Sign in to follow this  
Toolboat

Looking for another boat to spend weekends on

I'm 6'5" and can stand up at the galley of my cruiser... My last boat was a 24' cuddy and it did not cut it at all.

Made it to look at 2 signature 300's   I really like the boat. What should I look for buying one of these for power and options.  And what should I avoid.

56 minutes ago, Toolboat said:

Made it to look at 2 signature 300's   I really like the boat. What should I look for buying one of these for power and options.  And what should I avoid.

Avoid rot, have the boat surveyed.

On 8/1/2017 at 5:18 PM, Futzin' said:

I'd recommend a cruiser with a generator and AC if you'd like to spend your summer nights at anchor.

Your going to need a Sig 290 and even bigger. You need to carry enough water, food and with 4 aboard, you need the room.  

I like on board every weekend and love it!!!! 

Water test, and don't let them get away with a short one.  At least a 15 minute test, then bring it back to the dock and let it run with the covers off.  Look for leaks, have a laser thermo and hit the exhaust while its running.

19 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Avoid rot, have the boat surveyed.

Have surveyor check stringers back under the exhaust manifolds.  Also, check for moisture in the blocks that the engine mounts are on.  The transom on the Sig 300 has a recessed area that the drive mount to.  The offset allows water, if there is ever a leak in the seal around the outdrive, to fill in the area under the battery and trim tab pump (assuming mercruiser).  Also, the trim tabs are screwed through the bottom of the hull.  Two of the screws poked through into that same cavity.  I ended up replacing two stringers and the engine mount.  I also sealed the cavity from the transom and drilled some limber holes to let any water that is leaking at the transom go into the bilge.  I know its more than you asked, but I got carried away.  The electrical system is extensive, but no too complex.  A good survey will check that out.  I found a lot of my switches didn't work properly as previous owners replaced with more generic version of the type switch Chaparral used.  If Mercury powered, you should be able to have a mechanic plug a reader in and get the statistics on the engine. 

Overall, I am very fond of our Sig 300. The layout up top is great.  The only area it could use some improvement is the lunge seat.  The curve makes it nice to sit and talk to anyone in helm seat, but awkward to just sit and relax. Down in the cabin, head room is tight in the  aft cabin, but if set up as a bed most of the time, then really not an issue.  We have the dinette table option and not the couch.  The extra counter space is handy.  We have yet to sit below and use the table to eat at though.  I would guess if weather was bad enough, we would.  

1 hour ago, Roady68 said:

Have surveyor check stringers back under the exhaust manifolds.  Also, check for moisture in the blocks that the engine mounts are on.  The transom on the Sig 300 has a recessed area that the drive mount to.  The offset allows water, if there is ever a leak in the seal around the outdrive, to fill in the area under the battery and trim tab pump (assuming mercruiser).  Also, the trim tabs are screwed through the bottom of the hull.  Two of the screws poked through into that same cavity.  I ended up replacing two stringers and the engine mount.  I also sealed the cavity from the transom and drilled some limber holes to let any water that is leaking at the transom go into the bilge.  I know its more than you asked, but I got carried away.  The electrical system is extensive, but no too complex.  A good survey will check that out.  I found a lot of my switches didn't work properly as previous owners replaced with more generic version of the type switch Chaparral used.  If Mercury powered, you should be able to have a mechanic plug a reader in and get the statistics on the engine. 

Overall, I am very fond of our Sig 300. The layout up top is great.  The only area it could use some improvement is the lunge seat.  The curve makes it nice to sit and talk to anyone in helm seat, but awkward to just sit and relax. Down in the cabin, head room is tight in the  aft cabin, but if set up as a bed most of the time, then really not an issue.  We have the dinette table option and not the couch.  The extra counter space is handy.  We have yet to sit below and use the table to eat at though.  I would guess if weather was bad enough, we would.  

Thank you for the specifics.  This may sound dumb.  How does one go about getting a survey and how much does it cost 

1 hour ago, Toolboat said:

Thank you for the specifics.  This may sound dumb.  How does one go about getting a survey and how much does it cost 

if you google marine surveyors there are quite a few organizations, and association wesbsites you can look up by zipcode.  or a simple phone book might have some.  I would not ask the seller which one to use, the name they give you is probably a buddy. 

Do not use the marina for offering / recommending  a surveyor. Too chummy sometimes. Pay the mileage fee for a important inspection.

I looked at a 1999 sea ray 340 sundancer today.  I really like the size and layout.  What would be the closest chaparral to the 340 sundancer?