JP127

2001 180 SSE Parts Catalog

10 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get my hands on a parts catalog for my 2001 Chaparral 180 SSE, and cannot find anything.  I even checked the Chaparral web site and it only goes back to the 2002 183 SSI.  I need to replace the trim button on the throttle, and the trim solenoids.  I'd also like to replace the steering wheel cap since mine is missing (but this isn't as important as the trim button and solenoids). Does anyone have a resource?

Trim solenoid and button (on the shifter) are Merc or Volvo parts. 

Try Cecil Marine (they participate here) for Chaparral parts. 

brick

5 hours ago, brick said:

Trim solenoid and button (on the shifter) are Merc or Volvo parts. 

Try Cecil Marine (they participate here) for Chaparral parts. 

brick

+1 What Brick said...

PTC to the rescue!

Brick will understand...

1 hour ago, Ingalp01 said:

+1 What Brick said...

PTC to the rescue!

Brick will understand...

Land of the golf cart...

brick

I contacted Cecil Marine. They said they specialized in Volvo parts, not Mercury. Is there another contact someone can send me?

On 7/11/2017 at 3:40 PM, JP127 said:

I'm trying to get my hands on a parts catalog for my 2001 Chaparral 180 SSE, and cannot find anything.  I even checked the Chaparral web site and it only goes back to the 2002 183 SSI.  I need to replace the trim button on the throttle, and the trim solenoids.  I'd also like to replace the steering wheel cap since mine is missing (but this isn't as important as the trim button and solenoids). Does anyone have a resource?

MarinePartsPlus

17 hours ago, JP127 said:

I contacted Cecil Marine. They said they specialized in Volvo parts, not Mercury. Is there another contact someone can send me?

marinepartsplus.com works very well if you know how to find the particular parts.

You should have a Gen I 4000 panel style pistol grip shifter for MY 2001 Chaparral 183 SS with MerCruiser power. The trim switch of course if a double detent. Push soft for trim, and hard for trailer. That is the style my 2001 186 SSi had before I replaced with a 4500 Gen II remote control and cables. (original shifter was damaged when I purchased the boat, and could go into gear without depressing the thumb button - I never was a fan of the thumb button either)

Does the drive trim at all when you push in for either trim or trailer detents? If not, could be the switch in the handle, faulty up solenoid, or a loose 3 pin connector on the trim pump. (item # 3 in the bottom schematic picture)

Interesting to me that you are looking at both a trim switch, and trim solenoids. Thinking it is possible you're not pushing the trim button in hard enough, or the trim limit switch needs to be adjusted or replaced, or do the wiring work around on the trim pump to bypass the trim limit switch altogether.

Picture below shows a Mercury Commander 4000 panel mount (Gen I) sadly missing the throttle only button and couple of plastic trim pieces.

commander 3000.jpg

All Mercury controls from 1994 and newer: http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/accessories/serial/Remote_Controls_and_Components/889892

Mercury Commander 4000 Pistol Grip (Gen I) http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/accessories/serial/Remote_Controls_and_Components/889892/8457-215

15597.GIF

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/ALPHA_ONE_GEN.II_1998_AND_UP/809759+98/2686-190

45463.GIF

5735.jpeg

Edit: I guess the free version of photobucket doesn't work anymore.

I disassembled the two halves of I the throttle handle and sprayed electrical cleaner in here (Where the red arrow is pointing), and now it's trimming up and down just fine. I was thinking of replacing the button on my own, but it may be beyond my mechanical aptitude. 

Shepherd1, you wrote: Push soft for trim, and hard for trailer.

There are 2 clicks when I push to trim up. The first click has never done anything since I've owned the boat (bought it 2 years ago).  The second click trims it up. 

And thank you for the links and info!!