife's words) and not well ventilated for cold air circulation which is a huge need during the Florida summers. No disrespect intended as the 2007 290 just wasn't the boat for us.

No problem!! My table is manual. And yes the mid-ship berth is tight. Were both about 5,5 in height. So its not too bad! I am up here in Boston so its not that hot. But the boat also has A.C. if it gets too warm.

But I am selling it in 1 to 2 years for a 32 to 38 footer. The wife wants bigger....................... 

JV-

My neighbor has the '04 290, and comparing to our '04 310, there are some significant design differences.  You really need to try them both on and see how it fits you and how you want to use it.  When we got our 310 we were actually looking for the 290 because we liked our neighbor's so much.  There are 3 of us that use ours regularly so the additional size made sense.  We love ours.  Good luck!

Thank you all for your input

How do I identify the XDP drive, is there a year (s) that were were most common

Anybody prefer Merc Brovo 3's  over Volvo ?

I love my 290, but have to concur that bigger is better.  You WILL get "2-foot-itis" eventually.

I find the electric table/berth forward to be very useful.  Sleeping mostly in the stern berth.  Got TV and A/C back there -- cozy and being closer to the water line and Center of Gravity, less rocking.  The 310s that I am familiar with have a fixed berth forward -- you lose some flexibility.

The amount of storage space under the forward berth will offset any "flexibility" issues. It's huge! I'm curious as to what flexibility you would loose? To each is own, but I like not having to lower a table or add cushions just to go to bed and we don't like sleeping in confined spaces. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Thank you all for your input

How do I identify the XDP drive, is there a year (s) that were were most common

Anybody prefer Merc Brovo 3's  over Volvo ?

The easiest way is that they are black plastic.

Here is a thread that talks about the problems.

I have a totally freshwater 310 2012 for sale if interested in a newer 310. always kept on a lift(for sale too). send me a message if interested.