TexasPilot71

Boat House Fire on Lake Texoma!

33 posts in this topic

"We had just got done cleaning a few boats, and basically a guy came running out of a boat kind of adjacent to us saying he needed a fire extinguisher," said witness Jaime Mason. "Couldn't find one, and it wasn't too much longer when the boat just went up in flames."

Why not have extinguishers every few columns on covered slips?

Not to mention why didn't every boat in sight not have one easily accessible. No time to ask permission to board, especially if there is a possibility there won't be anything to board in the very near future.

I hope the owner of the boat where the fire started has a lot of liability insurance coverage, like several million limits.

3 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

I hope the owner of the boat where the fire started has a lot of liability insurance coverage, like several million limits.

That  poor guy is likely too never be able to cover all of the damage

20 minutes ago, Auggie said:

That  poor guy is likely too never be able to cover all of the damage

Let's hope the owners of the vessels have insurance.  Without insurance, there is little recourse for the boat owners.  Hopefully the marina has enough insurance to rebuild the marina lost in the fire.

1 hour ago, Toddavid said:

Why not have extinguishers every few columns on covered slips?

Not to mention why didn't every boat in sight not have one easily accessible. 

That's something I'm going to look at next time I'm at the dock.  If not, I know the manager and I'm confident he will comply with a request to do so.  

And yes, the boat owner should have had one accessible on his own boat.  

Our docks have extinguishers on each end, and they are inspected annually, check your dock for extinguishers and check inspection date as well as charge indicator.

This gets tricky with insurance.  I once had a car get flooded at an auto repair shop.  Shop owner only had x amount of coverage but had 2x amount of damage.   I was left with taking a percentage of the value of my vehicle or filing a claim with my insurance company.   I opted to take the percentage.   I never got made whole by the shop owner for the amount his insurance didn't cover.   I assume something like this will play out in this scenario.  I may be wrong and this was years ago, but I'm pretty sure by taking the percentage amount I waived my right to sue for the difference.

I was surprised to learn that the shop owner was deemed the one liable, it wasn't his fault there was a flood.  I initially assumed I'd be left on my own with my insurance company.

I know we have a few insurance professionals on this forum, it would be interesting to hear from them on how this works.

Our marina has extinguishers every 6 slips. Never thought to check to see if they were inspected.

When you sign a lease for the slip part of the deal is that marina is not responsible for your boat. All those boat owner will have to have their insurance company cover their boats.

Lost a boat when a micro burst flipped the dock in my marina. My insurance had to step up. The marina's insurance took care of the dock.

I feel sorry for all those owners that have lost their boats. It is a sick feeling. 

4 minutes ago, mpm330 said:

When you sign a lease for the slip part of the deal is that marina is not responsible for your boat. All those boat owner will have to have their insurance company cover their boats.

I wonder if the boat owner that had the initial fire is liable or is everyone on their own in this case?

12 minutes ago, crvtt771 said:

I wonder if the boat owner that had the initial fire is liable or is everyone on their own in this case?

Slipholders are are there own insurance, the slipholders insurance companies may try to recover from parties especially if there was negligence involved with event.

1 hour ago, crvtt771 said:

He would be if he was found to be negligent in causing the fire. Each individual boat insurance carrier will probably settle up with their policyholder then go after the one who caused the fire for reimbursement. The at fault owner could then be personally liable for anything in excess of his liability coverage.  I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. Don't skimp on your liability coverage, it's relatively cheap.

A BUSINESS TAKES MONEY & IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANYTHIMG ?   EVEN IF THE ROOF FALLS ONTO BOATS ?

You run a business for money in N J.  You are liable. A sign or saying no . Means no defence .

Regarding insurance, this one may get a bit tricky.  I've read (from somebody whose boat was lost at that dock, but whom I do not personally know) that a third party mechanic was pumping out old gas from a boat's fuel tank at the dock.  Apparently this is the guy who came out of the boat looking for a fire extinguisher.  Again, all hearsay at this point, but if indeed it was a third party....hmmm.

I've seen the photos all over FB of this.  Scariest boat/marina fire I've ever seen.  That is just crazy!!  I have a brand new boater in the slip next to me this year.  He has absolutely zero knowledge of boating.  I made it a point to have a conversation with him about safety and using the blower.  I help him and give advice any time I can.  Last thing I need is him to blow himself and me up!!

On a lighter note.... at minute 1:47 Fiberglass and Gasoline were contributing factors in the fire.  Thanks, that cleared it up all my questions. "Tell the fire marshal to turn around we got this." 

If they were pumping gas out of a boat then they will probably be found negligent. That is something that should not be done in a marina dock house. Where I am at they do not even allow you to bring gas cans onto the docks. Doing so will cause them to cancel your lease. 

I too read that a mechanic was working on the boat that initially caught fire.  But this is the first I heard of what he was doing.

Gasoline on occupied docks with charcoal grills ??

Somebody is grilling dock # 3.    FIRE FIRE

Charcoal grill on a wood dock I would hope not. They are not allowed in the marina. 

Some of the pictures on FB show two towboat US boats pulling a cruiser out before the fire got it. I think it was the only boat that was saved, way to go guys.

Fire is the #1 risk on a boat. To not be prepared and educated is negligent, He will pay.

How you have a boat without a fire extinguisher is beyond me.  And its nothing to have one handy while working.  We have three on our boat.  A small one in the galley, small one under helm seat and a large one in the storage cabinet under the sink up on deck.  I also have one in the truck and in my car.  The list of safety gear on a boat is pretty minimal, not sure why a boat owner shouldn't have those items.