Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TexasPilot71

SmartCraft display freezing

9 posts in this topic

I've had a few instances (several really) where everything is fine then the display under the tachometer sorta "freezes". I typically have that display showing depth. Basically, it either freezes on whatever value is indicating or it goes to zero and freezes there. If I page up or down, each of the other pages data is frozen as well. The tachometer and speedometer continue to operate normally.

Until today, I've had to shut the ignition off and restart, but I learned a little trick today. I simply press both the up and down arrows simultaneously until the system goes into a programming mode. I then go to the exit page and select exit. The system "reboots" and even the unaffected tachometer goes to zero then to the correct value and the digital display starts working correctly. 

Any thoughts on what causes this and how to prevent it?

Are you talking about Garmin chartplotter or multi function display? If so, my Garmin had similar freezing fits a few years back when I upgraded to latest charts and the old firmware was not liking it. FWIW, check if your Garmin is on the latest firmware.

1 hour ago, Richard W said:

Are you talking about Garmin chartplotter or multi function display? If so, my Garmin had similar freezing fits a few years back when I upgraded to latest charts and the old firmware was not liking it. FWIW, check if your Garmin is on the latest firmware.

Nope. The display beneath the tach. Mercruiser Smartcraft. 

8 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Nope. The display beneath the tach. Mercruiser Smartcraft. 

You will most likely need to replace the Chaparral square digital tachometer (boss gauge). Experiencing an internal problem with the gauge; will only get worse I'm afraid.

I honestly can't recall if your 250 Sig takes the larger 5" cruiser display or the smaller 3" that was also used on the 216 SSi WT or 244 Sunesta, etc. Irregardless, here are your 2 choices seeing you have MerCruiser power.  Should be plug and play.

NOTE: before removing your gauge cluster panel to check for the part number, be sure to apply several layers of masking tape onto the fibreglass dash to help avoid scrapes from the aluminum panel. Lastly, don't lose any of the plastic washers for the screws.

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/gauges/

5" model:

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/tachometer-5-6000-rpm-with-large-display-for-mercruiser-engine-1/

3" model:

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/tachometer-3-6000-rpm-with-large-display-for-mercruiser-engine-13-00820/

Image result for for sale 2008 chaparral 250 signature

How difficult would it be to install a VesselView4 in place of the Chap tach?  I know I'd need a network and an engine gateway, but I've been looking for a reason to install one.  @Exoset you might be just the right person to ask!

4 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

How difficult would it be to install a VesselView4 in place of the Chap tach?  I know I'd need a network and an engine gateway, but I've been looking for a reason to install one.  @Exoset you might be just the right person to ask!

Hey buddy ;), it is VERY simple to replace your smartcraft gauge by a vesselview4, you should have a big blue wire going from the engine to the helm in a 4 or 6 ways junction box. You just plug the Vesselview 4 in this junction box and you are done.

VV4 is also a gateway to bridge your NMEA2K network and the Smartcraft network, it's delivered with an air temp sensor, you are free to install it or not, I put mine in the cabin to see from the outside the temp inside the cabin.

You should think about your dash though, be sure the size of the VV4 will fit in the hole of your square gauge otherwise you will need to enlarge the hole, here is the vesselview 4 size :

https://www.sbmar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/vessel_view_4_installation_8m0095044.pdf

But I am telling you, if you put a vesselview, you won't look at your other gauge... at all. The other thing I would do if I were you would be to unplug your trim wire from analog and plug it to digital (the 2 of them are side by side on the engine), and also unplug the wire from your sender (gas) from your gauge and put it on the engine (Bluegrey wire) if it is not already done.

If you do that, you will be able to enjoy the most useful feature of the VV4, which is Eco Mode, telling you your optimum trim position and your GPH fuel consumption, your gas tank level, etc, etc, if you need me to do a video of mine just tell me I will try to do it this week-end for you ;).

16 minutes ago, Exoset said:

Hey buddy ;), it is VERY simple to replace your smartcraft gauge by a vesselview4, you should have a big blue wire going from the engine to the helm in a 4 or 6 ways junction box. You just plug the Vesselview 4 in this junction box and you are done.

VV4 is also a gateway to bridge your NMEA2K network and the Smartcraft network, it's delivered with an air temp sensor, you are free to install it or not, I put mine in the cabin to see from the outside the temp inside the cabin.

You should think about your dash though, be sure the size of the VV4 will fit in the hole of your square gauge otherwise you will need to enlarge the hole, here is the vesselview 4 size :

https://www.sbmar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/vessel_view_4_installation_8m0095044.pdf

But I am telling you, if you put a vesselview, you won't look at your other gauge... at all. The other thing I would do if I were you would be to unplug your trim wire from analog and plug it to digital (the 2 of them are side by side on the engine), and also unplug the wire from your sender (gas) from your gauge and put it on the engine (Bluegrey wire) if it is not already done.

If you do that, you will be able to use the most useful feature of the VV4, which is Eco Mode, telling you your optimum trim position and your GPH fuel consumption, your gas tank level, etc, etc, if you need me to do a video of mine just tell me I will try to do it this week-end for you ;).

Whoa.  That got me all excited!  So you're saying the VV4 doesn't require the engine gateway because it receives the data via Smartcraft and delivers it directly to the NMEA2K network?  That is awesome!  I would absolutely add the network and plug in everything else you mentioned.  

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.  Now where can I find a hardtop too?  LOL!  (Kidding about the hardtop)

11 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Whoa.  That got me all excited!  So you're saying the VV4 doesn't require the engine gateway because it receives the data via Smartcraft and delivers it directly to the NMEA2K network?  That is awesome!  I would absolutely add the network and plug in everything else you mentioned.  

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.  Now where can I find a hardtop too?  LOL!  (Kidding about the hardtop)

Yep, behind the VV4 you have NMEA2K and Smartcraft plug. You can send NMEA2K infos to the VV4 and Smartcraft info to NMEA2K devices which is really cool :). 

Hehe wait for a bigger boat for the hardtop :p, you need 10 ft beam ;)