jdsdls05

Wood Bunk Replacement help

26 posts in this topic

Hello need some thoughts on what type of wood.    Right now each bunk is one piece of solid wood 4"  Wide x 8" tall on one side and 7 3/8" on inner side each bunk is 11' long.   What type of wood is 4' wide to fit in my trailer.  Its a Performance brand long out of business.  Boat is a 256.

So it's roughly 4" x 8" x 11'? That's a dern log. 

Mine just uses PT 2x6 and 2x8 I believe on my MTI covered in bunk carpeting

Yeah, mine are 2x6 if I had to hazard a guess. 4x8x11ft sounds like a structural beam! Of course the 256 is a heavy boat. I guess you could buy 4 PT 4x4x12ft posts, drill & countersink galvanized or stainless lag screws to hold the two 4x4's together and then cover with new carpet. I imagine that would do the job.

You could sandwich 2  treated 2x8's together, or special order a 4x8x12 from your local lumber yard.

How often does the carpet need to be replaced on the bunks? Wood too or just the carpeting? I launch about 15 times a year and the old bunks are 5 years old. When should I do this? 

no set time necessarily, just based on when it's worn out and no longer protecting the hull.  And the wood would need to be replaced if it's rotting out.

1 hour ago, yogi799 said:

How often does the carpet need to be replaced on the bunks? Wood too or just the carpeting? I launch about 15 times a year and the old bunks are 5 years old. When should I do this? 

when woods rotting and or carpet is falling off.  Ive had 20 year old boats with original wood.  PT wood or certain species of wood can last forever outside in wet conditions.  Even regular KD pine boards can last a long time outside as long as they can dry out and are not constantly soaked.

I think the wood is good (only 5 yrs old) but the carpet should be redone as it's scratching the hull a bit . Wonder if its a quick and easy DIY 

21 minutes ago, yogi799 said:

I think the wood is good (only 5 yrs old) but the carpet should be redone as it's scratching the hull a bit . Wonder if its a quick and easy DIY 

carpet is easy,  remove old stuff, buy new stuff.  use old stuff as a template.  Reattach using stainless staples and possibly some adhesive.

+1, carpet is easy.  Had to replace a pc. on my old trailer and it was simple.  

Cool. Thanks guys. Just gotta get the boat off. Usually that's when I vacation so it's always a pain in the $^&. 

Hey guys, are 1/4 inch Staples good enough to hold the carpet? Marine store guy sold me those saying they'll be plenty fine. My old Staples were much longer (guessing 3/8 or more). I've done one bunk already and it seems nice and tight but the boat has not gone on them yet. I'll be pulling the boat out of water today and access to hardware stores over here is extremely hard... Tough to buy longer staples. Will the 1/4 Staples do? (no glue, original work had no glue either). I put them about 4-5 in apart. Original ones were 2 in apart. 

If staples are on the back side, they should be just fine. If carpet is stapled on the sides of bunks I would use longer staples. Do two inches apart, as original, especially if staples are on the sides ... chances are there was a reason for that tight spacing.

Thanks Richard. I've done some research and they say 3/8 is typically the absolute minimum. Not sure why the marine store guy carries only 1/4. The boat got onto the trailer just fine and no damage done yet to the carpet, but I just finished a 3hr trip and the wind blew off one of the front staples on the side, so there is now a little flap hanging loose and susceptible to further staples flying off. That tells me the 3/8 is indeed the minimum and 1/2 would not be unreasonable. I will probably leave the 1/4 staples in but add a few longer ones in critical spots and call it a day. At least I was able to retrieve the boat from water and finish the trip. New carpet looks cool.

I ended up making my own I used 2 x 10 and 3/4 plywood all PT and glued and screwed it.   It helps to have a table saw and rip it to the 8".   Like making a micron lam for the house its solid and not going anywhere

Btw. How do you make a specially custom cut board like the one that came with my trailer? It's completely custom dimensions on all 4 sides. Like 3 something by 4 something by 5 something (inches)? I take it they take the boat's deadrise and then some software tells them the exact dimensions of the board to be cut? I've noted my bunk dimensions when I took off the carpet. Would I need a special lumber store to cut me such a board when the time comes for wood replacement? I can't see how one could cut it themselves. Even Home depot won't cut like that. 

9 hours ago, yogi799 said:

Thanks Richard. I've done some research and they say 3/8 is typically the absolute minimum. Not sure why the marine store guy carries only 1/4. The boat got onto the trailer just fine and no damage done yet to the carpet, but I just finished a 3hr trip and the wind blew off one of the front staples on the side, so there is now a little flap hanging loose and susceptible to further staples flying off. That tells me the 3/8 is indeed the minimum and 1/2 would not be unreasonable. I will probably leave the 1/4 staples in but add a few longer ones in critical spots and call it a day. At least I was able to retrieve the boat from water and finish the trip. New carpet looks cool.

Looks like there was a reason for longer staples as well ... 3/8 are better for sure, 1/2 does not hurt either till you need to pull them out. When you have a boat off the trailer restaple the carpet with longer staples and be done with it. Sounds like pulling the 1/4  staples out will not be a big deal.

Any body recommend those super slippery plastic strips ? Wondered if they get bottom grit imbedded in them & scratch away the Gel Coat ?

I'm not a fan of the plastic topper on my bunks. They are not at all smooth and my hull is taking a beating. Will be removed very soon.

12 hours ago, Kinny said:

I'm not a fan of the plastic topper on my bunks. They are not at all smooth and my hull is taking a beating. Will be removed very soon.

I was woundering about that. A saw some on a pontoon trailer a the guy said the boat slides right off. Good for aluminum not so good for plastic.