brclark82

Talk me OUT of a new truck

29 posts in this topic

So, this summer with the new boat we have started traveling with the boat much more.  Already this summer we have made round trips of 700 and 900 miles and have plans for one more around 7-800. One of our main lakes (2-3 trips/month) is a little over 100 miles round trip. With all this additional traveling it has made me wish I had a 3/4 ton again since I went back to a half ton last time I upgraded. Much of our travel is thru some pretty hilly areas and it seems I just notice it a little more than the last one.

With that being said I currently have a '14 Silverado High Country with the upgraded 6.2L V8 (420hp/460torque) and it only has 36,000 miles on it. 

The 2500's only come in 6.0L gas and the Duramax diesel.  If I do it I would be getting the diesel, I'm not gonna upgrade to the bigger frame and go down on my HP/torque. I have never owned a diesel but grew up on a farm and have been around them my entire life.

I went in for an oil change recently and was looking at some of the diesels on the lot. This dealership was marking them down from 67-68k to around $59k. A couple days later I get a flyer on the mail that says private offer, negotiate your best deal and then give this voucher to the dealer for an additional $4k off. So now we are down to $55k with no negotiation. That's not too far off what I paid for my half ton gasser so it seems like a good deal. 

Is this a good idea or am I crazy?

I drive less than 15 miles, all interstate zero traffic, each way on a daily basis to work. 

If we aren't towing the boat we usually take the wife's grand Cherokee when it's not just me going to work.

My current 6.2L recommends (and I comply) premium fuel, so the fuel savings would be more than normal.

My current truck gets 9-9.5 MPG when towing.

My boat/trailer only weighs in around 6k lbs.

Other than the frame and engine and bed (I currently have short box) there are zero other upgrades to this truck over what I currently have (tech, features etc), it is identical on the interior. 

My wife, who is normally the super money conscious person and would think this idea is crazy, is 100% on board and ready to go test drive.

What do ya think?

Is it a good idea? - NO

Should you do it? - Absolutely.  - as long as you can spare the cash.  Nice trucks.  I have one on my wish list.  

Nothing about boating or the boating lifestyle makes financial sense.  It it gives you pleasure and doesn't put too much of a hurt on you in some other area of the budget - then go for it.  I would not waste your time trying to fool yourself into believing things like you will save money on gas, etc..etc..  You will lose money on this upgrade, but its a nice view from up there in the 2500 cab.  Good luck with your decision.  

Exactly...my wife says "why do you want it" expecting me to say I need the power, gas mileage, blah blah blah...I said "cause I like new trucks :P" she said go for it

Sounds like she is a keeper!  Post a pic when you get the truck and give us some follow up on your experiences going over to the 3/4 ton diesel as a daily driver.  

My diesel sits in the garage and have a daily driver to keep the miles off the truck. The cost of the second car is way cheaper that the cost of maintenance and mileage depreciation of a 3/4 ton diesel. And it's no fun for me to drive the big truck everyday and have to deal with parking , traffic, and worrying about someone hitting it.

i believe your current truck is rated to tow 10,000 lbs, maybe more.   doesnt sound like you need it.  but if you like new toys, and who doesn't, and you got the cash....why not

Beef up the suspension on your current truck. That will help. A nice set of airbags will make it tow better. 

Depends on what your trade-in value is versus what you still owe on your current truck.  If you owe more than what the dealer is willing to give for the trade I would walk away since this will obviously increase the loan amount.  For me my needs far outweigh my wants in a situation like this, and I always pay close attention to the cost and benefit of a major purchase.  Hopefully you owe less than the trade-in value, and you can make this deal work.  I'm envious of you if you make this purchase.

Jake

Yeah, I only owe about $17k on my truck and have 25 payments left. Trade in is somewhere around $35k. I put a pretty sizable down payment on it originally and it has held is value pretty well. Doing a trade in valuation based on what I believe the value would be 25 payments from now would give me about $5k more equity than I currently have.

It looks like my monthly payments would actually go down a little if I went with 60 months like last time or up a little if I go with 48 this time. Either is fine with me. Going to test drive it tonight. Probably going to have to absolutely fall in love to pull the trigger, but 920lb-ft of torque that low in the power band may just make that happen :D 

I purchased a '16 Silverado 2500 Duramax back in January.  The deal was too good to pass up!  i absolutely love my new truck compared to my former '08 Duramax.  It drives so nice and I'm getting 18-20 mpg.  I've put 11K miles on it already due to my daughter playing travel softball.  But I have no regrets making the move!  Very comfortable and great looking trucks!

No question that a Duramax is a great tow vehicle. I will not try to talk you out if it. 

Then you can get a bigger boat...

brick

Haha! Congrats on the NEW truck and now as Brick said, you can get a bigger boat! :D

Beautiful!  My '16 has so much friggen power, I can't even imagine the '17 with the new engine!  I love the hood scoop.  Congrats

Thanks guys, it is pretty sweet so far.  I will say this was probably the best car buying experience I've ever had.  

Certainly didn't NEED a new truck so it wouldn't have been that big of a deal if I didn't end up getting one and I really learned a lot about the art of car negotiation this time.  Was way more prepared before I got to the dealer and then was also prepared to wait if necessary, and it was.

The first numbers the salesperson can back with we're almost $200/month higher than my buying target :huh: and I almost just walked wothout even negotiating.  But I just laid it out for him how I got my number (new truck price I was willing to pay, trade value I wanted minus payoff, and interest rate I knew I was qualified for) and if they could get there I'd sign.  They came within $50/mo immediately after I showed them my numbers.  Then a little more talking and letting them know i had a number and wasn't going higher. Went home and 2 days later they called and gave me exactly what I asked for.  From all the research I did this was a ridiculous deal.

The deal was so good, using numbers for a '16 w/ 15,000 miles as the current truck value (actually a '17 with 50 miles) I actually gained some equity during this deal (instead of the new car drop when you drive it off) and ended up with a 1.35% lower interest rate.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:01 AM, brclark82 said:

You guys don't follow instructions well...

y4mFm3qOb7pSqCL5HRhhdu6siNO8eXZfLICpM0pf

Man, that is a sweet looking diesel!

You are now making me question my idea of buying a used truck and leasing a Corvette next summer.  Must not look at brclark82 truck pic...

Thanks for the comments guys...today is one week in and so far it's amazing.  

Usually takes a little time to get used to the quirks of a new truck/engine/tranny but it seems they got it right with this combo.  Engine has completely effortless power, tranny shifts where you want it to and smoothly, tow/haul mode functions exactly how it should.  It's very quiet inside but just enough engine noise to tell you're driving a diesel :D Stiff, but not uncomfortable, suspension. Pulls my little boat like nothing, big difference over my half ton.

I do wish they would catch up with Ford in some of the available features like all the camera options, rear seat vents, and some other tech stuff but overall extremely happy so far.  Now let's just hope it continues that way.

I have already put 11K miles on my 2016 and I love it.  Ride is so nice and comfortable.  Like you said, pulls my boat like it's nothing!