Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brclark82

Screwed up today, have a question.

26 posts in this topic

Long story short....I took off with the anchor still out and wrapped the line around my prop :unsure:

I realized the anchor was still out seconds before it wrapped and had throttled down to neutral but it still wrapped up.  The engine beeped and shut itself off before I could turn the key off.  I got in the water and the line wasn't wrapped very tight so o just unwinded it and pulled up anchor.  It started up and ran perfect for the rest of the day so I dodged a bullet, or so I thought.

We ran it at cruising speed (3500-4000 rpms) for about 15 minutes on the way back and then went around at around 2500-3000 for another 5-10 while we were checking out some scenery.  Everything running like new, then I drop my wife off at the dock and as we are waiting for her to back the truck down the engine beeps and dies again. I believe I was in neutral just waiting, but I was going in and out of gear trying to stay out of the way so I'm not 100%. After that it started back up fine, I idled for a bit and then pulled it onto the trailer with no issues.  

You can see a little of the line rubbed off on the drive just behind the prop but other than that everything looks to be in order.

Anything I should worry about or have checked?

One other thing, some sort of tube on the back of the drive a little above where the prop would be was unplugged and hanging.  I found where it was supposed to be plugged in and reattached it.  I have not had a functional speedo for months and was waiting until winterization to get it fixed. I thought maybe that was what it was and had nothing to do with today's incident but I have no idea.  If a pic of the tube would help I can get one tomorrow. 

If the engine died you have put undu strain on the outdrive. You might  have a hidden problem in the outdrive. This is covered by your insurence as you hit a submerged object. 

2017 Merc 4.5L 250HP Alpha One 40 hrs

I assumed it shut off because of too much strain but was hoping that maybe it had a safety feature that tried to kill it before it before it did any damage as opposed to after.  Maybe that's wishful thinking. 

Look for junk covering the intakes or sucked into the pump & wrapped around the pump blades. Fisherman emptying his spool of used line.  Long tough strand of weeds pulled up & into the pump. Then up to the thermostat.  Try    ONLY putting the Garden hose clamp setup on the motor .  I would remove the thermostat to check for junk. Run the hose with NO thermostat. See if junk comes out the prop.

Timing says anchor line caused the over heat.  With what & how.  Figure that out.

DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR !!!!!!!  Find out what is blocking the water flow first.

NOT a piece of cake job.   Good Luck on this one.

EDIT     Removed a sentence.

Temps were fine, never even close to overheat. If it wasn't for the second shutdown I wouldnt even think twice about it.

I've done similar before and worst case scenario needed a new hub but it seems everything is fine. 

I`d take it back out for another run and observe how she preforms. It sounds like you will be fine based on what you have said so far.

With regard to the speedo, on the outdrive that is facing front of the boat you will find a small hole.

See this website : https://www.google.com/search?q=mercruiser+speedometer+pitot+tube&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic7tXEoLTVAhVFNz4KHf7_Ck0Q_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=950#imgrc=DVmcMGca4jEVQM:

take a small drill bit and with your fingers spin it gently in and out of the hole. This hole might be clogged with debris which makes the speedometer stop working. 

It happened to me, and that is how I fixed it. With regard to "hitting a submerged object and having insurance pay for it" . My outdrive went out on me in May. Took it to a mechanic who stated, and wrote on the repair bill, the damage was consistent with hitting something, but there was no external damage. Progressive would not pay for it.

Well, I took it back out today and put another 2 hrs on it and it ran fine.  Idle no problem, in and out of gear many times no problem, cruising speed, maxed out, no wake speed, all no problem. GPS speeds and rpms lined up.  Temps and oil pressures all the same as normal (as they were yesterday as well) I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that I escaped anything too terrible.  

On the other hand, my speedo still doesn't work (I have tried cleaning the pitot) so I have no idea what I plugged back in.  I'll try to get a pic later and see if someone can educate me.

5 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

Pull the prop and verify there are no strands wrapped around the shaft.

Good idea.

In this video

I believe it is the part he is talking about in step 2 that runs up into the boat (that isn't actually connected in this video because the drive isn't conncted to the boat) starting at the 58 second mark but doesn't say what exactly it is for. He calls it a shifter housing piece 

Looks like it is the quick connect for the speedo tube.

Stop by any Merc dealer and ask. You don't need the boat just show them the picture. A good dealer will give good will advice, hoping that someday you will bring it in.

Please don't take offense but I have to ask. How the heck do you run over your own anchor rode? 

Well, "a friend of mine" was hosting lunch on the hook in a cove (no alcohol, just a full boat of kids jumping, swimming, etc) and then working to get 2 of the kids ready for their first tubing ride and somehow forgot to lift the anchor amidst the chaos...  until I, I mean he, noticed it was towing a little slow!!

My advice is to also check the propellers in the event that they were bent in the fiasco ("my friend" had to have one of his SS props straightened -- though there was no hub or outdrive damage)

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

Please don't take offense but I have to ask. How the heck do you run over your own anchor rode? 

Well we were anchored in a cove for about an hour or so, my 2 year old had just woken up from his nap and wanted to swim.  After a while we decided it was time to head in for the day.  

My wife usually brings in the anchor while I make sure everything else is secure.  Well she was changing the baby from swim diaper to real diaper and I wasn't paying attention since we had a long no wake ride back to the main channel.  Oddly enough the anchor didn't affect the way the boat handled or speed, obviously wasn't set very well but it was a perfectly calm day with very little in the way of current on the cove.

As soon as I gave it throttle once we were back in the main channel I saw the anchor locker door pop up and immediately throttled down but it was too late.

Also, it is the speedo tube that was disconnected.  Odd that the speedo wasn't working, found this and plugged it in, and it still isn't working. Oh well, warranty work during winterization. 

On August 1, 2017 at 1:12 PM, brclark82 said:

Well we were anchored in a cove for about an hour or so, my 2 year old had just woken up from his nap and wanted to swim.  After a while we decided it was time to head in for the day.  

My wife usually brings in the anchor while I make sure everything else is secure.  Well she was changing the baby from swim diaper to real diaper and I wasn't paying attention since we had a long no wake ride back to the main channel.  Oddly enough the anchor didn't affect the way the boat handled or speed, obviously wasn't set very well but it was a perfectly calm day with very little in the way of current on the cove.

As soon as I gave it throttle once we were back in the main channel I saw the anchor locker door pop up and immediately throttled down but it was too late.

Also, it is the speedo tube that was disconnected.  Odd that the speedo wasn't working, found this and plugged it in, and it still isn't working. Oh well, warranty work during winterization. 

Get used to it not working. Across 2 different boats and 10 years of ownership, I've had a working pitot tube speedo exactly 2.25 seasons.