Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dbf-boater

2007 Signature 250 Trailer Help

6 posts in this topic

I bought my 2007 Chap Signature 250 last summer.  I love the boat.  It came without a trailer and now I am starting to research trailers.  I will be towing it from Charleston to Seattle next year and decided to tow it myself rather than having it shipped.  I just purchased a 2004 Ford Excursion and will be getting it ready to head west next year.

Now I need some input on the right trailer.  I'm guessing my boat is between 7500 and 8000 lbs.  It has the Arch, the upgraded rear seat lounger, a generator and AC.  Thoughts?

I'm also curious if anyone has the same boat (or close) what type of trailer they have and how it's working out for them. I've been reading up on bunk vs. roller.  

Any input would be appreciated.

5875966_20160803095714292_4_LARGE.jpg

Lots to think about. 

First, the truck. What is it's tow rating? Depending on engine and axle ratio, excursions are rated from 6100 to 11000 lb towing capacity. Check what yours is. 

For the boat, it helps to know the actual weight. Boats tend to weigh more than you expect. Add in fuel and water. What is the height of the arch? Can it fold down? What is your beam? Over 8.5 ft often requires permit. 

Trailer can be steel, galvanized or aluminum. For saltwater, aluminum or galvanized is the preferred choice. Double or triple axle?

Roller vs bunk is always a lively discussion. Where you launch tends to steer you to one or the other. Bunks are less maintenance, but can be harder to launch in shallow conditions. Rollers require regular maintenance.

If you will be trailering regularly, it makes sense to buy a trailer. If it is a one-time-only move, I would ship it. I am sure others here will chime in with other considerations.

brick

Thanks Brick.

I have been doing lots of research on my Excursion.  Using the Ford Truck forum to get input on what mods I can make to improve it's towing. 

I was going to ship the boat but decided to buy the trailer and vehicle here since I plan on towing it around when I get back to Seattle.  I visited Charleston Trailer yesterday.  They build a custom trailer for your boat.  Aluminum with all stainless hardware.  I was impressed with their product.  I am thinking a tandem would be fine for my boat.

I have a 275ssi  and I bought a triple axle Venture trailer. I have had it for two seasons and so far it has been a great trailer. 

I had a 265SSI dry was around 6k, so I figured with fuel and full load easily 8k. 

As for the trailer that large of a boat don't get rollers youll hate yourself trust me,  I have had 29ft boat with bunks easy, my 265 had rollers it was terrible.  If you boat in salt then AL or galvanized is a must, if not then its decision to save some money and go steel, but steel weighs more.  What I can tell you about that excursion is your going to be at the upper limits with a trailer and full load your probably near 10k in total weight, add people in that truck and loaded down, not sure if that's the vehicle that I would trust with safety on a 3k mile trip, just me, locally I wouldn't have a problem with it.

For your boat I would go tandem, get two 5k lb axles youll be fine,  a 25 ft boat doesn't need triples,  just two more wheels, and sets of bearings to worry about.