Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toolboat

Looking for another boat to spend weekends on

39 posts in this topic

I currently have a malibu response, but I would like to find something for the family (wife and 2 kids) to be able to take to Powell or flaming gorge for a weekend.  I've owned a chaparral 1850ss in the past and was always impressed with the quality so I want another one.  I'm keeping the malibu so this will be a second boat.  I just would like so direction at what to look at.  $30,000 max.  

minimum cuddy to worth anything is going to be 22ft anything smaller is a waste of time.  Likewise with a cabin cruiser, I would think you would have to get to 25-26ft to be worth while.

I have a 26' Cabin Cruiser on Lake Powell and love it. It's big enough for me to move around and sleep in but not so big as to be a PITA to maneuver in some of the tighter canyons. The girlfriend and I regularly spend 4-6 nights on it.

With that budget you could land a cuddy in good shape like a 2335 ss/245 SSI that has a nice hull and big bed for a small boat. This is the most spacious small cuddy chaparral has ever made. The newer 215 SSI, 235 SSI, and 255 SSI don't compare for headroom. Another cuddy to look at is the 285 SSI/2835 ss if you want a sporty day boat with overnight amenities.

Still, since you're looking for a overnight boat, I recommend a small cruiser. With your budget, you can easily find a 240 sig, 260 sig, 27 sig, or 29 sig. These boats get bigger as you go and are more spacious. The 240 will be luck to sleep 3, the 29 could sleep 6. I would recommend a '96-'00 27 sig as a first cruiser. Seems to be a nice balance of space, features, and price. You could find one around 20, but be sure to check for rot as older cruisers are notorious for it! Good luck!

Define what you want to do with it better.  I Have owned and ben in many of the 21-23ft cuddys out there,  theyre nice as you can put stuff into them, get people out of the elements etc.  But once you put the bed down that's its, enough for two people to be semi comfortable, many cuddys in this length once the bed is down there is no standing the floor is gone.  I had a 265SSi and the 285SSI would probably be a nice compromise without getting into the cruiser world. 

You`ll also need to factor  trailer or slip. If you trailer you may be limited by the muscle of your tow vehicle. For a lot of the boats listed above you might want a 2500 series truck.

I'd recommend a cruiser with a generator and AC if you'd like to spend your summer nights at anchor.

16 hours ago, Toolboat said:

I have a 3/4 ton truck. I want to explore the lake and spend 2-3 nights at a time on the boat

2-3 nights at a time I would go cruiser or a cuddy that's at least 25-26ft.  Formula has a sport cuddy the SS, and chap has the 265 and 285SSis that are the sport cuddy.  Forumlas I think come in 24, 26, and 28, and more.

To be frank if the goal is to stay in something consistently the cruiser is the way to go.  Theres a reason the sport cuddys in bigger lengths are not that popular,  cuddys just don't cut the cheese when it comes to staying in something consistently.  I know some make do and have a good time, but cuddys are like camping in the back of your pick up truck, it works, but its not ideal.

SCREEENS  or AIR CONDITIONER.

Better is both. As you sit in the bug free cabin enjoying your boat in the evening.

I like 50 & 60s music with mosquitos playing back round bass.  Great hummers.   :pirate:

Not knowing what year and size you are considering, I had recently picked up a 2001 signature 300 with good running gen, and a/c for much less then your budget price and it has a lot of room underneath and above.  (It even came with bow thruster).  Good luck with your search. 

3 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

2-3 nights at a time I would go cruiser or a cuddy that's at least 25-26ft.  Formula has a sport cuddy the SS, and chap has the 265 and 285SSis that are the sport cuddy.  Forumlas I think come in 24, 26, and 28, and more.

To be frank if the goal is to stay in something consistently the cruiser is the way to go.  Theres a reason the sport cuddys in bigger lengths are not that popular,  cuddys just don't cut the cheese when it comes to staying in something consistently.  I know some make do and have a good time, but cuddys are like camping in the back of your pick up truck, it works, but its not ideal.

Even a used Formula will be 3-4 times your budget. Next choice please. Family of 4 will be too tight on a trailerable cruiser.

Been there, done that.

10 minutes ago, Rip5 said:

Even a used Formula will be 3-4 times your budget. Next choice please. Family of 4 will be too tight on a trailerable cruiser.

Been there, done that.

Better learn to shop around better. . used formulas in great shape in that range all day long, same with 265 and 285SSis

1 hour ago, whosurpopi said:

Not knowing what year and size you are considering, I had recently picked up a 2001 signature 300 with good running gen, and a/c for much less then your budget price and it has a lot of room underneath and above.  (It even came with bow thruster).  Good luck with your search. 

The more I've searched the web, I think I'm going to start focusing on a signature 28-30 like you found. I have time.  

1 hour ago, Toolboat said:

The more I've searched the web, I think I'm going to start focusing on a signature 28-30 like you found. I have time.  

What state are you in?

Glad you have time because it's going to be very difficult to find a cruiser that size for under 30K that is in good shape.

1 hour ago, drewm3i said:

What state are you in?

Guessing Utah, based on Lake Powell destination. Could be Arizona as well.

30 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Glad you have time because it's going to be very difficult to fine a cruiser that size for under 30K that is in good shape.

I'm sure you do not need to brush up on your shopping skills like I do. :lol:  Anyone can find quite a few boats for under 30K, but condition

is everything, and many need TLC that may or may not be what the OP has in mind.

We are a day or so away from taking delivery of a 1999 2835 SE.  It is a very similar hull to the later 285.  LOVE the cockpit layout and the cuddy with a real head is going to extend our time on the water for sure.  Twin 350 mags with B3 drives will be a bit ( ha ha ) thirsty but she hit 60+ on the wet test Monday.  Condition is everything for sure. We were there for the Marine Survey and our surveyor found several picky items and 2 major items.  We negotiated with the seller to have the 2 bigger items corrected as part of the sale and now we wait...........................