TexasPilot71

Boat House Fire on Lake Texoma!

33 posts in this topic

being relatively new and seeing the damage and all that I've had one fire extinguisher on every boat that I've ever owned and I can assure you I am getting at least one more in possibly two because I can't see how one small fire extinguisher is going to put out much of anything

1 hour ago, Auggie said:

being relatively new and seeing the damage and all that I've had one fire extinguisher on every boat that I've ever owned and I can assure you I am getting at least one more in possibly two because I can't see how one small fire extinguisher is going to put out much of anything

I think if you need two fire extinguishers for a fire, you'd better just abandon ship.  I believe the idea is an extinguisher should be available to put out a very (VERY) small fire before it grows into something bigger.  The boat fire videos I've seen shows just how fast they go up.  There's really not time to empty two extinguishers.  That said, multiple extinguishers is a must simply so that one is within easy reach no matter where you are.  We have a built-in system in the engine room, a handheld extinguisher at the helm, one in the galley, and two still in boxes in the aft cabin (purchased because our survey indicated we had none...but found out later we had two).

43 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I think if you need two fire extinguishers for a fire, you'd better just abandon ship.  I believe the idea is an extinguisher should be available to put out a very (VERY) small fire before it grows into something bigger.  The boat fire videos I've seen shows just how fast they go up.  There's really not time to empty two extinguishers.  That said, multiple extinguishers is a must simply so that one is within easy reach no matter where you are.  We have a built-in system in the engine room, a handheld extinguisher at the helm, one in the galley, and two still in boxes in the aft cabin (purchased because our survey indicated we had none...but found out later we had two).

yup, with all the fuel burning plastics, oil and chemicals if you cant put it out with one, your better off getting off.  Agreed. 

Either way, the initial boat on fire should have been immediately set adrift so as to contain the fire to just it.  Of course I have the Benefit of hindsight.  I'm sure it would have been a hard decision to set the boat free.

2 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

Either way, the initial boat on fire should have been immediately set adrift so as to contain the fire to just it.  Of course I have the Benefit of hindsight.  I'm sure it would have been a hard decision to set the boat free.

That's an excellent point.  When we had the fire on our dock, that was the first course of action.  They saved the entire dock and potentially the whole marina!

Interesting incident report:

"Sheriff's Department Incident Report that states an individual was working on one of the boats on Boathouse "U" trying to remove the water from the gas tank when the ground clamp from the electric pump fell from where it was grounded and arced on metal causing a spark and igniting the fumes. The individual was not an employee of Highport Marina, nor working for or at the direction of Highport Marina, but rather was working for an individual slip tenant on Boathouse "U". "

Thanks for the update. 

Boats typically do not catch fire, they explode. Rarely is a fire extinguisher useful.