Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oublaj

What does a bad gimbal bearing sound like

13 posts in this topic

I'm new to boating. Have a 2003 180ss with mercruiser. Hardly used and stored the last two years. Ran for an hour. Now makes horrible squealing when given throttle while in neutral. Not while in gear and no turning of the wheel. Gets louder with throttle. Not the fan belt. Suspect gimbal  bearing but don't know what that sounds like. Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

Could be an idler pulley going bad. Can you isolate the location of the squeal? Front of engine, rear of engine etc....

Shoot some grease in the gimbel bearing zert fitting and see if the noise frequency changes.

Only heard two them that went bad and sounded like grinding up a bag of rocks. If your drive has zerk fitting on the side of it, I would try the grease thing as Wingnut suggested. Don't know if the 2003 Alphas (assuming yours is an Alpha) had a greasable  gimbal bearing or not. My 92 Bravo does not.

I would think your squeal would be present in gear or out of gear if it were the gimbal. It`s spinning wither in gear or not. I would bet it`s something on the front of the engine, a belt or pulley.

I've just been through this.  Mine sounded like a heavy, scratchy dragging sound.  Kind of like if you were dragging a heavy metal object across concrete.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:53 AM, soldier4402 said:

gimbal wouldn't move in N.  Gimbal will growl specially when turning.

Why would the gimbel not move in neutral?