Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Challenger604

Chicago Airshow

7 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is in the right forum. But the Chicago Airshow is August 19/20th. Has anyone ever gone and watched from the water. I really want to do this as it seems like a great atmosphere. Or is anyone planning on going? Any tips on where to launch and park my truck and trailer. 

Thanks folks in advance. 

Done it a few times. I prefer to go on Friday afternoon less boats. It becomes real busy after the show, boats all sizes and going in all directions. Putting in at the Chicago marina's can be done but I've opted to put in Hammond. It's a straight shot up the lake. 

Wind is your biggest concern, it can change directions and speed, with that comes larger waves. SW to W winds are your best bet, Below 10mph.

I was out there one time, started with 1' waves then the wind clocked the waves went to 4-5'. 

I would go every year until i moved my boat across the lake.  Toddler is 100% correct.  if its a calm day, a short 15 mile or so boat ride from Hammond, IN marina is the best option.  check the NOAA wave reports to make sure the winds will be SW and not forecasted to change to any other direction.  regardless, after the show the breakwalls and large boats will cause the area around Navy Pier to be rough - get behind a larger cruiser, once you get south of downtown area it will get better.  its a great view from the water and the Navy Seals usually parachute into the water and we encountered one swimming from boat to boat - it was great fun watching everyone get spooked a bit.  Water is very deep so bring plenty of anchor rode as the bottom is hard (40-60') deep where you will anchor

Thanks for the info guys. We will keep a close eye on the weather. It would be something totally different for us to see the show from the water. 

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, Toddler said:

Done it a few times. I prefer to go on Friday afternoon less boats. It becomes real busy after the show, boats all sizes and going in all directions. Putting in at the Chicago marina's can be done but I've opted to put in Hammond. It's a straight shot up the lake. 

Wind is your biggest concern, it can change directions and speed, with that comes larger waves. SW to W winds are your best bet, Below 10mph.

I was out there one time, started with 1' waves then the wind clocked the waves went to 4-5'. 

Being on the eastern end of Lake Erie, SW winds are the worst as the wind speed increases.  I have watched the airshow at Niagara Falls from the Niagara River in years past. I always have my binoculars to watch. Although its fun, it doesn't compare to a waterfront show. 

On 8/3/2017 at 8:41 AM, delaney said:

Water is very deep so bring plenty of anchor rode as the bottom is hard (40-60') deep where you will anchor

I carry 200' just for Lake Michigan and have used almost all of it.

Also I NEVER go inside the breakwalls in Chicago. Makes LOTO look calm!