Wolfsong

New to us Chaparral 2835 SSI Special Edition

36 posts in this topic

Hello All,

As long as the surveyor's work list is handled at the service center my wife and I are taking delivery of a 1999 2835 SSi Special Edition on Thursday.  We are super excited to move up to our "power cruiser"!   Coming from a Regal 200 Destiny CC deck boat ( we loved it, just outgrew it ) the 2835 is a big step ( for us at least ).   This boat has the twin 350 Mags with fuel injection and captains call exhaust.  The wet test was pretty exhilarating. She needs a few small fixes like the forward bilge pump, sump box and a leaky trim tab actuator.  The Vaccuflush head pump cycles on and off but that  seems to be a common issue and a new duck bill valve should fix that issue.  I will be handling the small stuff.  The seller is paying for a power steering repair ( saw atf in the bilge and the level was low on the engine used to source the fluid ) and he is having the upper units of the outdrives serviced with new thrust bearings and shims to correct a noise heard by our surveyor in the port side outdrive.  He heard a "roller" sort of noise while we sat waiting to be pulled out for the hull/outdrive inspection.   The service guys hooked it up to a hose and brought out the direct contact stethoscope ( pretty cool ).  He advised we pull the covers and check the shims and thrust bearings.  One of the trim tabs has a leak at the actuator rod and we are having it replaced. 

She will be moored in our covered slip on Lake Lanier in Georgia.  The slip is 9'9" wide so docking will be fun! We plan on getting her close and then using boathooks to slide her in the slip nice and easy. We are looking at cover options and I am leaning towards a custom mooring cover to keep the dust/pollen out of the cockpit and help with sun exposure.  She has snaps for  the full camper isinglass enclosure but we are not sure we want to do the snap in cockpit cover.  We have that on the Regal and it is a PITA for one person and it does not cover to the rub rail like a mooring cover will.  Since the boat is 28' will a mooring cover also be a PITA for one person to put on and take off?

Has anyone run down the Vaccuflush duck bill valve issue?  Any hints?  I can fit in the locker that has access to the vac. system.

We also need to source a table for the cuddy and the cockpit.  Cuddy is a single pole and the cockpit looks to be a 2 pole.  Any ideas on size for these?  Does not have to be OEM and I was thinking of laying up a cool teak table top.

Hope I have not jinxed the deal by posting before we take delivery!

tables with poles should be fairly easy to find on amazon, bass pro, ebay etc. The tables in my 265ssi were roughly 2ft long maybe by about 12-15 wide at the widest part.  good thing about getting new ones is you could get what you want.  you could also look at cecil marine online im sure they have the oem tables.

Congrats on the new boat.  We purchased the same boat 5 years ago and it has been used a lot during the boating season.  It's a big boat but with a little practice you will get used to maneuvering it aruond.  Not sure how your going to get it to fit into a 9'6" dock though since the boat is 9'3" at the rub rails.  It's going to be a tight fit.  

The vacuflush just needs two duck bills and they are accessible through the ski locker.  Tight fit, but doable.  Just have a helper to hand you tools if you need it down there.  Same with the sump box.  

A mooring cover is easy to take on and off by yourself.  Especially since you will have dock space on both sides of your boat.  Have one custom made if you don't have one with the boat.  

You may not need the cabin table since it's small to be sitting and eating in there.  We leave the cushions flat to put gear bags on or just to lay down for naps during the day.  Great for the little ones.

Good luck and post some pics.

Jjlai724,

We are looking forward to the upgrade.  9'9" is the space we have so we will make it work I hope.  Just put dock edge on all of the poles that support the party deck above the slip and will get new cleats installed once we figure out the lines and their proper positioning.  I like the mooring cover idea just for the extra coverage and the ease of on and off.  Thanks for the heads up on the tool handler while in the locker.  BTW what a huge locker!  i was impressed with the overall accessibility of the elec. and water system components.  Not so much the engine compartment but then twin 350 Mags do take up some room!

Photos will come after we take delivery.  Do not want to Jinx the deal!

