Palves

Prop for 2004 190SSI

4 posts in this topic

I just bought my first boat and went with a 2004 chaparral 190SSI w/ 4.3L merc engine.  Always loved the look of the chaparral and I've always heard great things about the construction of them.  The prop that came on it is a bit damaged and the previous owner gave me a couple other props, but I am not quite sure how to select the most appropriate one.  I'll be boating mainly in lake erie and lake huron, on average 4 people on-board and potentially pulling a tube.

Can anyone suggest a good source for selecting the right prop to use?

If you wish to go with an aluminum prop, than I recommend the new Mercury SpitFire or Quicksilver Nemesis series 4 blade prop.

If you wish to go with a stainless prop for even better performance and holding, than I would go with a 4 blade Vensura, etc. Revolution 4 might be too aggressive for your engine.

Older Mercury Alpha4 and Diamond4 props were good too. Worked better on that hull than the standard 3 black Black Max.

I can't recall the pitch for that engine and boat. Others on the forum with the same boat and engine should be able to give you that. Correct RPM range is 4400-4800 at wide open throttle with average load.

Have fun with the boat!

Thanks.  Is there a good website or source for selecting the right prop?  I wonder if one of the other two props I have would be more appropriate.

If you have an aluminum prop on the boat now, and you wanted to stay with aluminum, than I would go with the same pitch of Mercury SpifFire.

Regarding the spare props, all you can do is test for yourself. Find propping is equal parts art and science, but only testing tells you anything for sure.