Iggy

Boy dies, very sad..................

14 posts in this topic

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2017/07/27/diver-recounts-dramatic-rescue-of-boy-after-boat-capsized-in-buzzards-bay

We just went though the canal 4 hours earlier. They were on a bow rider. They just can not take the waves going over the bow. As authorities said, that type of boat had no business being there.

So careful out there!!

Another reason to have a VHF. Passing boats heard the Mayday and one was a diver that came on the seen to pull the boy out.  

Dang. A tragedy that could have been avoided. 

Today was busy at Lake Allatoona in GA. I had some idiot power by me close enough I could have hit them with a rock when there was a whole 100 yards wide area until another boat. I saw him coming from a long way back and I have no idea what was going through his mind. I just hugged the coast maybe 100' off and kept in a straight line with my 7 and 10 yo kids in tow on a tube. 

1 hour ago, osteodoc08 said:

Today was busy at Lake Allatoona in GA. I had some idiot power by me close enough I could have hit them with a rock when there was a whole 100 yards wide area until another boat. I saw him coming from a long way back and I have no idea what was going through his mind. I just hugged the coast maybe 100' off and kept in a straight line with my 7 and 10 yo kids in tow on a tube. 

I'm normally on Allatoona, but we went to Lanier on Saturday. Man the idiots on that lake. 4 times I had boats cut across my bow in a perpendicular manner. 1 was so close I had to stop fast. I was following a larger boat out and he cut between both of us to jump the big boat wake. Ridiculous!  The others they just weren't paying attention. I'm a noob and took all the safety and boating courses I could even though I didn't have to. I'm very cautious out there. 

They are on Auto Pilot.

While the driver gets another beer or drug.

There are no ENFORCED laws during boating.  Just Russian Roulette.

There were 11 people on that boat. It did not help with boat's stability.

Something to keep in mind ... Boat Capacity plate shows number of people and total weight, whichever number is exceeded first counts.

I have seen bow riders on the water with so many people on them that there was standing room only.

There are boaters, and then there are people who have boats.

I think if you are loaded close to capacity, either by weight or volume, you are an accident looking for a place to happen.          You can't fix stupid.  Denny. 

This sums it up ...

U.S. Coast Guard accident statistics show that capsizing and falls overboard, due to improperly loaded or overloaded boats, are the most reported types of fatal accidents and account for over half of all boating fatalities.

My boat is "Yach Certified", whatever this means, and my comfortable load is up to 6 with 8 being my self imposed maximum. With up to 6 people onboard, they can have very comfortable seating while boat is properly balanced, and I can keep track of any of them while still maintaining safe navigation.

3 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

They are on Auto Pilot.

While the driver gets another beer or drug.

You know this how?

I don't think you can assume that someone crossing in front of your bow that they are in the wrong.  There are "right-of-way" rules that need to be followed.  Depending on the direction of the boat crossing your bow, you may have been the one to yield.

2 hours ago, PAT said:

I don't think you can assume that someone crossing in front of your bow that they are in the wrong.  There are "right-of-way" rules that need to be followed.  Depending on the direction of the boat crossing your bow, you may have been the one to yield.

I'd like to think most of us here are boaters and understand the right of way rules. I certainly know them and obey them, however, given that I have the right of way, I will not stand on with a course that will ensure collision as personal safety of myself and crew is paramount. 

4 hours ago, PAT said:

Coming from the starboard side is stand on, all subject to the situation. I think a boat blasting through the middle very close in order to jump a wake is a bit unsafe. Don't you?

20 hours ago, osteodoc08 said:

I boat on Lake Gaston in VA/NC. It is a big lake 34 miles long, 1 to 2 miles across. It is not a crowded lake at all, and more often than not, while just floating a boat will come with in 75 ft of us for no reason at all. It is like wtf.  

Idiots are everywhere, on our river, too. I will never have over six adults on our boat, most to date was five. We do have a lake trip planned in a few weeks with a niece, nephew, and their three kids. It will be basically five adult sized people and two smaller kids, 8+10. Two smaller kids in the bow, three on the bench, two in the buckets. Top of my comfort zone not only for load but also for space to move around. I will say I have hit some serious wakes with my Chap but I have never been caught off guard by them and have never taken water over my bow. I am comfortable having passengers up there due to the depth of the bowseats which are waaayyy deeper than my Crownline was.