Chris g

Engine size question.

Considering buying a new chapperal. Question to the veterans out there. Is a v6 volva penta 200 hp enough to power up adequately a h20 21 footer? Thanks

Depends on what you want to do with it I suppose.

I have the merc 220 hp in a 21 ft h20.  I have never driven the 200 or 250 hp so I can't offer you a direct comparison.    

I can pull a 200 lb adult out of the water on a wakeboard, but there is no power to spare.  

I would not want less than the 220 hp, but you need to hear from the 200 hp owners.  I would recommend that you consider going with the 250 hp - wait / order one if you have to.  

My 186  has a 5.0 L 220 hp V 8 in it. NOT over powered. But it weighs 3200 pounds empty. You boat is 100 pounds lighter ,same width, V is about the same. So how many people do you want in it & at what speed  ?  All + 200 pounders or all cheerleaders ?  Big weight difference to power up .

Ha ha. No not all 200 pounders. However wifie and 3 kids most times. Probably towing them on tubes etc. Occasionally friends which could be 8 to 10 max. Better gas mileage? And pricing?

No I think you would be disappointed.  I would go 4.5L Merc 250hp on a 21'

I have a '17 21' H2O w/ the new 4.5L 250HP so I unfortunately can't give you any info on the Volvo. My boat maxes out around 48-49 mph but it gets up on plane and to that speed in a real big hurry if you want it to.  I'm 6' 200 and my dad is 6'3' 240 and pulls us up on skis with 3 other adults in the boat without even breaking a sweat. I actually think it rides better the more people and weight I have. I also haven't had any of the porpoising issues I've read about other H2O's either. I've been very happy so far other than the fact that I wish it was a 287 SSX :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, dn0349 said:

No I think you would be disappointed.  I would go 4.5L Merc 250hp on a 21'

I've been a Merc since I got into the industry, but if I was buying a new 21' H20, I'd opt for the Volvo 240 hp V6. Regardless of V6 manufacturer, a 200 hp Volvo and 240 version use the same cams, heads, etc - same goes for MerCruisers old 4.3L and new 4.5L. Only change is the ECM program, and you WON'T be able to reflash or replace the ECM for the price difference from the factory for the hp options. NOTE: haven't even found anyone online who can reflash these new engines so one is probably stuck with the hp package they get short of replacing the ECM, which is $$$

Reasons I'd choose the Volvo 240 hp 4.3L V6 over the new MerCruisear 250 hp 4.5L are:

-all new GM aluminum block with variable valve timing; has fresh water cooling, direct injection, less weight, and willing to bet greater performance numbers vs. new Merc 250 hp 4.5L V6 cast iron engine. (current Volvo LS based small block 6.2L V8-430 kicks the arse of the 430 hp Merc 8.2L Mag HO big block for performance for the same reasons.

- if the drive should get smashed on a shoal, could always install a DPS-B gear case or complete drive to replace the SX (this would allow even greater all around performance and that hull will handle it no problem) Can't go from an Alpha to a Bravo series without replacing the complete transom assy.

- cost, which is essentially the same between Merc and Volvo.

Cons for Volvo:

- with fresh water cooling, the antifreeze will need to be replaced just like in a car or truck as it will turn highly corrosive over time. Added cost.

- plastic power trim hoses are prone to muskrat chew damage - ss braided lines that Merc uses don't suffer this fate (we see a couple boat every year that suffer this fate

- parts look up is a PITA vs MerCruiser's system. Volvo's warranty system is a PITA too.

In my honest experience, neither is better for warranty issues, but both are actually quite reliable. Have fun no matter which way you go, or what you buy.

First time I disagree with you Shep, I would still buy Merc as these engines are truly built for marine purposes.  The new GM blocks can't take fresh water cooling because they can't handle the wide range in temp differences water can have.  In the end both are fine as it's the old personal opinion like Chevy vs Ford.

I still think Volvo has a better sales advertising team & charges more  for parts. When available. 

Putting the hydraulic pump system outside the transom. Says a lot about built in failures. 

Oh well. All companies are not perfect. They only say they are.

We have wandered.  

It comes down to what you want the boat to drag & still go fast ? Blazing 2 person speed. Or planning with 10 people average weight 160 pounds. Engine weights mean very little then.  TORQUE &  gearbox ratio rule.   ...........1 prop can NOT do both well. Prop change Needed.  Can you pay or do it your self in water as needed ?

If you really think there is a chance that you will be a boater for 10 years or so, go with the SSi.  You will be wanting to upgrade the H20 after a few years.   I know it's easier to say that when it's not my money, but consider used boats that have depreciated a lot and need a new home.  Lot's of used boats are out there for a good price.  I drove 500 miles to pick up mine.  

Wow, have any of the h2o haters out there actually ever been out in one?  They are nice, well built boats.  In fact I would venture to say they are the nicest new boats out there for the money.  So, are you saying that no one should buy a new Chaparral unless it is at least 22' long and costs at least $60,000?  I'm sorry for being like this but the constant "I'd never buy an h2o" BS has really gotten old.  Get over it.  This guy posts on here with a legitimate and specific question, and it didn't include "oh by the way what do you think of the h2o line up in general"

23 hours ago, Chris g said:

Considering buying a new chapperal. Question to the veterans out there. Is a v6 volva penta 200 hp enough to power up adequately a h20 21 footer? Thanks

I think you probably already know the answer to this question.  The 200hp will be adequate for that boat.  The real question is if you will be happy with a boat that just has adequate power.  It will pull wakeboarders, and tubes just fine.  It may not have the same top speed, and may not get up on plane as fast as the higher hp engine, but that's up to you as to whether or not you'll care.  Lots of people come up to me and tell me how good my boat looks, but not a single one has ever asked me how much horsepower it has.  

