1naylor

Flame arrestor - oil it?

10 posts in this topic

2002 186 ssi 5.o mercruiser.   Do i just clean the breather or does it need oil or is it a thing i need to replace?  Ty

HOW COULD DIRT GET INTO A BOAT Flame ARRESTOR  ?  My 2002  5.0L has never got dirty. It sits in water May to October.

Well it is black as #$^% so I wondered if it was supposed to be oiled.     If so I would expect to se red or pink at least.    

Just changed the gear oil today and lut on a new prop.    I was checking fluids and happened to notice it.    Thought I would ask.   

Belt dust or engine compartment insulation. I've had to clean a flame arrestee because the egg crate insulation was breaking down and getting sucked to the arrestor.

If it is really fine dust. Like black flour ? Then Doctur is right.

What is not good is a belt wearing that fast. Check or have checked carefully how parallel each pulley surface is to each other. Check the belt tension also.

Also look & feel the ribbed side for cracks & pieces breaking off. If going ? Replace it now

On 7/22/2017 at 10:51 AM, 1naylor said:

2002 186 ssi 5.o mercruiser.   Do i just clean the breather or does it need oil or is it a thing i need to replace?  Ty

Hot soapy water, and no oil, at the end of every season, it is a maintenance item.  Denny.

^^^ #1. What Denny said.

I use brake cleaner or carb cleaner (carb cleaner does leave a residue though) to get any crud off mine. Blow out with air, or wash with soapy water afterwards and let air dry before re-installing.

No oil afterwards. This isn't a K&N cotton filter, though K&N does make USCG approved flame arrestors for boats.

On 7/24/2017 at 1:09 AM, Pops said:

^^^ #1. What Denny said.

I use brake cleaner or carb cleaner (carb cleaner does leave a residue though) to get any crud off mine. Blow out with air, or wash with soapy water afterwards and let air dry before re-installing.

No oil afterwards. This isn't a K&N cotton filter, though K&N does make USCG approved flame arrestors for boats.

+1