Kinger1214

New Motor

13 posts in this topic

Our mechanic has determined our engine with 480 Hrs.  needs overhauled or replaced!! Ouch....

Wondering who has had to do this and looking for advice. Rebuild or new?  If new, any ideas best place to purchase a new engine. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Matt

That's not all that many hours to consider replacement/rebuild. Know a lot of boat that have many more than that. Did anything specific happen? How confident are you in your mechanics opinion?

What is/are the issues?  Compression readings low/or bad cylinder?  Risers let water into engine?  Cracked block from poor winterization?  Burning oil from bad valve seals?  There are many possible problems, and most of them may not require a complete overhaul/replacement.  As stated, 480 hours is pretty low.  Analogous to about 35000 miles in a car.  Depending on how engine was used.  I know a lot of folks with 700 hours plus on their engines and no they run great.  Unless the engine was abused (run on low oil, no oil changes, etc), I am guessing you have a subsystem or single part issue.

On 8/3/2017 at 10:04 AM, Bt Doctur said:

tell us whats wrong  and get a second opinion

+1. We want to help.  Help us help you ;) 

Assuming you do indeed need a new motor, there are many options.  Myself, I purchased a factory refurbished motor and am happy.  I went back full stock.  I had ~620 hours on my Merc Mag 350.  Fact is A head job would have fixed all but one issue.  Unfortunately I had 1 piston that had bad rings.  Being lazy, I opted to replace the whole thing and start hours over, hoping to get another 10-15 years out of my paid-for boat.

Jegs.com pick up a short block, have your cylinder heads checked out and bolt everything from you old motor to your new and your set for 1/3 the cost. Do it in your garage and bring the engine to your mechanic for installation. .02 cents

Kinger1214's post from july 29, may help answer some of the questions here:

I own a 2002 235 Ssi and experienced a knocking noise yesterday. The sound is only noticeable under a load! No noise while in neutral and revving, Purrs like a kitten. Also no noise while cruising at around 10 MPH. Only hear it while the boat is under a load. A few people have mentioned maybe water in the fuel. Any suggestions??

2 hours ago, rreale said:

I own a 2002 235 Ssi and experienced a knocking noise yesterday. The sound is only noticeable under a load! No noise while in neutral and revving, Purrs like a kitten. Also no noise while cruising at around 10 MPH. Only hear it while the boat is under a load. A few people have mentioned maybe water in the fuel. Any suggestions??

Oh my :(

2 hours ago, rreale said:

Run the boat on a shop fuel tank (outboard 6.6 gallon size) and see how it runs. NOTE: 6 gallons won't take you far at all! Might take a 2nd tank of fuel to burn through all the residual fuel in the fuel filters and pump. If still getting that noise, would suspect engine timing is not 100% or tune up is required.