Get Garelick tables and legs. Your choice on which retailer to purchase from. Not usually  heavily discounted items.

The boat sounds like a nice upgrade for you.

Rip5,

Thanks for the info.  As long as all goes well at the Marina it will be a fun new adventure to throw money at! 

Check to see if the head is holding water. If not it's probably the ball seal at the bottom of the bowl.

Philbo,

Good idea.  I will start the real troubleshooting once we take delivery.

Awesome, hope everything pans out!  We've got about one year into our 285 and love it.

+1 on Jjlai's comments.  Regarding the cabin table, we've never used it.  We have the snap-on cockpit cover and it's easy for one person to put on, I do a quick clean every weekend so the windshield and rub rails don't get too much gunk built up.

I did up this pic awhile back on the cockpit table for someone else, maybe it'll help you source something:

285-cockpit-table.jpg

Brirei,

Thanks for the dimensional photo.  Is that table also used to support the pad that crates the rear sun pad lounge area?  Any help on the height of the posts?  I wonder if Garelick expandable posts might be a worthwhile investment.  If that is the support for the pad, does it also use short legs while supporting the pad?

5 minutes ago, Wolfsong said:

Is that table also used to support the pad that crates the rear sun pad lounge area?

6 minutes ago, Wolfsong said:

If that is the support for the pad, does it also use short legs while supporting the pad?

This is indeed how it works on my 2006 220 SSi.

Ok, who can help with the 3rd party hosting deal from photobucket.  I followed the url on the error message and I can not figure out how to not have to spend $399 a year to be able to see photos.  The photos posted br brirei show up just fine Btw.

I've switched to Microsoft's OneDrive.  Gotta rebuild what I had on PB when/if I feel like it.

1 hour ago, Wolfsong said:

... The photos posted br brirei show up just fine Btw.

Wolfsong - I host images on a personal server, no photobuckets.  I think Google Drive allows public image access but I haven't ever used it for that purpose.  May be worth some research!

2 hours ago, Wolfsong said:

Brirei,

Thanks for the dimensional photo.  Is that table also used to support the pad that crates the rear sun pad lounge area?  Any help on the height of the posts?  I wonder if Garelick expandable posts might be a worthwhile investment.  If that is the support for the pad, does it also use short legs while supporting the pad?

Yep on all accounts!

I'll measure the posts and snap some more pics this evening...

Wolfsong.....did you pick up your new boat yesterday?   Post pics please if you did.  

We are in fact now Chaparral owners!  Pics to follow soon.  We are still doing the stem to stern cleaning and arranging all of our boat stuff.

3 days in and we are loving the 2835!  We are in the process of making her ours!  Purple Daze is the front runner for her name.  We do need to decide on an overall coverage mooring cover vs. a snap in cockpit cover.  Our slip is only 20 feet deep so she will hang out by about 8 feel.  Leaning towards the full coverage mooring cover to keep the dust, pollen and general junk off of the bow and the rest of the boar.  Also like the idea of coverage to the rub rail.  IF any one has any advice on mooring vs. cockpit covers please share.  Also material choices.  Sunbrella has always served us on our Regal.

20621332_1965697560137597_235488732647861996_n.jpg

20525523_1965697290137624_8223490973107738941_n.jpg

20604517_1965697446804275_2476780044597488956_n.jpg

20615889_1967392839968069_8849650282413958000_o.jpg

Mooring cover definitely provides better protection than snap on cockpit covers.  Cockpit pit covers always seem to let water in.  The snaps are no fun to deal with at the end of a hot day with the sun beating down on you. The way I was wet slipped, I only had a dock on one side so a mooring cover seemed like it'd be really hard to put on.  If you're confident you can get the morning cover on while the boat sits in the water, it's the better the option. 

love these boats loved my 265ssi.  but for the life of me I cant figure out why on one of their top of the line boats chap used cheap plastic door handles and such, that turn yellow and crack.  think I replaced 2-3 of those compartment round handles with stainless once I got it.

Soldier4402,

Do you mean the  door to the fridge, the locker behind it etc.?