BryanGHead

Trim gauge not working

12 posts in this topic

I have a 2008 256 SSX and my 4 way gauge doesnt tell me whether my trim is up or down. Not a big issue but it bothers me it doesn't work correctly.  I was thinking it might be the UP and DOWN relays BUT something is telling me it's not and I wanted to get some opinions before I go and spend $20.  Please, advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Bryan

If the relays are out, the drive trim would not work. Since it does (assumption?), the problem is most likely with either the gauge or trim position sensor (aka trim sender) or its wiring.

Others might have better and more info if you provide brand and model names of your engine and drive.

Trim gages are notorious for not working, on both makes of outdrives. You might run some basic electrical continuity tests to see if it is the sender, gage or wiring in between. You could replace the sender today and it might go bad  again by next year. I`ve gone to a timed system on mine, where I time the travel of the unit from full up to full down. I then mentally keep track of the time in seconds when running to "kind of" know which position my drive is in.

11 hours ago, BryanGHead said:

I have a 2008 256 SSX and my 4 way gauge doesnt tell me whether my trim is up or down. Not a big issue but it bothers me it doesn't work correctly.  I was thinking it might be the UP and DOWN relays BUT something is telling me it's not and I wanted to get some opinions before I go and spend $20.  Please, advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Bryan

As yours is a 2008 with Smartcraft, you have a retro-fit kit available if it's a Merc. The right hand sender puck (starboard side) gets replaced with a simple plastic cover and the two wire analog trim position sensor gets trashed. Then, the port side 3 wire digital trim limit/trim position sender gets replaced, and wires reconnected to the digital trim 3 wire harness located just above the transom plate inboard. The sender can be replaced without removing the out-drive but it takes some patience and a 1/4" drive universal and a 7/16" socket to get the wire harness retaining clamp on and off. Take your time and make sure the tapered harness sealing plug is nested properly into the transom plate or it will leak water into your ride. After installation, you do a trim calibration by following the prompts on the Smartcraft display. See Merc part number below.  Just over 100 beans on Amazon.   W

Mercury OEM Trim Sender Sensor Assembly 863187A1 Smartcraft

common issue on boats.  Got to the point where I don't bother with it anymore. By sound and feel I generally have an idea where the drive is.

Very common problem on the out drive. I have had the senders replaced on both drives. 

1 hour ago, mpm330 said:

Very common problem on the out drive. I have had the senders replaced on both drives. 

The digital sender are better, just tell your boat yard to stay away from them with the power-washer. The 3 wire units are sealed better than the old two wire analog units.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

common issue on boats.  Got to the point where I don't bother with it anymore. By sound and feel I generally have an idea where the drive is.

same here. trim and speedo are gauges I pay little attention too. 

37 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

same here. trim and speedo are gauges I pay little attention too. 

Mine are out too.  My starboard was working, port wasn't at the beginning of the season.  Now neither work.  I do the listen and count.  Hard part is that I have two, so I worry if they are different.  I'll sometimes stop and take a look over the swim platform to make sure they are even.  I've added it to the list for next winter repair, but don't hold out hope they will last long.

My gauge is whacked out. All over the place. I base my drive position on sight,  feel and the speedometer.  My reference point for sight is the bow. If the bow is bouncing up and down too much....I lower the drive until the bow stops bouncing.  If the boat feels like its pushing through the water like a barge I raise the drive and watch the bow rise and then confirm the increase in speed. Then I tweak it and watch the speedometer.

The only time I actually look at the drives position is launching and retrieving and when entering a very shallow area.

On previous boats I didn't worry to much when the trim sensor went out. I would just trim by feel. With the current boat and smart gauge it throws an error on which ever out drive has the problem. It doesn't cause any problem with performance, but the blinking red lights are a bother.