1naylor

Gps app?

So is there a good, cheap ...or free app for navigating on a boat?

Say I'm in a new lake... and I could add all the different marinas and just hit the one I want to go to.   Or drop a pin on my favorite places to swim.

I use google maps and waze on the road.  What is there for boating?

Thank you!

navionics is the one everybody gets.  There are some free ones but really aren't worth much.

the sea tow app is free isn't bad for what is . 

Yep, Navionics . As mentioned in the other 14 posts asking about GPS Apps. At least the answers are consistent.;)

15 minutes ago, Rip5 said:

Yep, Navionics . As mentioned in the other 14 posts asking about GPS Apps. At least the answers are consistent.;)

You know ...I was sure I would catch #$^%.   I swear I searched first and got no results on "gps"    maybe too many threads hah.    Thanks.   Will check it out.  

2 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

yep, Navionics...stop searching.  You've found it.

Use it on my phone in the ozarks all he time at Night works great.

1 hour ago, Toddler said:

Use it on my phone in the ozarks all he time at Night works great.

Agree.  I use it on the lake and also on our Caribbean trip.  Simply great!

5 hours ago, 1naylor said:

You know ...I was sure I would catch #$^%.   I swear I searched first and got no results on "gps"    maybe too many threads hah.    Thanks.   Will check it out.  

For future reference there is a character minimum on searches (5 I believe) so if you just searched gps you will get zero results. You need to search gps app or similar.  I found this out the hard way when looking for info on H2O.

Navionics is by the best for navigating like a GPS so it is good you bought that. However, if you want something more like Waze for the water that will show people around you try Raft Up.  It also lets you easily drop pins/POIs. It's fairly new and up and coming app however it is not really for navigation.

12 hours ago, Ingalp01 said:

+1 On the Navionics!

http://Boating USA by Navionics https://appsto.re/us/b4MHw.i

This is Navionics "Boat USA" $9.99 after you get through the 15 day free trial. I love it! 

PS... I'm on an iPhone, but they have it for android as well..

I just purchased it as my 15 day trial was up.  Of course, right after I purchase, I fix my chart plotter.  But now I have two screens to keep an eye on.

5 hours ago, Roady68 said:

I just purchased it as my 15 day trial was up.  Of course, right after I purchase, I fix my chart plotter.  But now I have two screens to keep an eye on.

Murphy's Law! LOL...

Got raft up and added a few friends.   Pretty cool.     Arkansas guy made it too...and a Chap owner.    Double cool.   

10 hours ago, BillJohnston said:

Try Wavve Boating, my buddies and I are on it. It's like waze but on the water ...

I am sorry ... wavve is a joke of a nav app. If you wan to to have a meetup in the safe but poorly defined waters get the wavve app ... it's an infotainment and ActiveCaptain wannabe (sort of). Beside the simplistic and interpreted view of the charts, the source of the charts and their currency is unknown.

If you want serious info about waters you are in, get a chartplotters with charts from reputable sources like Garmin or Navionics, or the nav app like Navionics or AquaMap for your idevice, and ActiveCaptain for local knowledge.

BTW, nice try at subversive advertising aka spam.