A-Aron

Battery setup

8 posts in this topic

I'm a new owner of an '02 260 SSI. Can anyone tell me if the batteries are installed correctly? Everything seems to be working fine but I want to make sure because they don't hold a charge very well. I had both batteries tested and they said they were good but only had 60% charge. The manual says to start the engine and then put the battery switch to the 1 position while driving to charge both batteries. Any help is appreciated. I have added a pic.

IMG_1067.JPG

You say the manual says start the engine and then switch to 1 to charge both batteries.  What is selected for starting before you switch it?  

You generally start on 1 and then only switch to 2 when you need power and the engine isn't running then back to 1 to start again.  Both would only be for low battery situations where 1 wouldn't start it by itself (which may be your current situation).

I am assuming the switch is the off/1/2/both variety? 

How old are the batteries?

Have you had the boat out and ran it for an extended period of time before you tested the batteries or was this after it had set for an extended period of time?

make sure because they don't hold a charge very well. I had both batteries tested and they said they were good but only had 60% charge

How about having them charged and load tested BEFORE venturing out on the water. Then have the engine charging system tested to make sure the engine is

capable of charging batteries. Trying to charge up weak/damaged batteries with the alt can destroy it also and leave you stranded.

I do not remember the minimum battery voltage a alternator can charge into continuously.

Hopefully new units can reduce current as they heat up.

They are both brand new batteries. I just installed them but was unfamiliar with the setup and wiring and wanted to make sure I was charging both when the selector switch was on 1. We took the boat out all day yesterday and I never moved the selector switch off of number 1. It fired right up each time. The batteries I took out were very weak and I had them tested with the same results. Autozone said they were both good and both at 60% charge. Not sure why they were not holding the charge. Thanks for you input. Did the wiring on the battery look correct?

On 8/4/2017 at 2:06 PM, A-Aron said:

The manual says to start the engine and then put the battery switch to the 1 position while driving to charge both batteries

This wont happen unless there is some sort of ACR/VSR or diode or solenoid type combiner. A volt meter would confirm the operations.  

1 hour ago, A-Aron said:

They are both brand new batteries. I just installed them but was unfamiliar with the setup and wiring and wanted to make sure I was charging both when the selector switch was on 1. We took the boat out all day yesterday and I never moved the selector switch off of number 1. It fired right up each time. The batteries I took out were very weak and I had them tested with the same results. Autozone said they were both good and both at 60% charge. Not sure why they were not holding the charge. Thanks for you input. Did the wiring on the battery look correct?

Speaking for myself, I would need to see a schematic on how the batteries are wired. The pic is great, but I can not see all the connections. This would be from the battery switch to boat batteries. Also what kind of battery switch, single or dual battery switch.  If there is a ARC or VSR, please add that in. Without it, its a guessing game.