wijeff

I am Thinking about powered trim tabs 235ssi

12 posts in this topic

2006 235ssi  5.0vp duo prop top speed 48 on speedo

Just looking for information about them.  School me on trim tabs . 

Also adding a extended swim platform 

I have not found the need for tabs on our 235ssi. The amount of times I would use them, does not justify

the expense for our style of boating. They do help, if you need it in getting on plane, leveling your load, etc.

1 hour ago, Rip5 said:

I have not found the need for tabs on our 235ssi. The amount of times I would use them, does not justify

the expense for our style of boating. They do help, if you need it in getting on plane, leveling your load, etc.

For me and my style, I could not boat without them, have never gone out without using them.

IMG_3759_zpsdcxdu9oz.jpg

I've got the 7.4L, and it doesn't exactly hop up on a plane, so I'd imagine with a 5.0L, you might need a little help.

You might want to look into the new zipwake system instead of traditional tabs.  I haven't used it yet, but it's making a big splash (no pun intended) in the industry.

http://www.imtra.com/zipwake.htm

Another thought; it sounds like you might be overpropped.  What RPM are you hitting at WOT?  48mph is pretty fast for that boat with a 5.0L, which is good.  I don't go much faster than that with the big block.  But if it comes at the expense of acceleration and your primary activity on the boat is wakeboarding (which I'm gathering based on the desire for the extended swim platform), then it's not doing you any good.  You might be happier with a lower-pitch prop.

I have factory f5 duo prop rpm is about  4400 -4800 it's my first real boat of size the swim platform is added to prevent bumping in to the out drive or prop . We like to swim or to hang out at local sandbar . Seams to pop up on plane fine to me . I  would like help in lake michigan with 3 foot waves the waves don't roll one direction it is like a x pattern chop.  wouldn't tabs help with bow slap In this . My ideal speed is 25 in this chop just all over the place trying to stay on top of waves to prevent bow pounding and bow rides high rather than splitting the wave it seams to ride over and drop . I guess I can't cut like a go fast fountain plain and simple. 

6 hours ago, GHMariner said:

I've got the 7.4L, and it doesn't exactly hop up on a plane, so I'd imagine with a 5.0L, you might need a little help.

You might want to look into the new zipwake system instead of traditional tabs.  I haven't used it yet, but it's making a big splash (no pun intended) in the industry.

http://www.imtra.com/zipwake.htm

Thanks for the info, very interesting. What I like about the conventional tabs, is they add length to the boat

14 hours ago, wijeff said:

I have factory f5 duo prop rpm is about  4400 -4800 it's my first real boat of size the swim platform is added to prevent bumping in to the out drive or prop . We like to swim or to hang out at local sandbar . Seams to pop up on plane fine to me . I  would like help in lake michigan with 3 foot waves the waves don't roll one direction it is like a x pattern chop.  wouldn't tabs help with bow slap In this . My ideal speed is 25 in this chop just all over the place trying to stay on top of waves to prevent bow pounding and bow rides high rather than splitting the wave it seams to ride over and drop . I guess I can't cut like a go fast fountain plain and simple. 

We boat every weekend on Lake Michigan. Our boats handle most conditions pretty well. Tabs would lower the bow, but the hull is just not ideal

for the type conditions we encounter. Tabs won't "fix it" 100%, but they will help you plow through the waves, at the expense of some spray.

We had a 28 footer with tabs, and a 31 footer with tabs. At times, even the bigger boats just were not real comfortable on LM when it gets choppy.

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Denny said:

For me and my style, I could not boat without them, have never gone out without using them.

IMG_3759_zpsdcxdu9oz.jpg

Where did you buy your trim tabs from .?

40 minutes ago, wijeff said:

Where did you buy your trim tabs from .?

They are Bennett's

I installed Lenco electric actuated tabs on my 246 about 3 years ago. It was the best mod to a boat I've ever done.