Garet Jax

Is 488 Hours too much on a 1-2 year old boat?

52 posts in this topic

I am looking at a used 2016 Chaparral Suncoast with 488 hours on the engine.  Is that too much - should I be worried?  I think it is better to be used that to sit around not being used, but this has been used a lot!

Well with hours like that it was not in the shop!

One year I put 235 hours on the boat.....that does not include being on the anchor.

This was back when I was in  NY, so it was even a short season.

Now in Fl I average about 100 hours a year.

I dont have to go far  for a nice anchorage

I average about 120 hours a year on mine. Boating on Lake Powell means a lot of hours to get up lake and find a camp sight as well as exploring the canyons along the way.

My boat is 14 years old and has 640 hours.

If the boat is in good shape and the engine passes a survey by a qualified mechanic I would not be too concerned about the hours.

I would expect the sellers price to bear a discount for the "above average" hours of use.

I have a buddy that added over 200 hours to his meter because he left it on the trailer with the key on for over a week.

7 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

I have a buddy that added over 200 hours to his meter because he left it on the trailer with the key on for over a week.

Oooops.. That has to suck for him.

As long as you're getting a nice discount for that many hours, I'd be ok with it.  If it's priced within the ballpark of other boats with lower hours, I wouldn't touch it.  That boat is an outboard and they seem to be easier to repower than an I/O.   It also depends on how much you plan on using it and how long you plan on keeping it.  If you'll only use it a few years and put 20-30 hours a year on it, it's going to be tough to resell.  At least it would be in my area where most boats seem to average 30 hours per year.

12 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

I would expect the sellers price to bear a discount for the "above average" hours of use.

Yeah me too.  The amount of the discount is what we are discussing right now.

20 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Hmm.  So the hours clock increases if you're anchored and the engine isn't running?  Is there any way to tell the true number of hours the engines has been used?

9 minutes ago, Garet Jax said:

Hmm.  So the hours clock increases if you're anchored and the engine isn't running?  Is there any way to tell the true number of hours the engines has been used?

the engine will tell you on newer boats.  I didn't think leaving the key on would count it?

Either way I would buy it but the discount would have to be applied, for me it would be logical that boat should be priced at maybe what a 4-5 year old boat would be.

.  use is a big factor for maint and stuff breaking, time matters as well as in how old. 

I would prefer a boat that has been used a lot instead of a boat that just sat. My experience has been when my boat sat for a couple of months, bad things happened, so when I wasn't able to use the boat for an extended amount of time, I would start the boat,, run the generator and A/C for a half hour every two to three weeks.

I'm not a typical example but I have 113 hours on its 8th season in SW PA/WV. It's used regularly during the boating season so it's not from sitting for prolonged periods.   We just spend the vast majority of the time anchored and swimming.  As my daughter is getting older she is getting more into tubing and such which will start putting more hours on the meter.  Sounds like it could be a rental. 

14 minutes ago, bhutch said:

Sounds like it could be a rental. 

Not really a rental - but effectively the same thing.  It is a boat used at an "exclusive" club with members.  Only members can use the boat.

That's a boat club rental...the hours make sense now.  It's all about the price.  My 02 is just clicking 380 hours which to me is high for my region.  How is the vinyl holding up on that boat?  Interesting test case to see what I can imagine is a rougher treatment than if it was your own boat.  

Engine is a runout at this time - there are better options with less headache on the market!

More hours than my 2003. Boat club? May as well be a rental as it was probably treated the same way by the users.

Yeah, the boat club aspects would sink the deal for me. Unless it's dirt cheap and has no major issues.

3 hours ago, Weekend At Bernie's said:

I would prefer a boat that has been used a lot instead of a boat that just sat. My experience has been when my boat sat for a couple of months, bad things happened, so when I wasn't able to use the boat for an extended amount of time, I would start the boat,, run the generator and A/C for a half hour every two to three weeks.

All boats up here sit for 6 months every year and are fine.  Sitting isn't necessarily bad as long as it has been properly stored.

1 hour ago, tomnjo said:

More hours than my 2003. Boat club? May as well be a rental as it was probably treated the same way by the users.

+1.  

I love renting cars and really working the auto stick/manual shift function.  Really beat the heck out of them when I can.  I never use that manual shift function on my own cars though.  

16 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I love renting cars and really working the auto stick/manual shift function.  Really beat the heck out of them when I can.  I never use that manual shift function on my own cars though.  

+1.  Ask my how I know the top speed of a 2017 dodge ram in 4 low is 42 mph.  

The only boat club boats i've seen for sale in my state recently were a group of Sea Ray Bowriders being sold at the same time and they were completely beat up...like every dock they ever encountered took a chip out of the gel everywhere.  They had a couple thousand hours on each of them if I recall.  They were going so cheaply the CL ad had to say something like this isn't spam in the header.  Interesting this boat is going so soon.  

9 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

The only boat club boats i've seen for sale in my state recently were a group of Sea Ray Bowriders being sold at the same time and they were completely beat up...like every dock they ever encountered took a chip out of the gel everywhere.  They had a couple thousand hours on each of them if I recall.  They were going so cheaply the CL ad had to say something like this isn't spam in the header.  Interesting this boat is going so soon.  

good point.  but some clubs probably advertise a better newer fleet and attract and keep customers that way.  Also if they bought in bulk they got a deal and im sure made their money on the use and now are trying to make money while the getting is good on a newer boat.