Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
larryk

Dash Alarm - 2004 210SSI..?

8 posts in this topic

My 2004 Chaparral 210 SSI looks almost as good as it did many years ago, has been garage kept, well taken care of, has 184 hours, but now has an alarm that starts at higher speeds as an intermittent "chirp," that becomes more contant before turning to a solid b-e-e-p.  Throttling back to idlespeed will clear it in a few seconds...I seem to be able to run up to about 30mph with no alarms. All normal service has been done, including having just replaced the raw water pump and impeller. Oil and filter are new and clean, but 40 psi idle oil pressure climbs under acceleration to over 80psi..haven't found any indication anywhere whether that's normal or not.  As long as we're out for a slow cruise, no alarms, but I hate the thought of doing permanent damage trying to beat a storm back to the landing.  Anyone have any ideas.  The small annunciator under the dash that sounds the alarm is fed by a red wire and tan wire with a blue stripe.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All fluids ok? Power Steering, Final Drive Fluid and Power Trim Fluid and everything else? I remember running on a lake and all of a sudden b e e p. I was low on gear fluid. But only when I was running a higher RPM. It seemed like the sensor with the higher speed was exposed. Just an idea.

14 hours ago, larryk said:

My 2004 Chaparral 210 SSI looks almost as good as it did many years ago, has been garage kept, well taken care of, has 184 hours, but now has an alarm that starts at higher speeds as an intermittent "chirp," that becomes more contant before turning to a solid b-e-e-p.  Throttling back to idlespeed will clear it in a few seconds...I seem to be able to run up to about 30mph with no alarms. All normal service has been done, including having just replaced the raw water pump and impeller. Oil and filter are new and clean, but 40 psi idle oil pressure climbs under acceleration to over 80psi..haven't found any indication anywhere whether that's normal or not.  As long as we're out for a slow cruise, no alarms, but I hate the thought of doing permanent damage trying to beat a storm back to the landing.  Anyone have any ideas.  The small annunciator under the dash that sounds the alarm is fed by a red wire and tan wire with a blue stripe.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Seeing you have a Volvo 5.0 GL-E (carb'd engine) the amount of factors that will sound the alarm are rather limited. What exact grade of engine oil are you running? I have seen issues where guys running conventional 10w30 engine oil will have an alarm sound due to wild fluctuations in oil pressure, but this requires operating the boat at 3500+ RPM for 10 minutes or more.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions....per my manual, rather than Volvo oil, it says I can use 15w50 Full Synthetic.  I used Mobil 1.  Should I go back to single viscosity 30w full synthetic?  Will check all other levels today.  Thanks again.

As an update, I replaced the oil (30w full synthetic), filter, and stern unit gear oil (which was definitely low), all with Volvo recommended replacements, and checked trim and steering levels (both good).  Went for water test, still have alarm.  Noticed how quickly temp spiked from about 130 to 180 at full throttle after a short distance.  Of course alarm sounding by that point.  Dropped back to idle and alarm clears and temp drops back in a few minutes.  Pulled thermostat housing and although I have a new VP thermostat to replace it, I discovered quite a few pieces of an old impeller clogging the hose inlets into the housing. (I even had to carefully use a drill to break through on one side...the other side dislodged with a small wire brush snake)    I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone here...fix the rapid temp rise and the alarm.  I'll update after the next water test.  Thanks again for all the helpful input.   

Sounds like you found the problem. The challenge is to find all remaining pieces of the old impeller. 

brick

If it's from the current impeller, you need to replace it. If it's from an old impeller, make sure the smaller lines from the Tstat housing are clear. If the water system is like mine, the water comes from the transom, through the oil cooler and to the raw water pump. In other words, no pieces should be in the oil cooler