heyme

Fresh water tank issue

I just bought my third Chaparral. This time a 2008 244 Sunesta Extreme. The boat is great, just one problem. The manual shows that the fresh water tank holds 10 gallons. I think I have a problem. If my tank holds 10 gallons I am crazy. I have a vaccum assist toilet and one flush and the water tank is empty. At least no more water out of any faucet. I refill the tank and it hardly accepts new water. My question? Has anybody ever had something similar to this? Is there something that could be blocking normal water quantity? Does anybody know if there is access to visually inspect the tank? Thanks to all

I need to add water pressure pump works as advertised 

Edited by heyme
To clarify the problem

It sounds like you have an air pocket blocking water from filling.

Take a piece of hose stick down your fill cap (dont let it drop) and blow hard.

Then get out of the way as it should erupt.

Sometimes this happens to me and after I do this I am able to fill up the tank. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:39 AM, jeffk said:

It sounds like you have an air pocket blocking water from filling.

Take a piece of hose stick down your fill cap (dont let it drop) and blow hard.

Then get out of the way as it should erupt.

Sometimes this happens to me and after I do this I am able to fill up the tank. 

Looked in ski locker yesterday and sure enough there is the tank just under the left front facing seat. Yes it is only a quarter full. I will try the hose trick today. Do you think I should open all the faucets while doing that as well?

Looked in ski locker yesterday and sure enough there is the tank just under the left front facing seat. Yes it is only a quarter full. I will try the hose trick today. Do you think I should open all the faucets while doing that as well?

You probably have water trapped in you air vent line that shares the same port as the fill tube. Common problem. When you fill the tank insert your water hose down in the fill hose a good foot or so and only use a moderate flow of water. This should fill the tank and force any water trapped in the "vent tube" to come out. Visually check the tank for water level in the ski locker.

I wonder if the fresh water tank vent was installed?  Perhaps it was not and water can not go in if air does not come out.

Hey People, somewhat a success. I think CHAP243 hit it on the head. I don't have a water hose that fits all the way down into the tank. I have a fresh water hose that has a female and a male end. I did not want to cut the end off, however if I would have cut it it would have worked. So what I did is add a piece off hose to the end and shoved it all the way down into the tank and Voila the tank is full. MontreAl was right too, I think Chaparral thought this will work without a vent. I looked everywhere, there is no vent. At least not just for the water. It is all through the faucets. That is the only vent on this 10 gallon water tank. If the tank is full it just comes back out the fill hole It is like force feeding a chick bird. You have to shove the hose way down and it works. It is full now and we finally have fresh water. I will keep a spare piece of hose to fill the tank from now on or just cut the end of the male side so it goes down into the tank. I could not have done it with all your comments and ideas. It lead me down the righteous path and I want to thank you all.

Oh by the way now my right trim tab failed. Argh..........it goes down but not back up. I think now I need to buy a new actuator. I am sure they come only in pairs. Power is good. I think it is just worn out. Ahh we all know what BOAT stands for anyway. Everybody take care, had a wonderful day on the lake just a bit warmish at 110 degrees air temperature. But the water was great at about 90. Very refreshing. That is a joke. We had to go just below the #%^$&%$ (Hoover) that is and we got some nice cold H2O!!!

Just to add jeffk was absolutely spot on. Get a hose and put it way down, and yes it kind of erupts!! As advertised thanks jeffk.

Must have misspelled Hoover Dam to #%^$&%$. it spelled checked me sorry everybody

Give Lenco a call. They'll sell you a new (single) actuator. It's an easy fix, but you'll need some 5200 to seal the wiring.

I've been on every lake in Az except Mohave. I was not aware you could get all the way up to the dam. Where do you put in and are there beaches you can anchor on overnight? I might be interested in exploring the lake a bit when the blow dryer gets turned off (and it gets cold on Powell). 

e Xtreme. Thanks for the info I will call the next week. I thought the wire to the actuator is just held in place with a plastic nut and an O ring. You are saying that I will have to run a new wire through the transom? That's why the 5200? Or where it attaches to the actuator? Either way I can do it just wondering.

There's a disconnect inside the hull.  You'll detach the old actuator and pull the wiring through a 1/2" (or so) hole in the transom.  You'll attach the replacement actuator and feed the new wires through the hole -- and it's that hole you'll fill liberally with 5200.

Budget a couple of hours for the work and a few days to let the 5200 set up prior to using the boat.

just an update..Lenco is just laughing at me, my boat is 8 years old and the actuator was replaced 4 years ago. Lenco said Oh Well! It is out of warranty (3 years) and you just need to buy a new one. Shame on Lenco. Horrible customer service and I wish there is another company. Maybe they would feel differently! 

53 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

How long do you expect them to warranty the actuator?

17 minutes ago, heyme said:

What your point

Things break or wear out; some times you just need to step up. And quit whinning.

23 minutes ago, heyme said:

What your point

It's 4 years out of warranty. Do you expect them to provide a free replacement?

Nope you guys are wrong, the boat is 8 years old the actuator was replaced about 4 years ago so about 7.5 months out of warranty. Warranty on their junk is 3 years. I am not whining but stating the fact that they are not standing behind their product. Just let it rest....toddler maybe next time read the entire thread!

Still confused... Warranty is 3 years. Your parts are 4 years old and you are upset that they did not give you free parts?

I had one of LENCO actuators starting to take water in the 4th year as well. It was still working thru the season but a bit slower than the other one. The following spring I have replaced both actuators and it was three seasons ago ... fingers crossed. LENCO seems to changed the internals a bit to make them more waterproof, and I wanted both actuators to be of the same new model/design.

Yes, you will need to thread the cable from outside in ... do not even try to undo the waterproof nut and gasket on the actuator itself. I have used 3M 4000 as I wanted some minute but lasting flexibility around the cable. The actuator is done when the protective jacket around the cable cracks and water finds its way in. The small loop the cable forms going from the hull to the actuator flattens and curves a bit whenever the actuator changes its angle while extending and contracting. Make sure you leave just enough slack, but not too much.

The 3 year warranty is not that bad ... the leaking actuator was a bad design, it should have lasted more than three years.