Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cool Change 1

Cool Change II

14 posts in this topic

Just took delivery on my new (to me) 2006 Signature 350 today. I purchased it in Florida and had it hauled to Table Rock Lake in Missouri. We wet launched her and as she floated off of the trailer I had absolutely no power to the engines. The boat was surveyed and sea trialed and passed with flying colors. It's equipped with the three battery arrangement with port, starboard, and house batteries. I switched on both the port and starboard batteries and nothing. After several hours of (had to tow to my slip) hooked up to shore power with battery charger on, still nothing. No blower, no instruments, no outdrive trim. Zip.The toggle switch at the helm is switched to the run position. I feel like I'm missing something here. Any help greatly appreciated.

Strange that you have not tried the engines on muffs while still on the hard, nor when she was with wet legs but still on trailer/lift.

Anyhow, have you checked if the batteries were disconnected for travel and connected back later? Have you commissioned someone to do the boat prep and/or done any inspection yourself before the launch?

No Richard and yes I am an idiot. I had my family with me today and it was a total cluster. I just find it hard to believe that all the batteries are dead except the house battery. It's been a well kept boat and the battery switches and all breakers were switched off when I boarded. Something weird here.

Not sure I follow ... why do you say house battery is not dead since the blowers do not work? Is anything else that runs off 12Vdc working?

Also not sure if you have visually inspected the batteries and main battery cables and connections inside the engine compartment. If the engine cover lift is not working, connect battery booster pack to the emergency terminals that are somewhere in the trunks of the engine cover, switch all battery switches on including parallel switch (or whatever the instructions in boat owner manual say) and lift the engine cover to examine the situation inside the engine compartment. While there checking the batteries, cables and connections, look for and examine other things around the engine ... disconnected hoses, water/oil in the bilge, fluid levels, etc.

7 hours ago, Cool Change 1 said:

Just took delivery on my new (to me) 2006 Signature 350 today. I purchased it in Florida and had it hauled to Table Rock Lake in Missouri. We wet launched her and as she floated off of the trailer I had absolutely no power to the engines. The boat was surveyed and sea trialed and passed with flying colors. It's equipped with the three battery arrangement with port, starboard, and house batteries. I switched on both the port and starboard batteries and nothing. After several hours of (had to tow to my slip) hooked up to shore power with battery charger on, still nothing. No blower, no instruments, no outdrive trim. Zip.The toggle switch at the helm is switched to the run position. I feel like I'm missing something here. Any help greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the new boat. Once you get the hatch open, chasing electrical gremlins can be frustrating, at the least. I usually start using the 12V test light and it makes everything so much easier and it can tell you almost as much as a meter.

PS: Name on my boat is "Cool Change" and has been since long before I bought her.

Could be as simple as the ground cable was disconnected for shipping. Have you asked the seller, surveyor or shipper if anything was done to the electrical system prior to shipping?

if you are new to boating, or new to boats the size of your new 350, consider finding a local delivery captain to explain how everything runs on your boat. It can be a good investment for a newbie or someone stepping up to a cruiser. 

brick

I think the issue is with the battery selector switches. They're hot on the input side and nothing out. I though it was kind of odd when I first  turned them on. There was absolutely no tension in them. They just kind of spin freely. Can anyone comment on that?

20 minutes ago, Cool Change 1 said:

I think the issue is with the battery selector switches. They're hot on the input side and nothing out. I though it was kind of odd when I first  turned them on. There was absolutely no tension in them. They just kind of spin freely. Can anyone comment on that?

That sounds like your problem. There should be a definitive click with tension felt  as you pass the dial around the gage. I`d look into replacing those switches.

It sounds as if someone turned them hard the wrong direction. I have had two of them fail, the knob just came off. I found them on Amazon. Mine are BEP panel mount battery switches. 

https://www.amazon.com/BEP-701-Battery-Switches-On-Off/dp/B018WS4VPQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501253658&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=bep%2Bpanel%2Bmount%2Bbattery%2Bswitches&th=1

I would verify the bilge pumps are hard wired and the float switches work first off then address the switches.

I think the issue is with the battery selector switches. They're hot on the input side and nothing out. I though it was kind odd when I first  turned them on. There was absolutely no tension in them.

Good advice Phillbo and they are and do. I'll change out the switches next Wednesday or Thursday and report to the crowd. That's got to be it right? By the way I love the TJ quote. Couldn't agree more. Tax the rich (not that I'm rich) and feed the poor doesn't work.

Did you check the main breakers and stuff on the panel etc. Is tether switch pulled out or fall out? You can manually power boat with to battery terminals on back hatch in my 330 with a remote battery box. See if that does anything. Sounds like its just off. 

Here's the update I promised on this. Replaced all four of the battery switches and problem solved. It's very strange they would all fail at once. It's almost like someone deliberately sabotaged them. Thanks for everyone's input! Much appreciated.

6 hours ago, Cool Change 1 said:

Here's the update I promised on this. Replaced all four of the battery switches and problem solved. It's very strange they would all fail at once. It's almost like someone deliberately sabotaged them. Thanks for everyone's input! Much appreciated.

Glad to,hear you are on your way. Enjoy!