Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roady68

Just Venting - No Boating this past weekend

11 posts in this topic

Ugh.  First weekend in two months that it hasn't rained either of the two days and we had other stuff to do.  Local festival and family picnic kept Saturday booked up.  Yesterday was perfect, slight breeze, 80s and sunny but wife decided she wanted to get a a few things done around house.  On the plus side, the lawn looks like people actually live at our house, lol.  Oh well.  Back to work this week.  I may bug out a half day with some co-workers and go have some fun one day this week.

I understand. I'm trying to figure out when I can sneak in a boat run myself.  We've had grandkids for several days while their parents vacation.  They are young so wife wouldn't even entertain going to lake with the high summer temps.

I hate it when life gets in the way of boating! ^_^  I've had just the opposite last few days. The weather has been unseasonably cool with low humidity the past few days.  Friday morning I made a solo run for a few hours in the morning. Saturday it rained, but Sunday was a perfect afternoon with just the Admiral and I.  Yesterday was an after work cigar and cocktail cruise with a buddy of mine, and today I'm repeating that again with another buddy or two!  Life is good on the lake!

8 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

In the meantime you could update your thread on the Hull Truth...:D

Its on my to do list.  LOL.  I noticed my phone was getting filled up with pics.  Getting some of the boat repair pics off it could help a little.

I hate when business or life gets in the way.....looks like bad weather all weekend for us so not sure if we head to the lake house or not at this point.  The wheels start to fall off around our main house during the summer usually since we spend so much time out of town boating.  Maybe we will take a weekend to catch up a little bit at home.  

On 8/1/2017 at 0:38 PM, drewm3i said:

In the meantime you could update your thread on the Hull Truth...:D

Wait, they let you have a thread about something other than a center console over there?  Or do you have another boat

3 hours ago, brclark82 said:

Wait, they let you have a thread about something other than a center console over there?  Or do you have another boat

Yes...it's a great forum. Not just for center consoles, but yes it is saltwater oriented and I boat in the keys so it makes sense. I meant iboats for Roady though, that's where his thread is.

While I was recovering from my back injury I missed a week and half of boating. Finally up and walking, I get the trailer to the repair shop. 2 days. He text me yesterday and said it was ready. The forecast was calling for thunderstorms late in the afternoon. I keep an eye on the radar looking for cells. As I'm picking up the trailer I see one developing 100 miles away. I'm thinking, if I don't get into the water today, I won't get in until next week due to poor weather. The launch ramp is only 10 minutes away. I decided to put it in, even if its only an hour.

I had an easy launch and off I go!  After weeks of inactivity, I'm in my boat unconsciously calculating the value I'm now getting out of it.  I zip around the Niagara River. Then decided to float for a bit and take a swim. I dive in and go underneath the boat for inspection. Then I "hear" the voice of Jacques Cousteau in my head as I look at my boat floating above me. Like the tv series many many years ago.

The thunderstorms are building around me but I'm in the slot of inactivity. I thought I'd hit Smoke on the Water for an early dinner but as I came around the bend a bolt of lightnig flashed about 8 miles inland. I took that as a msg to get out of the water. 

I'm so happy to have put it in yesterday even though it was a short run. The weather forecast is awful for the next few days. Winds nearling 30kts, waves up to 9 feet and waterspouts.

It will be a good time out of water to do some repairs on the haul and maybe some teak.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:25 AM, SST said:

While I was recovering from my back injury I missed a week and half of boating. Finally up and walking, I get the trailer to the repair shop. 2 days. He text me yesterday and said it was ready. The forecast was calling for thunderstorms late in the afternoon. I keep an eye on the radar looking for cells. As I'm picking up the trailer I see one developing 100 miles away. I'm thinking, if I don't get into the water today, I won't get in until next week due to poor weather. The launch ramp is only 10 minutes away. I decided to put it in, even if its only an hour.

I had an easy launch and off I go!  After weeks of inactivity, I'm in my boat unconsciously calculating the value I'm now getting out of it.  I zip around the Niagara River. Then decided to float for a bit and take a swim. I dive in and go underneath the boat for inspection. Then I "hear" the voice of Jacques Cousteau in my head as I look at my boat floating above me. Like the tv series many many years ago.

The thunderstorms are building around me but I'm in the slot of inactivity. I thought I'd hit Smoke on the Water for an early dinner but as I came around the bend a bolt of lightnig flashed about 8 miles inland. I took that as a msg to get out of the water. 

I'm so happy to have put it in yesterday even though it was a short run. The weather forecast is awful for the next few days. Winds nearling 30kts, waves up to 9 feet and waterspouts.

It will be a good time out of water to do some repairs on the haul and maybe some teak.

Glad your trailer issues are set.  I am watching weather too.  My work calendar is starting to open up, and our summer guest leaves next week.  I am thinking rest of August will see a lot more boat time for us.  

Arrived at Wellesley Island New York on Saturday July 8th for a three week vacation. Had the boat in the water by 10am, rained the rest of the day, Sunday and most of Monday. Went for a cruise Monday night and noticed a wining noise and bilge pump ran for extended time. Pulled boat on Tuesday morning and went to Chalks Marina. Split in bellows and failing gimbal bearing. Back in the water on the 16th. Rain,...rain,...more rain,...clouds, wind,...more rain. On the evening of the 22nd I may have witnessed the heaviest rain I have ever experienced. I found a bucket outside the next morning with about a foot of water in it, I'm sure was empty before the storm. Restaurants, fuel stations, etc. are all suffering loss of business; the one exception is  liquor stores. I don't know how I managed to put 10 hours on the boat. 2017 will go down as the summer that wasn't. 

P.S. still had fun, beautiful location.