It seems as though you've settled on VP.  Perhaps the dealer you've been talking to deals with more Volvo than Merc.  Either Volvo or Mercruiser will be fine.  Many folks on here have said pick your dealer first, then pick your boat.  So, if you like that dealer, and they like Volvo, then go Volvo.  

I'd kinda second the h2o hate going on. im rather new to the forum and have noticed it too. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any proof that the h2o's are bad boats?  That they are shoddy in any way?

OP: I've got the outboard version with the 150 Yamaha. It moves pretty good. Gps top speed has been 48mph so far with 17hrs on it. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the 200hp option, but I haven't had any issues planing or towing a tube. Outboards are a bit more efficient than inboards, so I'd say get the highest hp motor you can. 

22 hours ago, dn0349 said:

First time I disagree with you Shep, I would still buy Merc as these engines are truly built for marine purposes.  The new GM blocks can't take fresh water cooling because they can't handle the wide range in temp differences water can have.  In the end both are fine as it's the old personal opinion like Chevy vs Ford.

Ha, I'll have to tell the bride I found someone I didn't annoy right away!

I do like the new Merc 4.5L V6, which is essentially an improved and enlarged copy of the previous generation 4.3L GM V6. Facing the throttle body towards the transom for example really helps to reduce air intake noise while cruising. 

For me it comes down to philospy. I believe Mercury opted for a robust but cheaper option (cast iron block). With their expertise, I believe they missed an opportunity to build an all aluminum block with variable valve timing for a reasonable amount of money. I know they screwed up with their old 3.7L POS 4 cylinder back in the late '70's and '80's, but that was a long time ago, and companies now know how to address those faults. Have not seen systemic problems with moden fresh water cooling overall in the last 20 years. Using an all aluminum block and heads does of course require a fresh water cooling system to prevent corrosion issues.

Having said that, going with a direct fuel injection system requires precise control of engine temperature as the fuel to air ratios are rather lean for a marine engine, so the 2 systems go hand in glove.  Result: lighter weight, broader torque curve, superior fuel economy and performance with no down side in reliability. For the variable valve timing, use the correct engine oil, change it at the proper intervals, and change the engine coolant every 7 years or so. Most owners already do this.

Lastly, regarding the H20 hate-on, I think the new 21' in both stern drive and outboard configurations is a great boat; should be noted I have not driven it. I don't know this to be true, but it appears to share the 216 SSi WT hull and I REALLY like that boats ride and handling. The 19' H20 I have driven many times, and find it to be narrower than I like, with a tendency to porpoise when trimmed up at all, therefore I have a less favourable opinion. For anyone who would listen, I would sincerely ask them to consider the 21' H20 instead. Personally think the 21' H20 could easily handle 300 hp with a DP or Bravo 3 option but I guess something has to be left for the SSi line.

I like all Chaparral boats. My first was a 1991 1600SL with a 90 Merc outboard. It was a great little boat. Kinda wish I still had it...

brick

FWIW my 21 H2O just held her own very well on a 4th of July weekend at Lake of the Ozarks, home of the 40ft cruisers and 30' racing catamarans. I knew it was smaller than I would ideally like on that lake but I only go there once maybe twice a year and it's perfect for my everyday Lake.

I must have had 10 different people tell me I was insane for taking a boat that size (not knowing anything about the boat other than loa) and although I may not have been going 50mph I was very impressed.

I find that most any smaller boat. 30' long, or less. With a 8.5 foot beam can usually handle waves & wind.  Chaps in the SSI group have that great high bow and sides.  Reason I bought a second 186 SSI.

If I was looking for a lower cost boat, I would buy the Chap H2O series over any other comparably priced boat. 

brick

Boats have 2 options when it comes to engines.

Buy a standard lowest cost one. Then find out it can not run the boat with lots of people.

Buy a big optional engine.  Always know you can carry any number of people...........This engine comes with a throttle lever to save money on light loads.

To some extent, it is all about perspective as to the H20 vs the other Chaps.  I'd be pleased as punch to have an H20 if I were just getting into boating or just had a limited budget but still wanted a new boat or maybe just don't need the best they offer. Even in their lowest echelon, Chap is superior to a lot of the new junk I see on my lake.  I think many times the differences between the ssi's and the H20's are just considered overkill.  Compared to the old lowest echelon SSE's, these H20's don't 'skimp' as overtly.      

37 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

To some extent, it is all about perspective as to the H20 vs the other Chaps.  I'd be pleased as punch to have an H20 if I were just getting into boating or just had a limited budget but still wanted a new boat or maybe just don't need the best they offer. Even in their lowest echelon, Chap is superior to a lot of the new junk I see on my lake.  I think many times the differences between the ssi's and the H20's are just considered overkill.  Compared to the old lowest echelon SSE's, these H20's don't 'skimp' as overtly.      

That was my experience when I was shopping. Honestly there didn't seem to be a ton of difference between the H2o and the ssi other than some bling. Same warranty, built the same, same hull (at least on the 21ft). 

Honestly? If there were 30 different same sized cleats side by side ?  I could not pick out the most durable or longest lasting. I rely on the companies standards & ethics.

its really not much more deer to go with the 240 or 250 hp.   if you buy the 200hp and decide you need more, then it will cost alot.   You wont her many people say I bought too big of an engine.